ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Hoak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Pulling The Pin: Yamaha XT1200Z Mail Order?

I'm ready to do it, there are great deals to be had on 2014 Yamaha XT1200Z's everywhere but close to me; and right now the travel time to an out of state dealer that has the bike I want at a price that's irresistible is just too much time out of my schedule to get it done.

I've never purchased a bike over the phone to have it shipped; it seems fairly straightforward and reasonably safe, but if anyone that has experience with this I'd greatly appreciate your input, recommendations, and suggestions.

Inter-City Auto Transport, Inc. gets good reviews on US Ship. I haven't settled on a Dealer, but something closer to Minnesota (my home state) might save a little on transport costs, but the cost differences are small so reputable dealer and transport company recommendations are more important and would be very welcome.

Lastly as I'll be paying cash, with a cashier's check or money wire I assume, so I'm obviously concerned about how to make a safe payment settlement safely on a large purchase like this remotely. While I trust most reputable Dealers will do the right thing, is there anything to look out for here or a best way and means to settling the sale?

Hoak screwed with this post 06-13-2015 at 05:41 PM
Hoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Bhart89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Before you buy anything I would call Romney Cycles. Even with shipping they may be your best bet.

http://www.romneycycles.com/2014-Yam...d=40&Type=1787
Bhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Hoak OP
Adventurer

Thank you Bhart89, sounds like a strong recommendation; will do it! I can't fine any new 2014 Super Tenere's listed on their site as inventory, I'll give them a call Monday. Have you done business with these fellers yourself and like them, or is it just that they do really well on price?

Hoak screwed with this post 06-13-2015 at 05:42 PM
Old 06-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
ironbutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoak View Post
Thank you Bhart89, sounds like a strong recommendation; will do it! I can't fine any new 2014 Super Tenere's listed on their site as inventory, I'll give them a call Monday. Have you done business with these fellers yourself and like them, or is it just that they do really well on price?
I have purchased two motorcycles from Romney Cycles, they are super easy to deal with, everything was very straight forward. Probably my best purchase experience ever (and I am not local, it was all over the phone).
ironbutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoak View Post
I'm ready to do it, there are great deals to be had on 2014 Yamaha XT1200Z's everywhere but close to me; and right now the travel time to an out of state dealer that has the bike I want at a price that's irresistible is just too much time out of my schedule to get it done.

I've never purchased a bike over the phone to have it shipped; it seems fairly straightforward and reasonably safe, but if anyone that has experience with this I'd greatly appreciate your input, recommendations, and suggestions.

Inter-City Auto Transport, Inc. gets good reviews on US Ship. I haven't settled on a Dealer, but something closer to Minnesota (my home state) might save a little on transport costs, but the cost differences are small so reputable dealer and transport company recommendations are more important and would be very welcome.

Lastly as I'll be paying cash, with a cashier's check or money wire I assume, so I'm obviously concerned about how to make a safe payment settlement safely on a large purchase like this remotely. While I trust most reputable Dealers will do the right thing, is there anything to look out for here or a best way and means to settling the sale?
What kind of prices are you finding on 2014's ?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 AM   #6
Hoak OP
Adventurer

Bhart, ironbutt, GAS GUY: THANK YOU! Looks like Romney Cycles is out of 2014's from their site's inventory but I haven't had time to call them yet (72+ hour work week)...

GAS GUY I've found new 2014's priced as low as $11,799, and $12,000 seems fairly common, but I don't have a lot of context for what's reasonable for a new 2014, or even the current model year out the door.

All the recommendations here are greatly appreciated, and I see a lot of positive feedback about Romney Cycles here and elsewhere so that does sound like the 'go to' dealer, that will at the very least be at the top of my list to talk to.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Hoak OP
Adventurer

Looks like I'm a 2014 Super Ténéré owner! Thanks everyone for posting! Only issue so far is my right front turn signal is dead, everything else exceeds expectation.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #8
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
So, how did it finally go? Was shipping expensive and did they handle the bike carefully? Did you find a decent deal?
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #9
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 258
And how was setting up the bike out of the crate?
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #10
pbj
pbjim

Oddometer: 7
"Bueller...Bueller...?"