User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #1501
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Hey G.

I almost snapped that guy up when I first saw the CL ad.

Because I'm in the peoples repulic of Kaleeforneea, I figgured registering it with an old FL title would be too troublesome and I didn't want to physically harm any DMV workers. Hopefully your state is a bit more liberal when it comes to getting a plate.

Happy the bike it going to someone who appreciates it.

Some Transalp parts will fit. The RD04 side panels will fit but the RD03 had a bit of a different paint scheme and, I think, a different way to mate the side panels to the front fairing. The words "Africa Twin" that are totally on the RD04 sidepanels are partially on the tank of the RD 03 so paint doesn't match between the two models. To be honest, I like the 03 paint better.

A total change to a RD04 front end would require a new front fairing support bracket since the front fairings for the 03 and 04 were a bit different. Instruments are the same. The 04 front fairing also uses a different windscreen than the 03 but these are available from Twisted Throttle.

If the bike has the original fuel pump, this may be a source of trouble. Many guys have replaced it with a Facet electric pump. I've had good luck with the vacuum operated Mikuni. You will also probably find clogged pilot jets. The TA uses #38 pilots but I think the 03 was a bit bigger. Maybe check the xrv.org.uk site for the right numbers. Clean or replace as necessary

The rear side panels and rear subframe for the 03 and 04 are also different but I think you were mainly concerned with the front.

Who knows......Zebra might just grow on you. I think the bike will look better in person than in the photos.

Let us see the bike once you get it....I sure wish one would turn up with a CA plate already on it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #1502
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

....also.....

If it were me, as eager as I'd be to ride it, I'd choose to trailer the bike home. This will help you be patient. Since it hasn't run for a few years I would:

Drop the old oil....do oil and filter change

Drop the old coolant and replace

Open and check the airbox and filter. (One "barn find" I bought a few years ago actually had a family of tiny critters living in the airbox...the bike didn't want to run on straw and bits of cotton)

Pull the plugs and run the starter motor without resistance for a couple of minutes to circulate the new oil through the cylinders, head and cams

Drain old fuel (and maybe water condensation since you're in THAT part of the world) and fill er up with good gas.

Try to start it then but don't be disappointed if it doesnt' run without the enrichener since the pilots are probably gummed.

Pannier mounts and most everything for the RD07 won't fit the RD03. The rear 1/2 of the frame on the 07 is very different. I don't think bag mounts for the Transalp will work either since the 03 has a rear "sub-frame" hung off the back that the TA does not have.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #1503
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,989
Buy it !!!, the RD03 is the pick of the AT's as far as Im concerned , I owned one for a while at the same time as my RD04. The 650 is only a tinny bit slower and is noticeably lighter and better on fuel. I only kept the RD04 as Im a big bloke and it's a bit bigger than the 650 and suited me.

All the Hawk 650 hot up parts fit the engine as well. Parts are a little bit harder to come by than the 750's but there is still a lot floating around. Search ebay Germany direct, many dont list posting OS as an option so wont come up in a US search but if you contact them a lot are happy to post OS. AT's are still a bit of a cult bike in Europe so parts on ebay sometimes go for amazing prices.

Welcome to the club

Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #1504
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Buy it !!!, the RD03 is the pick of the AT's as far as Im concerned , I owned one for a while at the same time as my RD04. The 650 is only a tinny bit slower and is noticeably lighter and better on fuel. I only kept the RD04 as Im a big bloke and it's a bit bigger than the 650 and suited me.

All the Hawk 650 hot up parts fit the engine as well. Parts are a little bit harder to come by than the 750's but there is still a lot floating around. Search ebay Germany direct, many dont list posting OS as an option so wont come up in a US search but if you contact them a lot are happy to post OS. AT's are still a bit of a cult bike in Europe so parts on ebay sometimes go for amazing prices.

Welcome to the club

Thank you kind sir .......

It's a pleasure to finally be part of it ........

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1505
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
....also.....

If it were me, as eager as I'd be to ride it, I'd choose to trailer the bike home. This will help you be patient. Since it hasn't run for a few years I would:

Drop the old oil....do oil and filter change

Drop the old coolant and replace

Open and check the airbox and filter. (One "barn find" I bought a few years ago actually had a family of tiny critters living in the airbox...the bike didn't want to run on straw and bits of cotton)

Pull the plugs and run the starter motor without resistance for a couple of minutes to circulate the new oil through the cylinders, head and cams

Drain old fuel (and maybe water condensation since you're in THAT part of the world) and fill er up with good gas.

Try to start it then but don't be disappointed if it doesnt' run without the enrichener since the pilots are probably gummed.

Pannier mounts and most everything for the RD07 won't fit the RD03. The rear 1/2 of the frame on the 07 is very different. I don't think bag mounts for the Transalp will work either since the 03 has a rear "sub-frame" hung off the back that the TA does not have.
Yo .... Ladder106. Thanks for all the bits-O-info. I've already settled on towing it home, primarily for those exact reasons. And yeah .... I planned on doing an oil and filter change, dropping the gas and replacing, same with the coolant ...... also I was going to check the hoses and so forth.
When I got my 92 TDM, I didn't check the hoses ...... did everything else ..... well, about 6 weeks into having it, I was working on it, just moved one of the fuel hoses, and the damn thing cracked right there in front of me, and I just had gas F'ing spewing everywhere .......

Since then, I've made it a point to do a real good once over on every bike I obtain ............

Pics will be coming soon ..........

G.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #1506
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
With that said, here's a specific question - I have a set of Hepko Becker Gobi panniers, and all of my other bikes have the HB hardware on them so I can just flip flop the Gobi's onto which bike I'm going to be riding.
HB has mounts for the TA, and I believe the RD07 - I'd have to check again - but what are your thoughts on that, because I really don't want to kick out the cash for another set of hard panniers ...........
I bought a set of HB bag mounts from ebay.de for my RD04 and fitted the Gobi bags on it. But I've had a lashing on how wide the setup made the bike look. I admit it does make my ass look wide but I don't have time right now to put my spin on it. What do you think?

Jim.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #1507
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

LOOK WIDE !!

Good Grief Jimmy, it IS wide!!

Good thing you Colorado guys can't split lanes (the ONE good thing about riding a bike in CA other than the ocean, the mountains, the desert and lots of badly maintained roads)....you sure couldn't do it with those bags on

I think there is actually room for another bag between the bike and the bag...if you know what I mean. With all your welding and fab skills, I'd expect those guys to be just barely kissing the body work.

I guess you could actually put the bike on its side and sit out a snow storm under it.......hey is this more lashing?? I'm up way too late.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #1508
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

....hey Jim....is that a Acerbis roadbook holder on your bars? I just got two of them from Jason at MX1West.

Having a bit of trouble with the rollers being tight and it trys to rip the paper apart before it actually rolls. Any tips??
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #1509
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432
Rd03

So you bought it....If you change your mind, tell the owner to stow it on the boat and bring it down to the caribbean that I'll buy it!!! Never mind, just kidding.

Go for it and don't look back. I own a TA and did the AT conversion from an RD03. eBay France is the other possibility to get parts and accesories, and they are willing to do business with you. I noticed that most of ebayers from France accept Paypal, which is less expensive for transfering funds.

Before doing the carbs, take out the petcocks and clean the screens. Be careful when removing the tank, because there are two fuel sensors connected. There is also a fuel pump and an inline filter after the pump that deserve an inspection or replacement.

Go to www.xrv.org.uk and there is a bunch of info and the manual for you to have fun!!!

Welcome and go riding soon!

Quote:
Yo .... Ladder106. Thanks for all the bits-O-info. I've already settled on towing it home, primarily for those exact reasons. And yeah .... I planned on doing an oil and filter change, dropping the gas and replacing, same with the coolant ...... also I was going to check the hoses and so forth.
When I got my 92 TDM, I didn't check the hoses ...... did everything else ..... well, about 6 weeks into having it, I was working on it, just moved one of the fuel hoses, and the damn thing cracked right there in front of me, and I just had gas F'ing spewing everywhere .......

Since then, I've made it a point to do a real good once over on every bike I obtain ............

Pics will be coming soon ..........

G.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #1510
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Talking

I don't have the Africa Twin anymroe but used to and absolutely loved it, my first taste of the big go anywhere machine!

But the even bigger KTM is definitely an upgrade!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #1511
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
....hey Jim....is that a Acerbis roadbook holder on your bars? I just got two of them from Jason at MX1West.

Having a bit of trouble with the rollers being tight and it trys to rip the paper apart before it actually rolls. Any tips??
Lube the rubber bushings with some silicone spray. The plastic roadbooks are not that sturdy. I have cracks in mine and I seal them up with RTV. This one's been around for a few years.

My outriggers... I mean Gobis will be relocated this summer under the wide ass protection plan.

Jim.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #1512
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Check the Transalp Mod thread for photos of the uber-cool TA/AT side panels that Carlos made. Since you might be doing a repaint anyway...now is the time to consider that mod.

Carlos probably has photos of the RD03 front fairing bracket, and I have one of the RD04 bit if you want to compare the two.

Lotsa help here between the two threads.....tomorrows the BIG day....Gluck....oh yeah, it's a good idea to have someone else safety check the trailer chains and the bike tiedowns.....if you're like me you'll be too excited and let something slip.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #1513
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
I bought a set of HB bag mounts from ebay.de for my RD04 and fitted the Gobi bags on it. But I've had a lashing on how wide the setup made the bike look. I admit it does make my ass look wide but I don't have time right now to put my spin on it. What do you think?

Jim.
K .... yes, they are wide Jim. But if you look at the distance between the pipe and the inside of the pannier, there's not much space. I think it's moreover that the bags are in fact above the pipe and could come in closer to the body.

With that said, you mentioned that you didn't have time to put your spin on it ...... does that mean you do fabrication and / or altering?

Because if so, maybe we could work out some sort of deal, that if I procured some HB hardware, you could alter it for me, for a fee of course.

A friend of mine in town is a fabricator, and rides, but he's never had an AT, where you are knowledgable with them .....

What do you think?

Oh - and even though they're wide - your bike looks sweet.

G.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #1514
G-Funk

Quote:
Check the Transalp Mod thread for photos of the uber-cool TA/AT side panels that Carlos made. Since you might be doing a repaint anyway...now is the time to consider that mod.

Carlos probably has photos of the RD03 front fairing bracket, and I have one of the RD04 bit if you want to compare the two.

Lotsa help here between the two threads.....tomorrows the BIG day....Gluck....oh yeah, it's a good idea to have someone else safety check the trailer chains and the bike tiedowns.....if you're like me you'll be too excited and let something slip.
Yes, please post some pics of the RD04 ......

Carlos .... could you post some pics of the RD03 front fairing bracket ?????

Excitement ????? Oh Yeah !!!!!!!! That's why I'm also bring my friends along ... they'll be checking the trailer chains and tiedowns after I'm done with them ......
:
:
I'm already drooling guys ................

G.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #1515
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
K .... yes, they are wide Jim. But if you look at the distance between the pipe and the inside of the pannier, there's not much space. I think it's moreover that the bags are in fact above the pipe and could come in closer to the body.

With that said, you mentioned that you didn't have time to put your spin on it ...... does that mean you do fabrication and / or altering?

Because if so, maybe we could work out some sort of deal, that if I procured some HB hardware, you could alter it for me, for a fee of course.

A friend of mine in town is a fabricator, and rides, but he's never had an AT, where you are knowledgable with them .....

What do you think?

Oh - and even though they're wide - your bike looks sweet.

G.
I can do it but there's nothing like someone in town, right there to take orders. I would get some HB bag mounts from any bike and have your friend adapt them to your bike. I'm not a certified welder so I tack my pieces together and take it to a professional. I know my limits. Here's an example of what a BMW oilhead front frame should look like, able to accept a conventional front end. Beautiful welds, don't you think?

Jim.