Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #1621
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 580
Was that the swap in Menomonie on Sunday?

Nice find!
mrfixit54016 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #1622
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016
Was that the swap in Menomonie on Sunday?

Nice find!
Woodstock IL.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #1623
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
africa twin

just letting you all know that yesterday i made my AFRICA TWIN 100% legal in canada. that's right it passed the safety ,i got insurance and it has an ONTARIO,CANADA plate. in the end all it really took was for me to pay some taxes ,but no more that i would have paid for any other bike. this was by far easier than i thought it would be. I'll tell you, if i find another AFRICA TWIN or SUPER TENERE under the same circumstances you know all be buying it. it's just too easy and even though my AFRICA TWIN is not perfect after riding a bit I THINK I GOT A HUGE BARGAIN.

on a side note to papa pete , thanks for posting the pics for me and so far i have seen 2 DR BIG for sale ,one in ontario ( toronto) and one in quebec city. if anyone is interested in the quebec city one, i can have my friend check it out ,he found me my KZ1000R ELR there.

COLORADO 2008 AFRICA TWIN SUMMIT MEETING ,HERE WE COME.

NORTH RIDER
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #1624
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete
Well I went to a swap meet and had to have this NX250 to add into the clan. So here it is with the rest of them. NX125 NX250 XR650L and the
best for last XRV750
Nice !!!!

Ok, stupid question everyone ...... I'm trying to find the german site that has the plastic dash covers and I can't find it, at least not yet.

This place makes plastic covers for an RD07, which I'm thinking I can shape to size over the aluminum ones. Does anyone know where this site is at?

And / or .... does anyone know of a place that does RD03 dash covers?

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #1625
at_dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
End of August sounds good to me also. Has anyone used a 17t sprocket on the counter shaft? Are most people using the clip master link or the riveted type. I am in the process of replacing the chain/sprocket kit and it comes with the rivet type. That nx250 looks like fun.
at_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #1626
SandraAT
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
Nice !!!!

Ok, stupid question everyone ...... I'm trying to find the german site that has the plastic dash covers and I can't find it, at least not yet.

This place makes plastic covers for an RD07, which I'm thinking I can shape to size over the aluminum ones. Does anyone know where this site is at?

And / or .... does anyone know of a place that does RD03 dash covers?

G.
Hi,

This one?

It`s made of aluminium with 3mm thickness. But i`ve never heard of one made in plastic.

Greetings

Sandra
SandraAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #1627
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,808
Welcome Sandra!!....... and a perfect way to start your first addition.

Great information and even a photo.

I have to walk gently in this thread since my bike is really a Transalp but thought I'd play "ambassador" anyways.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #1628
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Welcome Sandra!!....... and a perfect way to start your first addition.

Great information and even a photo.

I have to walk gently in this thread since my bike is really a Transalp but thought I'd play "ambassador" anyways.
You're so "international" Ladder106 ............

Greetings Sandra .......

Yeah, I've seen those aluminum dash covers, but I swear I saw a link off of xrv.org.uk for a site that made plastic ones .......
I looked around for a number of hours, last night, well on that and some other things for my RD03, but I couldn't find it. Also, though, the XRV site was moving really slow last night, so at one point I just gave up in frustration and went downstairs to have some BBQ chicken and some beer.
Today I will continue the search ......

Thanks for chiming in, and as Ladder said, Welcome!

G.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #1629
G-Funk

Talking Next stoopid question .......

Does anybody know where I could score one of those tripmeter units that's featured in the picture by Sanda, and the pictures by NorthRider ??????

G.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #1630
G-Funk

Talking Let the dashboard debate begin .......

Whew ....... K, well I found that place that makes the plastic dash covers. It was embedded in a reply to a post on the XRV site.

I'll attach the link to the website at the bottom of this e-mail ..... the place is in Portugal.

Anyhow, the plastic cover is for an RD07 as well, like the aluminum one, but I noticed something about it when I looked at the picture. So I want everyones oppinion about going with the plastic dash cover or the alum. one, because either way I would have to modify it, and now I'm not sure which one would be easier to alter.

Picture of the alum. dashcover:

As you can see in the picture, it appears to be a flat 1/2 moon like piece of aluminum.

Picture of the plastic dashcover:

You can see in the picture all the angled bits ....... which could be a problem, maybe. If the plastic cover were a flat 1/2 moon design, I wouldn't be posting this question.

So with the knowledge that the front cowl on an RD03 and RD07 are different and that the spacing on the inside of the cowl will be different between the two bikes, which dashcover do you all think would be easiest to modify?

Here's one more pic of the plastic cover mounted.

And finally, the linky:

http://www.partsforat.com/

Oh, and here's another linky to a site that sells "Africa Twin" decals, in case anyone is looking for some .....

http://www.decalsandstickers.co.uk/c...oducts_id=2727

Seriously, let me know what you guys think about the dashcovers ............

Take it easy everyone and ride safe!

G.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1631
G-Funk

2nd Tripmeter question ......

K, I've found one ...... whether I win it, or if they'll ship overseas is unknown at this moment ..... I plan on e-mailing the seller shortly ....

But here's my question, and it's regarding the electrical connection ....

Will the tripmeter hook up to my RD03? I noticed in the picture of the tripmeter unit, that it has a modular type plug at the end of the cable.

Will it work? And / or, what would I have to do to properly hook it up to my RD03?

Thanks .....

G.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #1632
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Dashing for a dash

I remember both were on ebay at the time I got mine @. They both have appeal, but not sure how the plastic would stand up to cutting holes in it
compared to metal.

Not sure I should say that since I work with plastics, but hey that gives me
some leway as I know some plastics will take the abuse and some won't.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #1633
G-Funk

Talking A new, and different "Dash" approach .....

Pete ..... good advice and good info! I'll be getting in touch with North, to do just that ...... I.E. - the tracing paper outline.

But I did some measuring, and looking, and comparing, and the "arch" of the cowl on the RD03 is so utterly different than the arch on the RD07

Good Lord .... what have I gotten myself into with this steed ????

Ironically, and I think I'm going to PM a few peeps that have both TA and @ knowledge on this, but .......

So I was checking out all the misc. bike plastics I have and doing a bit of organizing and I came across the stock shield of my 89 TA .....

Side note: Now with all of this going on .... I want another one .... just because.

And so tonight when I was checking out the cowl on the RD03, I was like .... wait ..... the curva (or i) ture of the RD03 cowl and that of the stock 89 TA shield were really, really, close. I won't digress too much, as I have a lovely BBQ chicken breast (w/seasoned fries and a side salad) awaiting me shortly ...... but on the RD03 there's an elongated flat spot between the right and left arc, that is not present on the RD07. After comparing some pics on ebay.fr of an RD07 cowl, and mine, and looking at the RD07 alum. & plastic dash covers ....... it totally would not fit on the RD03 without major mods.
:
Whereas I'm beginning to think that the curve factor is more closely related to a TA's curve and it's plastic ..........
:
So what I'm going to wind up doing, is getting a trace of the RD07, do my own trace on cardboard of the RD03 curves, work the 2, come up with something, and either have a fabricator with steel and alum. come up with something (which I know someone), or find a plastics shop locally to come up with something.
:
I'll post pics as it goes .......

All in all we're not talking about a great deal of fabricating, and I hope to have this done by the NAM.AT summit ....... That sounds so political .....

btw - how did you aquire your XRV750 ??????

G.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #1634
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,976
Afew goodies,

38L tank - http://cgi.ebay.de/Africa-Twin-38-Li...QQcmdZViewItem

Foam airfilter - http://cgi.ebay.de/Filtro-Aria-Air-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #1635
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaxrv
Thanks for sharing the pictures! I also have the same problem with the fender, although I have the stock set-up. I'm thinking of just grabbing a saw as a possible solution.
Easy fix here !!! It is in two parts, and made of aluminum. The front part you see,
and then there is a another plate welded on behind that bolts to the skid plate. This is my first attempt, I think
it should be about an inch shorter. A common problem with the AT,
as I have had to replace two front fenders that caught on the skid plate after hitting a big pot hole. I have put
these on all my bikes, and have never had a problem since.

beemer boy screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 01:04 PM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote