Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #2956
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,418
We've done that someway or another....he already has the tire, so why not trying it?

A-Wind, you are an instigator...

If I ever go bigger, I'll go for the 150/70-17, unless the more experienced guys here have another opinion...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #2957
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
A-Wind, you are an instigator...
I'm just trying to be funny. As far as the WITDH of the swingarm I think the 150 Anakee might work, since the 140 Desert works great despite the nobby. I also checked on AT-Forum Germany and found people who have mounted this tire on the original rim.

HOWEVER!!!

Our rims in the back are 3.00 rims. According to Hagon Wheelbuilders Tire/Rim Table in the UK, for the 150/70 you would need at least 3.50 rims or bigger. Click: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/WheelTab.htm

So as far as I'm concerned, I would only mount in combination with a bigger size rim.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #2958
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

I got it A-Wind!

Now that you say it, I think that was one of the concerns back then, because a smaller rim will alter the curve on the cross section of the tire. Gosh, a wider tire will look good an tha bike...

Thanks for the input, and I was joking too!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #2959
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
The white is probably the "Artic White" not the pearl. The Pearl was the Transalp white. From what I hear it's a real pain to paint and even harder to match.

Luckily the AT has plainer colors although I bet there's some bue in that Artic white.

My rear fender was painted red to match the side panels and the red AT stripe on the side fairings.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #2960
Lear60man
Sleeping

Oddometer: 717
Hey im in for the Kali rides! Ill bring the little Rothmans TAAT. FWIW The transalp white is the same as the RC30 white.

I need a TA engine guy in the San Fernando valley to play with the carbs. Local Honda people wont touch it as they have a problem with the aftermarket Yoshi pipe.
Christian
Lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #2961
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
The white is probably the "Artic White" not the pearl. The Pearl was the Transalp white. From what I hear it's a real pain to paint and even harder to match.

Luckily the AT has plainer colors although I bet there's some bue in that Artic white.

My rear fender was painted red to match the side panels and the red AT stripe on the side fairings.
Agreed .....

After looking more at the colors on the color sheet, and comparing them to the plastic, it looks like the Artic white is more "close" than the pearl.

Here's another thing I just found out, but I don't have all the details yet.
Apparently sanding plastic is bad, because it can scratch up the plastic, and I guess places are using some sort of bonding agent as a primer, that they (the paint places) heat the plastic up to some degree, and apply this primer bonding agent over the current color, let it set, and then you just paint over the bonding primer.

Has anyone heard of this? And does anyone know anymore on it?

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #2962
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
I'm not a paint guy but I've had good success with maroon scotchbrite pads to scuff surfaces up before painting.

As long as you don't use 40 grit and stick to triple digit sand paper, you should be fine. (200, 300, etc...) Also, take it easy on edges and corners. It's easy to cut through the paint all the way down to the plastic in those areas.

Jim.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #2963
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Paint and plastic

This is something I know about. All plastic can be sanded, but like Jim said don't get after it with anything less than 150 grit. The type of plastic used on most bikes has a nice sheen on it that only needs to be de-glossed in order to get the paint to stick. If you cheap, go out and buy plastic spray paint in a can at China-mart. That has all the info on the can you'll need to get a pretty good job on the finish.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #2964
bajadawg
Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Trans Alp for sale

I ride a DR 650 but was cruising craigslist this morning and came across this. Thought someone here might be interested. Location is Northern Virginia.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...974130156.html
bajadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #2965
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 201
Hello !

Look this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TbvJ...e=channel_page

Hungarian Cross Country Winter Rally

temperature: morning: -13°C, afternoon: -9° Celsius :)
place: Tatárszentgyörgy, military zone

Happy New Year !
Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #2966
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
I'm not a paint guy but I've had good success with maroon scotchbrite pads to scuff surfaces up before painting.

As long as you don't use 40 grit and stick to triple digit sand paper, you should be fine. (200, 300, etc...) Also, take it easy on edges and corners. It's easy to cut through the paint all the way down to the plastic in those areas.

Jim.
Interesting that you say that ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete
This is something I know about. All plastic can be sanded, but like Jim said don't get after it with anything less than 150 grit. The type of plastic used on most bikes has a nice sheen on it that only needs to be de-glossed in order to get the paint to stick. If you cheap, go out and buy plastic spray paint in a can at China-mart. That has all the info on the can you'll need to get a pretty good job on the finish.
I was talking with my boss yesterday afternoon ..... my boss is one of those guys that has done pretty much everything ..... at least it appears that way. He was saying the same thing about just scuffing up, or de glossing the current finish so the new paint will stick to it. He suggested using 250 grit sandpaper .....
But I could see how the scotchbrite pads could also work ........
I plan on removing the front cowl and fender in the next day or so, and get all my materials to start prepping the plastics over the weekend ....
Then paint them next week ........

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #2967
Flying*D
Nobody can stop us..

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_ro
just recived a slightly used michelin anakee rear tire 150/70/17 would it fit right on my africa? i just wanna see how it acts so if i like it i'll buy them new in summer
It fitted quite well on a 2002 AT.. however it didn't really improve anything compared to the 140...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #2968
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all!

Wishes of health, love and money, and time to spend it all riding!!!!!

locorider screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 03:09 PM
Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #2969
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Feliz año a todos. Chúc mừng năm mới. Bonne année a tous. Frohes neues Jahr an alle. Felice anno nuovo a tutti.

Jim.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #2970
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Feliz año a todos. Chúc mừng năm mới. Bonne année a tous. Frohes neues Jahr an alle. Felice anno nuovo a tutti.

Jim.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote