User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3031
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,418
Luner:

Thats a great idea. It could be made to hang lower to hold panniers if you need to! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luner
Thanks

Yup, they're dry bags strapped to a home-made steel frame. It's a cheap, tough, waterproof system. I cut the back off the seat and made up a longer top rack too to carry lighter stuff

Below is a picture of the rack with no luggage (In the middle of a solo, two-hour extraction from a muddy oued).

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #3032
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luner
Hi

Attached are a couple of pics of my AT in Morocco over the Christmas holidays

Luner

Simply splendid .....

I wanna go to Morroco now, as well as, Oz ......

Outstanding setup, eh .........

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #3033
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
yes

okay, enough, right ? u get the picture.
Morocco is really great !
All picts came from our last trip to Morocco. other bikes were a 800GS and a 1200GS. not shown here for obvious reasons

Anton, the AT owner wish to install a larger tank. I mean a greater capacity tank. there's an italian company which is doing this, located near Cuneo.
Anyone installed such a thing already ?
/thierry
Lovely .......

Great pics!

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #3034
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
A bigger tank ads lots of weight, and in the wrong area! Consider that!

Great pictures and I love that blue color!
I don't know of any better place on the bike. And for the Sahara the 400km on road or 250km in deep sand of the original AT tank are insufficient.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #3035
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
And for the Sahara the 400km on road or 250km in deep sand of the original AT tank are insufficient.
yep.
that's why Anton wishes to have a greater capacity tank. just a tad bigger. not too much, u're right, or the AT will be a pain.
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #3036
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

The AT is a top heavy bike and a bigger tank will make it even more. If you can deal with it, is your choice, go for it.

But there are other means, like the side panels tanks. You can buy a side panel tank here... http://www.boano.com/special.asp?id=51&mod=no which will help in keeping the weight low, while adding 17 liters of petrol.

Another radical move, will be to build a tank where the airbox/ or battery box resides, if possible. I've heard about this before but dont know if it is possible.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #3037
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,982
Interesting email I got

Hi Greg

I have two sets of oversized pistons. Both of them have been used, but only very briefly. One pair of pistons are 82mm which gives a capacity of 760cc's. The other pair are 87mm and give a capacity of 860cc's. Both are in excellent condition and come with piston rings and pins. The 87mm pistons are on an engine that has been modified, therefore, to take the larger pistons new oversized liners were inserted into the barrel. Also, the crank cases had to be bored to accept the larger liners and a pair of high performance conrods were manufactured for this engine. Also, the cylinder heads on this engine have been gas flowed. All of this is available, although I do not know how much it would cost so far as postage is concerned. I see from your email address that you are in Australia. Where abouts are you?

I will try and take some photographs and email them to you when I get a minute.

Regards
Bobs
Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #3038
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 967
the Marathon website

Today it's exactly twenty years from the last 11th Paris Dakar stage, so I thought it would be nice to upload my little effort, here:

http://www.nightwings.org/Marathon/Marathon-home.html

only in Italian and a work in progress, I'm still collecting infos and photos and when complete I'll try to translate in English and French.
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3039
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
What?

Quote:
The AT is a top heavy bike and a bigger tank will make it even more. If you can deal with it, is your choice, go for it.

But there are other means, like the side panels tanks. You can buy a side panel tank here... http://www.boano.com/special.asp?id=51&mod=no which will help in keeping the weight low, while adding 17 liters of petrol.

Another radical move, will be to build a tank where the airbox/ or battery box resides, if possible. I've heard about this before but dont know if it is possible.
Not to piss on your parade, but aren't you riding a want to be Africa twin?

The rally bikes all had the larger tanks and the seat tanks for more petrol. So whats the big deal, the bigger tanks carry the fuel low on the sides of the motor. That looks alright to me.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #3040
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Papa Pete:

I said that if thats ok for him, go for it! Yes I'm riding a "want to be AT" TA, (And I dont want to hurt your feelings, but it is "basically", and I mean "basically" the same bike with a bigger tank and better looks! ) and it is top heavy. That doesnt mean I dont like them. But if there is a way to make them lighter, why not do it.

But again, if thats the only option for long travel, make it bigger and fill-it-up!

Luner:

I wonder, why did you took off the gas tank at the mudhole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete
Not to piss on your parade, but aren't you riding a want to be Africa twin?

The rally bikes all had the larger tanks and the seat tanks for more petrol. So whats the big deal, the bigger tanks carry the fuel low on the sides of the motor. That looks alright to me.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #3041
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
TransAlps, Africa Twins, AfricaAlps....

.... They're all cool and so are we.

A wise man once said, "can't we all just get along?". Then again, I shouldn't be one to talk....
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #3042
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Quote:

With the rear tanks it gets difficult to mount pannier and boxes. With fully loaded boxes the rear frame already starts feeling rather week. Then add the weight of the fuel...

The bikes (TA and AT) jump / fly / land really nice, even with full tanks, and, when you know how to do it, also with bigger tanks. But me personally, I would not go for more than 45l in a front tank.

Cheers, Andy
Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #3043
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Neither I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaxrv
.... They're all cool and so are we.

A wise man once said, "can't we all just get along?". Then again, I shouldn't be one to talk....

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 AM   #3044
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

It's all based on the kind of riding you do and your preferences. On Rallies, you dont carry panniers and you do jump a lot. On touring, you do carry panniers or a nicely constructed rack, like Luner's. But I do like Luner's approach, it seems practical, and it may accomodate the side tanks.

But maybe, a bigger tank will give you some security, being in the middle of nowhere without fuel is no joke, but trying to lift a fully loaded bike is another thing...

But believe me, this is all about experiences, opinions and preferences and being different doesnt make you wiser, better or greater...just different. We may disagree, but that doesnt mean we wont get along! Tell me! I've been married for 22 years!

This is whats all about! At the end, we all ride, no matter if it is a real scooter or a wannabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
With the rear tanks it gets difficult to mount pannier and boxes. With fully loaded boxes the rear frame already starts feeling rather week. Then add the weight of the fuel...

The bikes (TA and AT) jump / fly / land really nice, even with full tanks, and, when you know how to do it, also with bigger tanks. But me personally, I would not go for more than 45l in a front tank.

Cheers, Andy

Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #3045
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Quote:
It's all based on the kind of riding you do and your preferences. On Rallies, you dont carry panniers and you do jump a lot. On touring, you do carry panniers or a nicely constructed rack, like Luner's. But I do like Luner's approach, it seems practical, and it may accomodate the side tanks.

But maybe, a bigger tank will give you some security, being in the middle of nowhere without fuel is no joke, but trying to lift a fully loaded bike is another thing...

But believe me, this is all about experiences, opinions and preferences and being different doesnt make you wiser, better or greater...just different. We may disagree, but that doesnt mean we wont get along! Tell me! I've been married for 22 years!

This is whats all about! At the end, we all ride, no matter if it is a real scooter or a wannabe!
Sorry, I didn't want to offend anybody. I thought I was just offering my experience of 50.000km with this setup as I had the benefit of the expierences of everybody here.

Cheers, Andy