Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #3856
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Still have those stickers between your fingers, Greg? Let me know if you're out.

Jim.
Thanks Jim,still got some !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abat
Hi Greg.
You're dashboard and the windshield looks good!
I just got my Trailtech dashboard and i still don't know what OEM scale should i use.
I've been told that the RPM scale on the trailtech is not as accurate as the original and i can see that you left the TEMP and the RPM guage.
Ive just been lazy, I will get around to connecting up the vapor tacho & temp. ive got some info on how to make the vapor tacho work properly, I'll find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Greg!

Hum hum hum...looks great! Did the wind screen came with the frame support?

The GPS mount came from Motobau

Quote:
Originally Posted by abat
BTW, how does the original scale can be taken apart like that?isn't it a one chunk?
RD03's & early RD04's before they got the Honda tripmaster have a seperate speedo , late RD04's & 07's have smaller tacho & speedo in 1 unit
Old 06-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #3857
atgreg
Africatwinarama

vapor tach wiring I picked up from another forum

Ok now the part you all really care about... The tach....
The answer is quite simple...
Noise, Yes signals from other plug/ devises (fan blinkers ext.) are interfering with the tach reading because the wires are exposed. I used a two conductor (One black one red wire) Shielded wire to fix this. The way thes works is the two wires run side by side as do the ones that come with the vapor BUT they have a aluminum foil like rap around them and one more bare wire touching the rap. This is a drain wire. I spliced my new shielded wire into the old wire up near the clip having as little wire as i could uncovered from the foil. I ran in along the harness and rapped it around the back side (Not top) plug wire leaving some drain wire to work with. I then spliced another wire to the drain wire and ran it to a good grounding spot. This grounded out all the interference and stopped all the jumpy ****. I also had to set my tach to .5 ppr. It now Shows idle at 1380 ish ( I adjust it alot) and seems to smoothly go through revs It drops revs sorta slow (not too bad calm down) but that might just be the bike.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #3858
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Head Bearings

Anyone know the kind/size of head bearings the RD03 uses? I'd like to replace mine, and the wemoto ones look pretty generic, so I'd ratehr just pick some up somewhere nearby instead of paying for bearings from overseas. Here's the link: http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=25276qqq25618

Also, what are some other good things to check for while that steering stem is out?
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #3859
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
Anyone know the kind/size of head bearings the RD03 uses? I'd like to replace mine, and the wemoto ones look pretty generic, so I'd ratehr just pick some up somewhere nearby instead of paying for bearings from overseas. Here's the link: http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=25276qqq25618

Also, what are some other good things to check for while that steering stem is out?
FYI
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-...streering.html

Just order the 91015-425-832 from your local honda dealer.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #3860
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Transalps has same size. There are rollers and ball type bearings, up to tastes.
I think, some XR's as well have same bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum

ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #3861
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiniver

Hey Andyg are you going to the ATmeeting?

Twiniver
No, I haven't been there. You have to register long time in advance it you want one of the rare places (it's a narrow campground in the castle with limited space) or rely on your luck that someone cancels his participation and you'll get his place. Anyway, I don't like organization too much and had to work till Fr. morning so would have been late. But I got the chance to meet my family on the other side of the mountains so I took some twisties this weekend:

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #3862
Twiniver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hey Andy. looks great, those pictures !!!! I went to Austria some years ago and went op Grossglockner, and had some great rides in the alps, i like the beer and a big schnitzel or fresh forel.....

Tschüs Twiniver
Twiniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #3863
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,431
Yes, XR650L fits, as I installed fork and triples and it was a direct swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv
Transalps has same size. There are rollers and ball type bearings, up to tastes.
I think, some XR's as well have same bearings.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #3864
abat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Yes, XR650L fits, as I installed fork and triples and it was a direct swap.
+1
I also have XR bearings.
abat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3865
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
added a new screen,we'll see how it goes,hopefullyit will throw the turbulent air over my head

compared to standard

Also fitted up my Zumo,still got to do the wiring.

Lookin' good atgreg ......

That shield's an MRA, correct? Looks identical to mine, and at highway speeds I have no buffeting .... though I'm only 5'10 ..... so even with the stock shield there wasn't really too much buffeting .....

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #3866
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
Lookin' good atgreg ......

That shield's an MRA, correct? Looks identical to mine, and at highway speeds I have no buffeting .... though I'm only 5'10 ..... so even with the stock shield there wasn't really too much buffeting .....

G.
yep, MRA touring screen
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #3867
Mistra Know it all.
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I see that people want to "upgrade" the AT. While you're free to do what you like, I sat for a long time one day with a beer or two, and decided that there's not a lot you can do to make any real improvement.

I have added an MRA screen. Some other minor stuff which doesnt matter.

You can spend a lot of time and money arsing around with fork changes and so on, but what do you get for all the grief? You could reasonably do stuff like change fork springs etc but that's about it.
"These EYES! That is the terror of it. These gloved hands I now look at, steering the motorcycle down the road were once his. And if you can understand the feeling that comes from that, then you can understand real fear -the fear that comes from knowing that there is nowhere you can possibly run."
Mistra Know it all. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #3868
Mistra Know it all.
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Nice of you to lump a whole country into the decisions of a handful. I'm not going to go on as this is not Jo momma. A ta santé.
Agreed.
"These EYES! That is the terror of it. These gloved hands I now look at, steering the motorcycle down the road were once his. And if you can understand the feeling that comes from that, then you can understand real fear -the fear that comes from knowing that there is nowhere you can possibly run."
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #3869
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,431
Front suspension issues

Well, you should keep an eye on the "Show us your Transalp Modification" (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7375) thread to see a light at the end of the tunnel for the front suspension performance issue. The RICOR Company(http://store.ricorshocks.com/default.asp) developed a device that goes into the fork and it seems that is doing its job pretty well. It has some kind of inertia valve that make the fork hard at sudden stops and soft on regular riding...

It is mentioned on the thread that RICOR is doing research for the AT's in the US...stay tuned!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #3870
Mistra Know it all.
n00b

Will do