Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #4531
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
Next time will be most likely Morocco. More rocks, less sand, but when sand, higher dunes. Will you come to Timpos March Moon Rally? Next Sahara trip / Morocco trip is postponed a bit due to Hardheader needing to find a solution for further riding (repairing the RD03, getting something else...). And it looks like I can go riding in the USA next summer or autumn without paying my flight (only the shipping for the bike). If this will come true I'll use that opportunity. Maybe you're still in NY then?
I am more counting on Morocco trip. In march I am still in NY. I come home for Christmas and summer. But i plan to end NY in winter 2010-11
Than my Sahara trip comes to schedule for sure.

Was sand riding with AT very hard? Tires? Pressure? Kilos?
Stupid question but what kind of feeling comparing to normal offroad?
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #4532
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 226
I thought the nice green/yellow Ats were made in around 1995 or so only?

I also love this colour and might pick one up if I see one up on the auctions in Japan.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #4533
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750
Of course I like my urban camo green, but as for my other fav it would have to be the following 1996.
Somehow i can agree with you :) I dont know why Can you gues?
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #4534
Dirtdigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
I thought the nice green/yellow Ats were made in around 1995 or so only?

I also love this colour and might pick one up if I see one up on the auctions in Japan.
If you mean the color of my AT its a year 1998.
Here is a link to colors and codes of ATs
Dirtdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #4535
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskow
I am more counting on Morocco trip. In march I am still in NY. I come home for Christmas and summer. But i plan to end NY in winter 2010-11
Than my Sahara trip comes to schedule for sure.

Was sand riding with AT very hard? Tires? Pressure? Kilos?
Stupid question but what kind of feeling comparing to normal offroad?
travel plans: sounds good! Would you also be interested in a trip to the north cape?

Sand riding on the AT was the most difficult type of riding I ever did (the trick is not getting stuck, falling was not so much of a problem). The AT is way to heavy for the deep and loose stuff. Tires were Michelin Desert, pressure was 2.0 bar for the rocky pists and down to 0.3 bar for the dunes. We had a small compressor with us for changing the pressure quickly. In the dunes we rode without luggage, so the weight for my RD07a was around 230kg. On the pists with sandy passages we had all our stuff with us, so maybe 20 or 30 extra kilos (I carried a lot of spares and water). For the feeling, did you ever ride in deep snow? It is similar but not as slippery as snow. Drifting / sliding is slower in sand, feels a bit like skiing. You can not actually ride, you are more or less floating. Picking up speed is a real hassle, 10% tracktion, 90% throwing sand in all directions, if you open the throttle too much you'll dig in your rear wheel.

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #4536
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750
Both are great bikes but for the long run the Honda wins the reliability factor. So, if I was leaving tomorrow for Tierra Del Fuego I would probably lean towards the Honda....and that was hard to say. With my son learning how to ride now maybe it's possible to take both.

Aaahah, I did some back reading and found this. Is that Dave's beemer? I think I was in the shop the day it left. Mighty fine shot of your @ against our back country there GSPD750.
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #4537
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughshod
Aaahah, I did some back reading and found this. Is that Dave's beemer? I think I was in the shop the day it left. Mighty fine shot of your @ against our back country there GSPD750.
Yeah, that was my old GSPD. Sold it...bought a boat. blah, blah
I don't miss it all that much. I found it weird riding the GSPD after being on the AT as the PD is sooo low to the ground. Honda wins when it comes to owning 1 bike.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #4538
abat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
Sand riding on the AT was the most difficult type of riding I ever did (the trick is not getting stuck, falling was not so much of a problem). The AT is way to heavy for the deep and loose stuff. Tires were Michelin Desert, pressure was 2.0 bar for the rocky pists and down to 0.3 bar for the dunes. We had a small compressor with us for changing the pressure quickly. In the dunes we rode without luggage, so the weight for my RD07a was around 230kg. On the pists with sandy passages we had all our stuff with us, so maybe 20 or 30 extra kilos (I carried a lot of spares and water). For the feeling, did you ever ride in deep snow? It is similar but not as slippery as snow. Drifting / sliding is slower in sand, feels a bit like skiing. You can not actually ride, you are more or less floating. Picking up speed is a real hassle, 10% tracktion, 90% throwing sand in all directions, if you open the throttle too much you'll dig in your rear wheel.

Cheers, Andy
Yo Andy!
Hope you had fun, it surely looks like you did.
We all waiting for the report

About the sand riding, it is definitely one of the hardest types of riding.but fun!
Not duned but still....

abat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #4539
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
Nice workout Abat!
Q: Are you guys allowed to ride in the dunes in Israel or are there any environmental restrictions (saving lizards, desert turtoise etc. like in many parts of California)
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #4540
abat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
Nice workout Abat!
Q: Are you guys allowed to ride in the dunes in Israel or are there any environmental restrictions (saving lizards, desert turtoise etc. like in many parts of California)
Thanks!

I'm sure that there are some environmental restrictions but i'm not sure where to find them
The "Israel Nature And Parks Authority" is responsible to enforce illegal off-road riding.i can tell you that they are not exelling.There are many official trails on sand though.
The dunes in Israel are pretty popular with the motocross and ATV riders.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #4541
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Just want to report back after changing my R/R to the new Mosfet style off a CB600RR. Well it worked good that much I knew.

Lately I had to install a new battery, charged it up, rode for a few times over the past few weeks. Much of it was slow forestry roads, headlight always on, etc.

So today, to find out how well the Twin had been keeping that battery charged, I put the Optimate 4 on it. It got to full charge in just a few minutes.

That means my Twin is keeping the battery charged really, really well. I'm very happy and highly recommend this R/R swap.

Since the battery really was the issue, I feel my old R/R unit is likely fine but no way I'm going back. I'll keep it as a spare of course

Now since I got everything else so well sorted, I'm thinking about a real nice seat. Anyone know if there's anything available other than used, for an old RD03?

Mind, my Alaska Sheepskin cover makes the stock seat much better, I've seen some seats on this thread that look very nice.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #4542
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
I've seen Corbin 's on AT or Touratech makes one ( single with rack), not cheap.
I will go custom on mine ,... got to keep the butt happy and the hemorroids silent!!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #4543
abat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis

Mind, my Alaska Sheepskin cover makes the stock seat much better, I've seen some seats on this thread that look very nice.
Hi Jim.

Take a look at my RD07 seat.
I just added few centimeter of sponge to it's height-worked like magic.with the OEM seat i couldn't seat for more than 60/70 Km without giving my ass a rest.
Now, 150 Km And more and the only complaints i got is from my shoulders.
Mybe i need to stuff my shoulders too...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #4544
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by abat
Yo Andy!
Hope you had fun, it surely looks like you did.
We all waiting for the report

About the sand riding, it is definitely one of the hardest types of riding.but fun!
Not duned but still....
Hi Abat,

great pics! That's the joy of playing in the sand. Maybe I should put Israel on my travel list

Ridereport will come, just give me some time please. In the meantime here is another appetizer for you:

Playing on the shores of the Chott El Jerid, the largest salt lake in North Africa:

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #4545
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Ok, trying to put together an onboard tool kit for the RD03.

I'd love to know what others have done. There is of course that little compartment on the left side. I don't trust the lock that much so a kit would have to be bolted in or something. Maybe I could replace the lock.

First I thought I'd hear what others have done. I can put together a bunch of tools in a small roll. I'd like to have at least some tools just in case.