Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #3751
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
[...]I was replying to where you made it sound like all RD03s came with bulbs like yours. Let me make this clear - there's a whole big world of RD03s out there besides Italy and Germany, ok? I can assure you what you guys got for bulbs was not the norm for the rest of the world.
good point. My mistake, I really thought that all of the first year ATs (88) have the lights like in ravelvs post -> socket Ba20d which is commonly called Bilux-socked in my part of the world. In 89 they were replaced with H4 bulbs in the P43t socket and plugs in Germany, I don't know how long they kept it in Italy, and I really don't know what the did in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
Here's what you said: "the old RD03s are using bulbs with a socket that is called "Bilux" here. They got something like 45 / 55 W. There are special H4 bulbs with bilux sockets."

Now I'm going to correct you again, that socket is NOT a Bilux socket, there is no such thing. They may have been referred to as that so many times in your country that people started thinking it was actually the name of that type of socket/bulb but it's not, that was my point.

They are NOT special H4s either. If you think these are a type of H4 bulb then again you are totally mistaken. There is only one H4 bulb type and no other types are the same. There are some bulbs that look much like H4, much more than your bulbs, but they are NOT H4s. H4s fit H4 sockets, period. H4s are also called 9003 or HB-1, doesn't matter, those are just other names for H4.
this is the stock bulb in a german / italian 88 RD03 35/35W, called Bilux here, like in the picture ravelv posted:

When I'm talking about "special" H4 with bilux socket I mean this:

they can relplace the stock bulbs, are halogen and have 40 / 45W, they fit in the stock reflector and stock socket, but don't last very long, in my friends RD03 about one year, I don't know how many Kms.

Everything sorted out now?

Andy G screwed with this post 05-14-2009 at 09:30 PM
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #3752
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 228
Andy, thank you for clearing that all up, cheers!

You like the buttpad?
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #3753
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Looks nice! I used to ride on a complete sheepskin in the beginning of my Transalp days. Once i'll have to scan the old paper photos.

I like the heated riding gear you are selling, that stuff is so hard to find in Germany and extremely expensive.

Good night after 9 hours nightshift in the office, here it's 6:30 in the morning...

Andy
Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #3754
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
So, then RD03 also have H4 bulbs as well originally? This means that electrical power generated should be enough for two H4's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
....In 89 they were replaced with H4 bulbs in the P43t socket and plugs in Germany, I don't know how long they kept it in Italy, and I really don't know what the did in Japan.
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #3755
mazinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
My first RD03 '88 had the non halogene bulbs. I replaced them with an adaptor with 2 H4 bulbs and it worked fine for 4 years that I owned the bike. Both lights always worked simultaneously.
My present RD03 '89 already have the H4 bulbs as OEM...so I can assume electrical system can supply enough current whether the bike has the H4 or not...

MAZ
mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #3756
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,416
Well, it may. On my case, it is a TAAT so I did the whole wiring with dual relays.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #3757
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Bulbs

These are pictures of the now famous rare bulbs that came from France for my RD03 TA mod.

Sorry for the crappy blurry pics....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #3758
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 228
Those bulbs used to be quite common. Norton Commandos I believe used the same wimpy bulb or something close to it.

I'm not sure if my RD03 originally had H4s or if the reflectors have been changed. However, the H4s I found in it are 45/45 so I suspect original reflectors and bulbs.

It would appear the bike can keep 45w x 2 headlight burning, two modern H4s would only be an extra 20 watts and as the other guy said his burned them for years with no problems.

I going to add a Battery Monitor to my RD03 so I'll be able to tell if the battery is being charged even at idle with the dual 60/55 H4s burning.

Now the question really is, can it burn them and still heat my jacket liner in the winter?

I was thinking actually to make a relay kit where I could cut one beam at will. This way an extra 55 watts is available, plenty for my heated gear.

I noticed in some photos I saw and videos that Africa Twins were burning only one low beam and wondered if that is stock in some countries or if they happened to have a bulb burnt out that day?

Now I wonder if you burn two 55 watt bulbs perhaps the reg/rect would live longer not having to burn off so much extra power as heat :-)
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #3759
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

I think it was stock to have one low and two high. Mine had a small bulb on the lower part of the left headlight.

I run two low 55w and the power monitor will remain flashing red until 1500rpm. I was considering adding a switch so that I can turn one off when more output power is needed for the heated vest and hand warmers. I changed to LEDs on the taillight to conserve energy. At 1500rpms, with a green light, when I pressed the brake, it started to blink red, but know with the LEDs it stays green.

Again, this is for the TA alternator.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #3760
ravelv

Just opened XRV650 service manual, there is stated that XRV650 alternator gives 310W@5000RPM's. Same as TA.
If replace all other lights to LEDs, then power should be enough.

About headlight:

"
Headlight (high/low beam)
| 12V 35W/35W x 2
| F type: 12V 36W/36W x2
| SW type: 12V 60W/55W
"

I guess that F type is French and SW is Swiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Again, this is for the TA alternator.

ravelv screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 02:18 AM
Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #3761
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

In Germany it was not allowed to have two headlights with low beam on a motorbike. High beam was ok. This changed in 1996 when some EU law took over, now you are allowed to have two of them if your bike is newer than that. But nobody minds if you modify your old bike... That's the reason why most German ATs only run with one headlight on.

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 AM   #3762
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,984
ah, alternators & bulbs, fun stuff, the RD04 has a 360 watt alternator + my bike has H4 globes, no probs running 2 x 80/100 globes & heated grips.

A couple of the european RD04's imported to Oz came with with wierd yellow bulbs in their headlights, any ideas about that anyone ??
Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #3763
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

British imports maybe?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #3764
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

They should be french. They used to have that yellow stuff also in cars. It's said that the reflection of the yellow light in snow and fog is not so strong as with white or blue light and gives you a better visibility in bad weather.

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #3765
ravelv

OK, this means that RD04 alternator is one to look for to get more power. I guess it will fit also TA engine?
RD07 seems have something different, even engine cover on left are are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
ah, alternators & bulbs, fun stuff, the RD04 has a 360 watt alternator + my bike has H4 globes, no probs running 2 x 80/100 globes & heated grips.