Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #1651
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeickey
Just randomly picked this guy up in Florida...Now I had a TransAlp in the past but this bike rocks! I know they are rare but how rare?

Hey, that's my "old" bike. Wow, it made it to FLA pretty quickly. That floozy gets around. Just kidding.

Braking front brake rotors, some decals removed (too much pink), Riky Cross engine guards, Corbin seat, Touratech Zegas powder coated, Chase Harper rear semi-soft bag, trip meter converted to mph. All done by me. I believe the guy I sold it to replaced the chain and sprockets up in Denver.

A liitle history on that bike, I picked it up in Orange County, CA. Flew in, rode it back to CO without a plate but had insurance. The next day, I got the VIN verified and went to the DMV to get it titled and plated. 45 minutes (there was a line). The guy in CA tried to do it the "legal" way and showed me his stack of red tape.

Hope you can make the NA AT Summit towards the end of August. It's fine with me on the date guys. It'll be like a homecoming for that bike.

Jim, who just got back last night.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #1652
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Old bike

So is a RD04 or a RDO7? Also it must just be the angle of the photo to give the bike the single headlight look?
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #1653
Jim Rowley
Rise above

1994 RD07 with dual headlight.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #1654
at_dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Question

hey jim how did you convert the trip meter to mph? I know my xr600 has an old mph one but it mounts different
at_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #1655
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Trip meter instructions

You can find more at http://www.atic.org/faq/tripmaster.php.

Here are basic instructions.

Jim.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #1656
shinoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
I have been called many things in my life, but cannot recall being called genius...
The aluminum plate is 4.25 inches wide, and about 4.5 inches tall. The thickness is the same as the skid plate. The plate welded on behind is the same thickness, and extends down about an inch as I recall. It could be made a bit shorter as it does not really need to be that tall to stop the fender from binding. However it also stops the mud flung off the front tire from entering that area as well, a trifling side benefit. My other amusing mods to a Africa Twin are here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=50630&page=86
very inspirational mods there beemer boy, please can i check with you where did you find a "three light solid state voltmeter" at your region?
shinoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #1657
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
The voltmeter was bought in America. The link to it is here.
http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna_charge.htm

Here is a detailed shot of the voltmeter. Also a few mods I forgot to put in before.
Green means all is well and red shows you have entered a discharge state. Orange means over voltage, time to change the regulator before everything electrical on the bike dies !!!

Speaking of regulators, they tend to die early deaths due to overheating from almost no air flow under the side cowling. So time to put in a cooling fan that switches on with the ignition, thus blowing cooling air on the unit.

The two plugs that connect to the regulator also seem to fail fairly often. Solution is to cut them out and wire them directly. In essence removing a failure point. Don't forget to tie wrap a spare 30 amp main fuse next to the starter solenoid.

Or your connector plug may end up looking like this........

Put a hoop on the side stand to make it easier to swing out with a muddy boot.

The new center stand lever in the up position.

Some dimensions if you are bored and want to make one. To center stand the
bike now requires no effort at all, even fully loaded.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #1658
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Mods or updates?

I'd call these updates as apposed to mods. Very nice improvements to your machine beemer boy!
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #1659
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Hey, that's my "old" bike. Wow, it made it to FLA pretty quickly. That floozy gets around. Just kidding.

Braking front brake rotors, some decals removed (too much pink), Riky Cross engine guards, Corbin seat, Touratech Zegas powder coated, Chase Harper rear semi-soft bag, trip meter converted to mph. All done by me. I believe the guy I sold it to replaced the chain and sprockets up in Denver.

A liitle history on that bike, I picked it up in Orange County, CA. Flew in, rode it back to CO without a plate but had insurance. The next day, I got the VIN verified and went to the DMV to get it titled and plated. 45 minutes (there was a line). The guy in CA tried to do it the "legal" way and showed me his stack of red tape.

Hope you can make the NA AT Summit towards the end of August. It's fine with me on the date guys. It'll be like a homecoming for that bike.

Jim, who just got back last night.
Hi Jim .....

Hope you had a good time, and welcome back from TX!

Hey, I'm gonna PM ya, but I wanted some insight to the DMV peeps, in regards to the "small talk". I'm taking my 650 in this week to my DMV to get her titled and registered. She currently has an FL, 2005, plate and legal FL title, but any insight you can give me with talking the talk, if I need to, with the DMV rep would be greatly appreciated.
I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly at the DMV .... it took my insurance company a number of days to get back to me about even insuring it ..... which they did.
I'm hoping the people at the DMV just look at the VIN on the title and then on the bike, and that they don't even think twice about it ..... and basically tell me, give us 95 bucks, here's your plate, and you'll get the OR title in 3 to 4 weeks in the mail ............

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #1660
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete
I'd call these updates as apposed to mods. Very nice improvements to your machine beemer boy!
+1

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #1661
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
I'm hoping the people at the DMV just look at the VIN on the title and then on the bike, and that they don't even think twice about it ..... and basically tell me, give us 95 bucks, here's your plate, and you'll get the OR title in 3 to 4 weeks in the mail ............

G.
That's pretty much it. DMVs are cash strapped too and will take your dough. As long as you show a title, proof of insurance and they verify the VIN, you're golden.

Jim.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #1662
at_dirt
Adventurer

Hey Jim thanks for the info on the trip meter. When I took mine apart I found that the speed and mile points already had the resistors in place. I still seem to only get kph, not mph. I read the ATic site and I wasn't sure if they were telling me I should undo the speed resistor if I wanted to get the mph. It's probably been a while since you did yours but do you remember if you used both resistors or just the one between the mile points. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #1663
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Sorry Scott, I can't remember. It's been almost two years. Maybe if you ask Eeickey nicely, he could open it up and snap a picture.

Jim.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #1664
Jim Rowley
Rise above

NA AT Summit

Can we pin down an exact weekend? I'll be glad to host it. So if you pick a time, I can do some planning. How does the weekend of August 29-31 sound? Please chime in. Yes Ray, you're welcome too.

Jim.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #1665
at_dirt
Adventurer

That date sounds good to me. I will keep working on the trip meter and let you all know what I find out. Mario, the chain for the AT is the DID 525zvm2, or you can use a 525vm2 instead. The chain and links are the same as used on the the cbr 600 from 1997-2000, the cbr 600 2004, the 750 nighthawk 1992-1993, just make sure that you check out the length to make sure that you have enough links to cut it to the length that you need.