Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #286
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,592
Oh... you're a lucky dude to flat foot that sucka!
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #287
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
headlights

Thanks for the compliment. These days it's a little Frankensteinish looking as I used the old drill and stitch method of repair to fix a crack that had been poorly glued or poorly welded. I don't mind, I'm not that pretty either.
I've fallen in love with my AT, so I've purchased a newish tank on ebay.de , as mine has some rust, bondo, and missing bits. I'm also thinking about putting the real Twin back in, if I can find a 650 for the right price. The idea is that if/when I leave Korea in August 2006, it'll come with me.
The lights are a safety issue and a pet peeve of mine, so they are a priority. A friend is doing a funky rewiring job on his TA400 to accomidate a H4 80w bulb. I might follow suit, better safe than sorry, but I may stick to the 55w. (Frankenstien is better than the Blob.)
More advice is always welcome.
Cheers
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #288
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Oh... you're a lucky dude to flat foot that sucka!
Haha... I have to admit, the AT is the only bike I've owned that has been proportional to my 190cm(6'3") 120kg (260lb) frame. I look like I belong in Mario Cart or the Shriners when I'm driving my Daelim VF125 or qhwn I had my Honda TRX250.

Macosie screwed with this post 12-06-2005 at 07:22 AM Reason: afterthought not worthy of another post. ;-)
Old 12-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #289
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macosie
Thanks for the compliment. These days it's a little Frankensteinish looking as I used the old drill and stitch method of repair to fix a crack that had been poorly glued or poorly welded. I don't mind, I'm not that pretty either.
I've fallen in love with my AT, so I've purchased a newish tank on ebay.de , as mine has some rust, bondo, and missing bits. I'm also thinking about putting the real Twin back in, if I can find a 650 for the right price. The idea is that if/when I leave Korea in August 2006, it'll come with me.
The lights are a safety issue and a pet peeve of mine, so they are a priority. A friend is doing a funky rewiring job on his TA400 to accomidate a H4 80w bulb. I might follow suit, better safe than sorry, but I may stick to the 55w. (Frankenstien is better than the Blob.)
More advice is always welcome.
Cheers
I'm running some old Hella bulbs leftover from a Rover upgrade from waaaaaaaaaay back. I've got a set of IPF bulbs in my Rover now that run at 55/60W, but produce much better candlepower (pkg. says they produce 110/130, but I wouldn't go that far). Most brands (Hella, PIAA, IPF, etc.) have this type of bulb... and I'm not talking about some boy-racer blue light HID lookalike thingy here either. Just more light with the same draw. Anyway, I bring this up as I plan to install some better bulbs in both my bikes like I've got in the old Landy. I don't think I'll go IPF as I'd like to find a more local brand that most auto shops stock. I these bulbs run cooler to the harness... and maybe to the lens (not that a fella would be kissing his lens or anything of the like ). I say this, but guys here don't appear to be having any trouble running the 80W bulbs so... WTF do I know anyway?! I think I just like the idea... the peace of mind... from running lower watt bulbs.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #290
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
Ive got 80/110 globes in my AT no problem, though my bike has relays on the high beams from the factory
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #291
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM   #292
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I say this, but guys here don't appear to be having any trouble running the 80W bulbs so... WTF do I know anyway?! I think I just like the idea... the peace of mind... from running lower watt bulbs.
I'm also thinking that my bike already doesn't charge fully if I run with my lights on all the time... I'll set up some relays, some chunkier wire, and stick to the 55/60s. Yup peace of mind... Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #293
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Wayne... thanks for posting. Be sure not to "move" those photos or delete them as they make for a great how-to.

I've not even looked at the one on my RD03. I know all the bad press on 'em... I'll probably order up one of those pumps at some point. Hopefully it won't be when I'm really F'd and in need though.
Sorry if this is a really late reply...

But Mod you wouldn't have any trouble with you fuelpump...
The design on your old AT with only one tap is safe until you run out of gas, and you won't do that will you???

The problem on the newer AT and the pump is that they got 2 taps and when one of the "pockets" get empty and starts pumping air it's at that time the pump gets overheated and the "connector" get burned...

I've never heard of anyone with a newer AT (running with alots of fuel in the tank all the time) have a pump go dead...

/Zappa
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #294
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-Zappa
Sorry if this is a really late reply...

But Mod you wouldn't have any trouble with you fuelpump...
The design on your old AT with only one tap is safe until you run out of gas, and you won't do that will you???

The problem on the newer AT and the pump is that they got 2 taps and when one of the "pockets" get empty and starts pumping air it's at that time the pump gets overheated and the "connector" get burned...

I've never heard of anyone with a newer AT (running with alots of fuel in the tank all the time) have a pump go dead...

/Zappa
Interesting. I know from being an ex-Rover mechanic that the EFI Land Rovers (Range Rovers, Discoverys, later D90/110) will burnout a pump like that if you run 'em out of fuel a few times. Yes, the pumps need the fuel to live a long happy life. Now, by taps... meaning petcocks or fuel valves on the tank right? My RD03 (just like the RD04) run two petcocks. One off each side of the tank. So, maybe I'm not so lucky after all, but then... I don't run the fuel down that low. At least, not on purpose anyway. Also, one of my low fuel warning senders doesn't really work. It's not a big issue as I keep track of the miles/kilos and the "red" super low light still works.

One thing I've always liked is a res. setting on a bike. The early ATs don't have one, but the strangely the later ones do. Maybe a res. setting on a bike that runs a fuel pump isn't a good idea, but I sure like having that "shite happens" extra bit of fuel on tap when I've brain fart'n forgot to keep tabs on the levels. I know a couple dudes only run off one side of the tank (using just one of the two petcocks) and then switch over to the other tap once the fuel runs out. Like you said Zappa... that's not a good idea I don't think. To run a pump dry often, even for just a seconds at a time, reduces the life of it. That said... a fella does what works for him and his bike. I'm sort of creature of habbit when I find something that works.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #295
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Africa Twin
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-09-2005, 07:05 AM   #296
Ola
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Here are the picture of my AT (RD04 1991):

...more pictures taken during services can be found from from my "servicediary"; www.munhiekkis.fi. Also i have to apologize that my pages are in finnish so there might be some difficulties to understand the point of pictures :)

Ola screwed with this post 03-07-2006 at 04:02 AM Reason: changed source of pictures
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #297
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Hey Mod, can the AT side panels and rear fender bolt up to the TA?
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #298
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Hey Mod, can the AT side panels and rear fender bolt up to the TA?
I can't really answer that one anymore Jeff... the SuperEnduro is all I've got now in the form of a TA and it's... well... been mod'd up. I do remember thinking it all looked way too familiar back there on the AT when I had it all apart awhile ago. I've sold off all my TA bits as well... so there's no way to tell if things would just bolt to the AT either. This is coming back to bite me on the ass really... selling off perfectly good TA bits for something as common as... as... money.

Maybe one of our International AT/TA owners could be of help here?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #299
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Here are the pictures of my AT (RD04 1991):

And the same from behind and front
...more pictures taken during services can be found from my "servicediary". Also i have to apologize that my pages are in finnish so there might be some difficulties to understand the point of pictures :)

That's a sweet ride you've got.
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #300
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Weird clutch sounds

My '98 RDO7 has been developing somewhat funny sound coming from my motor , when I pull in my clutch . As soon as I let go my clutch and during riding thae sound is gone .I have replaced all my clutch plates and new steel plates as well as springs . Like I have mentioned it only happens when the clutch is being engaged . My guess is , it could be the same as a manual transmission car which has developed a bad release (throw out ) bearing .Has someone else had the same problem . I must add my bike has 62000 km with a lot of riding in thick sand and mud , which means using a lot of clutch .

I would appreciate any advice .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote