Thumb

now that's fucking proper

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #3662
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
I'm testing out an LED Voltage unit now. It's about as simple as it gets, 5 LEDs to indicate charging/on the edge/discharging. Cheap, two wire, effective, just not as neat as little numbers.

Should sell for about $20, sound interesting?

I'll try and get some pictures online later today.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #3663
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog

now that's fucking proper

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #3664
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
Something like this here:

However the one on the above picture needs a 5V power supply and is not sealed.

Does anybody have an idea where I can get something like this as SEALED and READY to connect (two wire version).
Also it should not really be much wider than on the pictures.

try here

...or this sellers store.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Asia-Engineer__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Not sure if those ebay ones are waterproof but the price is right if you don't mind dealing in China.

Or go LED with a Dyna Charge Monitor if your concerned about your regulator/rectifier failing. I've had mine for a few years now and it has been great. Stick it on top of the trip meter and be done with it.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bike-te...e-monitor.html
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #3665
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
...I'm testing out an LED Voltage unit now... ...Should sell for about $20, sound interesting?...
Well, I need nummerical values. This is in order to control the Voltage Regulator Rectifier, which supposedly fails rather often. Before it completely goes, early symptoms are rising voltage and failing of electrical components. That is why there is a need for monitoring.

QGPSD750: The led unit is a mature design. It looks great, has just the right size too. Of course I'm missing digits here too.

A-Wind screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 08:22 PM
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #3666
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Ok here I've put a preview online:
http://easternbeaver.com/Main/New_Stuff/new_stuff.html

The unit works well. Green LED means over 12.5V, two yellows are for 12V, 11.5V, and red for 11V.

So as soon as you're in the discharge zone you'll see the first yellow come on, when both yellows are lit your situation is getting serious and when the red comes on you better take measures to get home.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #3667
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Jim, it might sound crazy, but I'm not too worried about low voltage. I'm worried about the high voltage that occurs when the regulator start failing. So what I'm looking for is something that is rather dormant and ONLY start warning above 16V. If this is a one LED based system, there should be a distinguishing of voltage around 16V and voltage way above 16V in order to sense the urgency.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #3668
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

If you want actual Voltage to set a regulator, use a VOM.

For a digital meter on the bike, the Datel is the best, easy hookup, 12V and exact Voltage constantly displayed. I think they come in different colour LEDs too.

I kind of like the LEDs better for actually alerting you to trouble. You may not notice the digits while a glaring yellow LED that comes on may attract your attention more.

I always wanted a Datel myself, just love numerical info on actual Voltage but the reality is the LEDs are more effective to alerting you, and that's really what you want.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #3669
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Ya I agree it would be nice to have an over charge situation, high Voltage LED on the far right!

Perhaps a Datel and a Battery Monitor would be best of both worlds.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #3670
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Datel looks good. I'll consider it, although it is a bit expensive.

Jim, how much would you charge for a one LED based unit that only warnes above 16V?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #3671
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I need nummerical values. This is in order to control the Voltage Regulator Rectifier, which supposedly fails rather often. Before it completely goes, early symptoms are rising voltage and failing of electrical components. That is why there is a need for monitoring.

QGPSD750: The led unit is a mature design. It looks great, has just the right size too. Of course I'm missing digits here too.
Who needs digits? The dummy light is all I need to see of the impending doom when the voltage/rectifier goes into a high voltage situation.

I have never ever seen the r/h LED illuminate on my Dyna Charge Monitor...and I hope I never do. If I do see it then it's key off and about a 5 minute task to plug the spare volt/rectifier in.

Following is normal...at idle and headlight 'on'

Following is normal cruise or high rpm. You never want to see the r/h red LED on...which indicates a higher than normal voltage with risk of causing damage to circuit wires/lights and battery.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #3672
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:

Jim, how much would you charge for a one LED based unit that only warnes above 16V?
$45 here for the Dyna.

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...?prodid=325598

Click for the Product Manual
Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #3673
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Ok, it's a nice unit, simple and tells you what you need, but it's expensive for what it is.

My theory (yet unproven) for these reg/rect problems is to keep clean connections. When you get resistance there, things get hot, then you got problems. Everyone I've seen that had problems it seemed like there was a wiring problem. Like I said theory unproven I could be wrong.

Some people say they get too hot, poor airflow, yet they work for others for years problem free. Solid state devices all break down at the wiring, the weakest point in the system, and because of other things affecting them, could be a bad battery, improper polarity somewhere, leaking ground, etc. But the biggest problem is old corroded connections causing heat, melting overvoltage etc.

It is hard to make conclusions based on observation of bike without knowing all the data. More often we make assumptions based on the fact that others experienced the same problem therefore it must be a flaw in the unit, poor design etc. Common corrosion and resistance problems are more likely.

I'm just saying...

Had a great little ride today on the AT, decided to spring the extra for the Sahara 3 rear tire, that front tire took me through some wet roads with leaves all over them and really stuck to the road well. The rear T63 on the other hand stepped out a few times.

I basically decided you know what I don't really ride dirt why have dirt tires, I ride these gnarly narrow twisty mountain roads with rubble, sand, dead leaves and rocks and I want maximum traction, not tires designed for dirt.

I do go through bits of gravel, heck even some dirt at times, have gone through mud, sand etc but I haven't had any problem doing that with Trailwings and BT45s.

The Sahara does bother me though, it's so noisy it sounds like a fast moving tractor on pavement, but what the heck I have the front, might as well get a rear and run through the set.

I hope you all got out and rode today. I ended up working on the AT when I got home, had to change to original rear signals, clean up the wiring etc. Tomorrow I am taking the front fairing off and sorting everything up there. I may try and re-tweak the front at the same time.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #3674
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Quote:

I'll get back to you on price once I've designed the unit :-)

It looks to me though that a reasonably priced unit is needed, we already have overpriced ones available.

I'll put my engineer on it right away. Don't laugh, I have this Japanese friend, he used to specialize in industrial factory automation etc, and he really does help me out, a lot!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #3675
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Jim some more specs:

I'm really looking for something that has some smart electronics built in it and that does work UNOBSTRUCTIVE in the background.

So the unit should NOT flicker even if voltage is getting close to 16V. Nor should it flicker from voltage spikes. It should rather work like an SES light on the car: ONLY if voltage is getting over 16V for a longer period of time, like a second or so, light should illuminate. Even if the over voltage condition is resolved, the light should stay on and clear only after e.g. a period of 10 min. or with the cycling of the ignition key.

I know I'm asking for much, but why not make it right. Something like this would be worth some cash for me. I think it would also beat the existing lights on the market that blink and change color all the time.

If you think you want to go crazy on this, you could even make a low voltage warning based on the same principle. Using a dual colored LED with different colors for over voltage (e.g. yellow) or under voltage (e.g. red) condition.

Be advised: I took 16V as an example. Use any value you deem as an appropriate over voltage condition. It is allright, as long as the unit does not start alerting all the time if the voltage goes just a bit over.

A-Wind screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 08:05 AM