ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
I had a temporary problem running a rough section of high desert out by the Colorado river. Turns out all the banging around had caused my direct wire to the battery and the actual battery leads to come "unglued". The Zumo was switching between power on and battery mode.

Did not want to shut down the motor till I was back on tarmac and help nearbye. After a little screwing the Zumo was OK.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Attention: he has been saying that it won't power up either on the motorcycle OR the car cradle. So, unless both failed at the same time (low probability), the problem is not in the cradle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms969
Bad cradle???
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #18
BushWacker Rob OP
BushWacker

Oddometer: 69
Sent my Zumo 550 into Garmin for repair. It will cost $150.00 and Garmin said they would send me a refub Zumo.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
freedomtwoup
freedomtwoup

Oddometer: 97
Garmin Zumo won't power up in cradle

Spoke with Garmin last week, they sold me a new cradle at a 50% discount.
Unit powers up perfectly now.

Probably should have it mounted on the handlebar with a Tourotec locking mount,
because of the vibration on the windshield mount.

Ride safe.

David
freedomtwoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Not the cradle in this case folks! The Zumo 550 will be damaged when the pins on the cradle get corroded and short out the Zumo. Garmin $150 rebuild to fix it. Mine is with them now getting this service. Watch the cradle pins (cover when Zumo off) and keep an eye on corrosion or water there which will short out the Zumo.

I was lucky enough to have an extended warranty on mine, first time one of those ever paid off for me....it was free when I bought my unit from GetFeetWet.

See my post about this here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620605
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I am having similar issues, my unit stopped working about an hour after crossing the Mexican border earlier this year. So much for all my carefully planned routing ... After I got back, I found out about the reset thing, did that and it worked again intermittently. I had to reset it every couple of days. I then left it in a drawer for three months and now it seems to be working again, though all my confidence in the unit has gone.

May be time for another brand ...

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I'm now locked in deadly battle with my 450. Same thing. Would not power up in the cradle. Battery only. I stuck it in my truck cradle and it worked fine. So I just got a new cradle. But, guess what? Still doesn't work. Luckily, there's a 30 day money back garantee from GPSCity. So, I just ordered a new cable. If that's not the problem, I think I'll just pull my hair out.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #23
Tiger800
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Garmin Zumo 500 will not power up

Hi Bushwaker which pins did you get a reading on through your mount. I have tried a meter across opposite pins in the two rows and only got a small reading on 3 pairs, the max volts being 4.3.

I bought the Zumo and mount etc from a chap on eBay last year and it seems to work OK and just had the mount fitted to my new Triumph Tiger 800 but I hadn't used it before so took it out for a test run yesterday. It was working OK but noticed after about an hour that the Low Battery message was on so just touched the screen to get ride of the message and the Zumo continued working until I got home (30mins)

When I got home I put the Zumo on mains charger which is not a Garmin one but my old HTC phone charger but has charged the Zumo OK the last ten or so charges so can't see it being the problem, it started to charge OK and I switched it off after about 5 hours.

I spoke to a friend who has a Zumo about the warning being displayed and he said he had seen it himself when he hadn't charged it for a while and it was on the bike mount. He also said that the mount doesn't charge the Zumo but just supplies power for it to work while mounted. My Zumo hadn't been charged for a couple of months so was probably low when I started out.
After speaking to Garmin UK about how to test whether the mount was charging they said it should automatically switch on when it has remote power which it does when being charged on connected to the PC. I didn't notice this yesterday as I switched it on before starting the bike.
So this morning I tried it on the bike but nothing happened, I made up a lead with a Hella plug so that I could try it in the power socket through the mini USB charging plug on the Zumo, still nothing so I took it in doors to try it on mains and PC but still nothing, completely dead! I have tried everything I can find on the web about booting up a dead Zumo, battery removal, re-setting using the on/+ buttons, power & finger on bottom right of screen and connecting to PC but to no avail.

It was working OK yesterday and nothing now since charging it last night. HELP PLEASE SOMEONE any ideas. I still want to check the mount power supply though as the bike goes in for its 1st service next week and I want them to check their connections if the mount isn't receiving power.
Thanks, Alan
Tiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,959
The Zumo motorcycles cradle, when working properly, will charge the internal battery of the GPS. The external contacts on the cradle are deceiving when trying to measure continuity and voltage. There is an internal circuit boad in the cradle that handles voltage and switching between the GPS and the cradle. You will not see +12 volts DC or ground on the exteranal cradle pins that you would normally expect to see.

Most, but not all Zumo 550 charging problems I've seen are directly related to the cradle. If your Zumo will take a charge through the the mini-jack on the bottom of the GPS, the problem is most likely a bad cradle. If your Zumo will not charge at all using the external charger, then the problem is in the GPS.
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #25
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,798
Besides the pins on the cradle, has anyone had issues with the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo wearing through and not allowing a complete circuit? Several of my contacts on the bottom of the Zumo appear as if the cradle pins have been erroding them which may lead to poor or intermitent connetion... Can they be fixed without going the re-furb route?
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #26
Adventure170
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Garmin 550 will not Fire Up

Ok--I've got a major problem with my 550 too. Used it the other day in the car cradle--no issues. Next time I went to use it--dead. Tried the cradle-nothing; tried the USB plugin--nothing; plugged it into a wall source--nothing; removed/reinstalled the battery--nothing. The thing is deader than a doornail. There were no indications of the battery life going down, and I've never had any problems with the battery or the unit itself. What's going on?
Adventure170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
On the battery charging front I've noticed that in both of my cradles with constant power if I power off the 550 with its button it says it's charging the battery. I think that's evidence it charges on both mounts.

No help on your issue though. Just because you could check to see if one or both are getting power to the mount.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure170 View Post
Ok--I've got a major problem with my 550 too. Used it the other day in the car cradle--no issues. Next time I went to use it--dead. Tried the cradle-nothing; tried the USB plugin--nothing; plugged it into a wall source--nothing; removed/reinstalled the battery--nothing. The thing is deader than a doornail. There were no indications of the battery life going down, and I've never had any problems with the battery or the unit itself. What's going on?
Just about to leave on a 500 mile day and my zumo wouldnt power up - pulled the battery for a minute and its good. Thank god, need my XM!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #29
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Besides the pins on the cradle, has anyone had issues with the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo wearing through and not allowing a complete circuit? Several of my contacts on the bottom of the Zumo appear as if the cradle pins have been erroding them which may lead to poor or intermitent connetion... Can they be fixed without going the re-furb route?
I received a refurb 550 and now have no problem with the unit powering up in any of my motorcycle mounts, some of which caused power up problems with the old unit.

The contacts of my old unit were definately erroded enough to cause intermittent conection.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
mlstults
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am on my third Zumo 550. They suck! The first time it falled, I was in Mexico. When I got home I called Garmin and they told me it was 2 months out of warranty and that cost me $150 for a refurbished unit. I lost all me routes. Started over again with unit #2 and 7 months later it falled. Now on my third unit, it shuts down, locks up and is generally worthless as a GPS. Usually I can plug in to my computer or the wall charger and get things going again. Today, nothing works. No Nothing. I'm sick of having to pay $150 for a used refurbished units that has falled some one else. Is there a better GPS out there? Oh yes, I have also had to replace the motorcycle cradle. I just thought it cost a lot with the original purchase. It seems you just keep paying Garmin as long as you own a zumo.
Lost in Texas
mlstults is offline   Reply With Quote