User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #391
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
AAACCCCKKKK !!

That's a very unhappy bearing...the inner race looks pretty beat up too.

I'm afraid you are looking at an engine removal and disassembly/case splitting. The bearings wont be replaced any other way.....that and you have to find those loose balls. I'd count the number missing and try to find all the ones that went AWOL.

Hopefully, they are larger than any oil passage in the engine.

How many miles on the engine? Good thing you caught it before it totally lost support for the shaft.

Going to do it yourself?

Ray Stedronsky
Davis, CA
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #392
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question Sounding odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin-junkie
I have posted this here before , regarding my AT's funny sound coming from the motor.After finally opening her up , I was shocked to see what was the cause of the sound .
I hate to ask this... Was this funny sound kinda a groan when you accelerated?
I have a strange sound like that. I was hoping it was my old beaten chain, but it still there, and the chain is new. Doesn't happen all the time. I also thought it might be clutch slip, but again, it doesn't really real that way.
I've been dreading what it is, but nobody I know knows what it is, and it's shy. it's only done it for one other friend, and all he could say was "What the F###?"
Any ideas???
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #393
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macosie
I hate to ask this... Was this funny sound kinda a groan when you accelerated?
I have a strange sound like that. I was hoping it was my old beaten chain, but it still there, and the chain is new. Doesn't happen all the time. I also thought it might be clutch slip, but again, it doesn't really real that way.
I've been dreading what it is, but nobody I know knows what it is, and it's shy. it's only done it for one other friend, and all he could say was "What the F###?"
Any ideas???
As a matter of fact the sound was really bad if the bike is in neutral and the motor just idling . It would become more quiet if I pulled in the clutch and put it in gear.

a Quick test for you to see if your's has the same problem is to push the bike around in neutral . If your bearings are shot , you should hear a grinding sound . Hopefully it is not the same problem .

I am going to take a couple of months and rebuild my bike . She is special and has been a good bike . I have had the TWIN since new in '98 . The bike has 61000 km's but very hard miles , because of the off-road riding I used to do in Botswana and Mexico .

I am thinking of getting a CR500 front end with USD forks and a nice DAKAR style fairing .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #394
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a CR500 front end with USD forks and a nice DAKAR style fairing .
Like this?

Jim.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #395
Mz660
Rydethere

Oddometer: 333
If anyone is interested & forgive me, if this is the wrong place, but i just saw a 1987 600 trans alp for sale in Sherwood oregon {Cycle Trader}. I did not get the number, but it was 3800.00 with 13k, {i think} the cycle trader will tell all}
Mz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #396
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

That is more or less what I am looking at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Like this?

Jim.

That is pretty much what I had in mind , suspension related. I am thinking of painting it the notorious ROTHMANS colours plus powdercoating the frame gold with anodised rims .

But first I have to shop around for parts for the motor. Does anyone know where I can have some headers made . Mine is good , but it looks kind of skinny , and I know if I can go at least 5 mm bigeer in ID . I will be able to squeeze 4 HP more out of it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #397
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
If you want more HP, get a 700cc kit for your yank Honda GT650, they make a 1mm OS ( 765cc) on the AT and bump the compression up quite a bit. I fitted some Wiseco hawk 700 pistons to my AT, had to machine the skirts a bit so thay wouldn't hit the crank. They made a big difference to the performance of the AT especially in the midrange, after jetting my AT went from 50hp to 56hp. The bad sides are having to run premium fuel because of the compression and after 50,000km the pistons are worn out and the engine is chewing oil, it's not surprising as the recomended clearances for the wiseco's is twice the clearance for the standard Honda pistons. Im just in the process of fitting my spare standard AT engine. Im not sure what to do with my big bore engine, Im tempted by the 2mm OS (780cc) kit from Japan but its very expensive !!.

Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #398
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

good news

Quote:
a Quick test for you to see if your's has the same problem is to push the bike around in neutral . If your bearings are shot , you should hear a grinding sound . Hopefully it is not the same problem .
Thankfully, I don't seem to have the same problem as you, but I'm still not sure what my AT has...

I'm thinking clutch, but I don't get slippage or the gringing sound anythime other than acceleration, and it's only for a quick second. I am doing an oil change this weekend, and I'm switching to a diesel oil, since all I can get here that I trust is the Honda oils. and the problem started after my first oil change. hmmm...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #399
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,468
Who got this? WOW, a new AT in California. http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/145413524.html
Old 03-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #400
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Who got this? WOW, a new AT in California. http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/145413524.html
Yeah, let us know where this went! Is it still in California?
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #401
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,436
It wasn't me.
Jim.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #402
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a CHAMP combo , Mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
If you want more HP, get a 700cc kit for your yank Honda GT650, they make a 1mm OS ( 765cc) on the AT and bump the compression up quite a bit. I fitted some Wiseco hawk 700 pistons to my AT, had to machine the skirts a bit so thay wouldn't hit the crank. They made a big difference to the performance of the AT especially in the midrange, after jetting my AT went from 50hp to 56hp. The bad sides are having to run premium fuel because of the compression and after 50,000km the pistons are worn out and the engine is chewing oil, it's not surprising as the recomended clearances for the wiseco's is twice the clearance for the standard Honda pistons. Im just in the process of fitting my spare standard AT engine. Im not sure what to do with my big bore engine, Im tempted by the 2mm OS (780cc) kit from Japan but its very expensive !!.

Greg
Thank you once again for your input Greg . All of you AT guys are real good connections to have . I am looking at the Desert Queens setup , that they have for sale in Germany . Let me know what other tricks , you have up your sleeve.

Thank you once again.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #403
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Pictures of the Pump

OK... below is the fuel pump I bought. It's a Facet-type pump.
THe Ebay add stated:

12 VOLT UNIVERSAL

FUEL PUMP 3-5 PSI
5/16" OUTLETS
EASY TO INSTALL
UNIVERSAL FITMENT

I payed AU$ 38.50 + shipping for a total of AU$51.50 or about $36 US. For being shipped to Korea I'm SUPER happy about the price. From the States or Europe I'm usually looking at that kinda money for the shipping alone.
I still haven't installed it, but I think(hope) it should work fine. I'll use GSPD750's installation instructions from xrv.org.uk.

Video Sharing at DropShots.com

Old 03-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #404
John K
Ambitious but rubbish

Oddometer: 608
Fitted these a couple of days ago. They're the "standard" crash bars from African Queens (although they're actually made by Riky Cross).

Really easy to fit and I like the way they look. Not as big and gnarly as most of the the others, but should do the job OK (tested gently for photo purposes only!)

If you're ordering from African Queens be sure to check out their useful English language help page which is hidden here: http://www.africanqueens.de/html/how_to_order.html
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #405
TENERE
Wide Bars

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
It was me and it's still in California........
Attached Images

TENERE is offline   Reply With Quote