been on the MRT rally this weekend...
Awesome
Thanks for sharing.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4232
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
Wow ya, thanks for those photos. Some very interesting bikes have been created from the AT base. As to that first tasty tan and brown bike, where are the front turn signals?
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #4233
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
been on the MRT rally this weekend. It's said to be THE long distance traveller gathering in Germany. There where 60+ ATs and some TAs...

My buddy Shappy and his "Outback Twin". He did a 3 years 160k kms RTW trip on this bike. He rebuilt and repainted it afterwars. This bike got more mods than I can tell, e.g. 43l Touratech tanks, Wilbers shock, extended forks ...

Cheers, Andy
Aprilia Caponord Raid/Benelli Tre Amazona inspired

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #4234
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
Wow ya, thanks for those photos. Some very interesting bikes have been created from the AT base. As to that first tasty tan and brown bike, where are the front turn signals?
The front turn signals are the two narrow white stripes on the dark brown ground. They are the turn signals which are on the side of BMW 3-Series cars, heated and bend a bit to fit the curv of the AT side fairing.

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #4235
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
Been searching everywhere here for motors. Seems like any AT thats gets totaled here either gets repaired or parted out quickly.
Just completed a 5000 mile trip on mine. Never let me down.

Building crate Saturday for shipping back to SF......

Old 09-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #4236
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
So I'm posting this from Honda Trailbike Forums. Thought I'd get some input from here.

I replaced my front disc (OEM), with a custom wave disc on my RD03 a couple months back. After replacing the disc and the pads, I started getting squealing from the front end, typical of a set of pads that needed to be replaced (even though I just replaced them.) After a week of thinking that maybe since I'm pretty much at the maximum material condition (new pads + new disc need to wear on each other a bit before running smoothly), I went down and took off the front wheel. What I found was that my freaking disc had eaten away at the caliper. There is a good 1.5mm shaved off. See pictures:

That whole slightly lighter gray area above brake pads is the wear area. As you can see, the disc has taken off a significant amount. It should be noted that the disc itself is hardly damaged. Probably since it is much newer and is much harder than the caliper material.

Not a great picture, but just to be thorough...

What I was noticing, as well, was that when I'm coasting to a stop, or using the back brake only, I hear no squealing whatsoever. However, when I start to apply the front brakes, I get the noise. This makes me think that when brakes are not being applied, the disc is running through the caliper with no contact, since it has eaten away at the caliper already and there is no more material to grind against. However, my caliper must be misaligned or something, since, when I apply the brakes, the disc comes in contact with the the caliper.

Then, I went back to my old disc and had a big WTF moment. My old disc is not planar... not flat. It looks like the actual friction surface (where brake pads contact) sits a few mm offset from the mounting hole surface. This has the effect of moving the brake pad surface a few mm away from the caliper (where my disc has been eaten away).

Here is the OEM disc. Looks flat and normal from this angle.... but...

There is a clearly a height difference between the inner diameter and the outer diameter. The height is relatively constant around the whole perimeter.

So my question is, is the OEM disc meant to be that way? I can't imagine my caliper has warped it into that shape... but it looks so uniformly offset... I have had one guy tell me that these are meant to be this way, and another guy swear that RD03 front discs should be flat and it looks like mine has dished from overheating... Which one is it?
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #4237
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 605
Checking standard disk thickness in your RD03 shop manual will provide the answer.

As far as disk to caliper clearance goes: given your wheelbearings are OK, your wheel might not be in correct position due to wrong assemly or wrong distance-bushing.

I support checking issues like this in the kithcen.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #4238
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

does the caliper float freely on its bracket?

Cheers, Andy
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #4239
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

@Andy: that was my first thought too. But if you look closer, it's his caliper mount bracket that is in contact with the disk.

In addition, the problem could be the result of a damaged/bent (e.g. from a crash) caliper mount braket too.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #4240
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
Checking standard disk thickness in your RD03 shop manual will provide the answer.

As far as disk to caliper clearance goes: given your wheelbearings are OK, your wheel might not be in correct position due to wrong assemly or wrong distance-bushing.

I support checking issues like this in the kithcen.
Well the kitchen was the closest flat surface I could find.

The caliper floats freely on its pins. The pistons are not seized. I am in the process of replacing my front wheel bearing.

I've played with the idea that my wheel is assembled incorrectly, but I've gone by the shop manual and I've used the same bushings as were being used with the old disc, and am confident I've mounted them on the correct side.

As of right now, I'm just trying to find out if the OEM RD03 discs are suppose to be flat or not. The wheel bearings and steering head bearings are in the process of being replaced.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #4241
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
...but I've gone by the shop manual...
...if the OEM RD03 discs are suppose to be flat or not...
If the standard thickness listed in your shop manual is matching the thickness of the mounting surface (no pad contact / inner part of your disk) then you have your answer = "supposed to be flat".
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #4242
Lear60man
Sleeping

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Aprilia Caponord Raid/Benelli Tre Amazona inspired
Correct me if im wrong but your buddies front tire is on backward.
Im referring to the tan AT in post 4234
Lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #4243
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear60man
Correct me if im wrong but your buddies front tire is on backward.
Im referring to the tan AT in post 4234
Not sure why, but I've heard of guys mounting their front Distanzia's backwards.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #4244
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

I don't know these tyres, I never had them. I'll ask him / check the tyre next time

Cheers, Andy
Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #4245
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432
Well, not necesarily...I have Anakees on my Alp and they go that way, according to the rotation arrow on the tire....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote