Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,721
I use MMO and Lucas Fuel Treatment (a similar oil-like substance that you also use at a 400-to-1 ratio in the gas) in my GM 350 marine inboard.

Rust and corrosion are an ongoing headache in boats, especially saltwater boats, and even more so now that we're using E-10 gasohol.

I figure the MMO and Lucas snake oil can't hurt, and they just might help to keep my throttle-body injectors from gumming and other parts of my fuel system from rusting/gumming/clogging.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #17
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Heres a thought about oiling your air tools. When do you oil them? Most people say they put a few drops in the air inlet when they are ready to use them. Wrong time! You should oil them right before you put them away. This way they are stored with oil inside instead of moisture from the air line!
If you oil them after you use them, won't there ALREADY be water inside them? And won't the oil just "sit on top" of the water and not be distributed throughout the tool?

On the other hand, if you oil them before using them, won't the compressed air help distribute the oil throughout the tool, and thus lubricate the moving parts, while acting as a film to protect the metal from the water that will accumulate in the tool as you use it?

Not arguing...just askin'
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #18
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I put an ounce in a full tank on my older bikes. I was told a long time ago that it helps lube the top end- not a bad thing on stinky old Beemers and such.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
Toolman
toolman

Oddometer: 120
oil before of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop
If you oil them after you use them, won't there ALREADY be water inside them? And won't the oil just "sit on top" of the water and not be distributed throughout the tool?

On the other hand, if you oil them before using them, won't the compressed air help distribute the oil throughout the tool, and thus lubricate the moving parts, while acting as a film to protect the metal from the water that will accumulate in the tool as you use it?

Not arguing...just askin'
If there is a excess moisture problem in the airlines I would put more than a few drops and flush it thru by blipping the trigger until I got oil instead of water out of the airtool exhaust. I would rather chase the water out with oil than viceversa.

Toolman
KTM 250xcfw
Husaberg 501
Husqvarna 430WR
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
A friend of mine reccomended MMO to free a galvanic corosion weld on a old bicycle seat post stuck in the frame. I'll give it try.

I was going to try Aerokroil but it's harder to find.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
A friend of mine reccomended MMO to free a galvanic corosion weld on a old bicycle seat post stuck in the frame. I'll give it try.

I was going to try Aerokroil but it's harder to find.
Wonder what would happen if you mixed a little actone in with the MMO?

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,040
BUMP!

A few months ago I picked up a nice, clean seemingly well-kept Acura Integra with 150,000 miles.

The only real problem with it was that high revs it was blowing an oil cloud out behind me. The discussion of course was about worn rings, or maybe stuck oil control rings.

Last week I changed the oil, and poured in most of a quart of MMO. 5 days later it seems to have done the job, no more blue clouds!

The best $5.95 engine rebuild ever!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,602
I haven't used it for years (since I put my tach/dwell meter on the shelf), but like to have a container on the shelf over my Bench in teh Entropy Lab, just because it looks right up there.

I also turn on baseball games when spinning wrenches, sometimes, even though I'm not a ball fan, because a shop with a game on the radio just seems right.

;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Oil threads FTW

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
MMO is one of the best smelling oils out there! Don't really know how well it works...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Bean (castor bean) oil is better due to the addictive smell.
Also, a teaspoon or four also helps free up yesterday's long overdue dump.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
MMO has many uses and for some I have no doubt that it is an excelent choice. However as a diesel fuel addative it is not a good choice. not only does it not do any good it actually does do harm. Here is a link to a very exhaustive study which was funded by internet forum users so it has no industry bias or links.

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/educ...%20results.pdf

For thse also using lucas as a fuel addative it showed that is does minor harm but fel within the stastistical variability of no improvement/ no harm.

The reason for using a diesel fuel addative is to lubricate the injectors which was previously done by the sulfer in the fuel but has now been removed for improved air quailty
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
BUMP!

A few months ago I picked up a nice, clean seemingly well-kept Acura Integra with 150,000 miles.

The only real problem with it was that high revs it was blowing an oil cloud out behind me. The discussion of course was about worn rings, or maybe stuck oil control rings.

Last week I changed the oil, and poured in most of a quart of MMO. 5 days later it seems to have done the job, no more blue clouds!

The best $5.95 engine rebuild ever!
My Dad swore by MMO, when he got out of the Navy in the early 70's and moved us back to TN. he bought Mom an old Rambler to drive to work, it smoked but not for long, as soon as Dad changed the oil he put a pint of MMO in the oil and the car soon stopped smoking.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #29
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
MMO is one of the best smelling oils out there! Don't really know how well it works...
Don't have any miracle cure stories but I have put a little bit in the gas tank on my Airhead once in awhile. I have used it to lube air tools and yes the stuff smells really great. Might be the most remarkable thing about it but I hope that there is some benefit to it also.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #30
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
years ago I had a 82 s10 v6 5 speed, that would consistently get 1 to 2 more mpg with MMO in the tank, about 4 oz per 20 gallon tank. Usually went 20 to 30 more miles before fill-up. I have tried this on every vehicle since, and there has never been a change. BTW I used M1 in the crankcase.

When the crank broke, the inside of the engine was clean, no ridge, and pistons were tight. Sold it to a kid that wanted to put a v8 in it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote