ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #4981
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!
 
lukasteam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Naperville,IL
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
Wow ... talk about a small world .....

Luka - we need to see some pics of this beast of yours .....

G.
My Beast is all in pieces at the moment getting stripped for powder coating as soon as I will put it back together I will post the pics. of my beauty. Working in non heated garage here these days it's freakin' freeeeezing : fingers go numb, usualy very flexible wiring harness turns into the steel rod and is almost imposible to bend, the same is with the cooling hoses, my wife thinks I lost my mind... but you guy's know all about it. I don't blame you moving somewhere warmer and nicer.Hopefully I can make it to NAATS this year and meet you all !!!
Cheers!!!
Luke
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #4982
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a
 
A-Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by honz
oh, by they way, this dumb-ass just took a deposit on the silly priced AT.
thanks for looking,
Honz
Honz might consider calling himself lucky, instead of beating his drums this loud. People with some insider knowledge, can source an AT like that for about half that price any day and all year around here.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #4983
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer
 
CarbonCat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: now St.Louis, MO, USA
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax
"So ...... did Honda make a shaft drive AT or are these people (at the BMW shop where the bike is for sale) just dumb asses ??????? "


I think so ..., no such thing as a shaft on the AT ( OEM anyway)



I think motorcycles are your lifestyle.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...nda_xlv750.htm
__________________
BMW R 1200 GS HP2
BMW G650X Rally


Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #4984
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a
 
A-Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
The shaft drive was only made for one year and is highly collectible.
The above statement is not true with respect to the one year only production.
No doubt the XLV750 is a great bike. But I don't see why anybody would call or catalog it as Africa Twin.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #4985
Squily
Squily
 
Squily's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Esperance WA
Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
The above statement is not true with respect to the one year only production.
No doubt the XLV750 is a great bike. But I don't see why anybody would call or catalog it as Africa Twin.
+1

And apart from the XLV/XRV denomination and v-twin configuration, that's sort of where it ends. e.g. air-cooled vs water-cooled; rear drum breaks vs. disc brakes; fairing vs. open; etc. But that's probably where the @ started and maybe (if it wasn't for the weight), we could have had a shaft-drive @ if it wasn't developed for racing 1st.
__________________

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #4986
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!
 
alainmax's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, Weird
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
Honz might consider calling himself lucky, instead of beating his drums this loud. People with some insider knowledge, can source an AT like that for about half that price any day and all year around here.
or may be , all our ATs just doubled in value in 2010 , we all gotta like that

Honz, congratulations, looks like a very nice bike and in great condition, new owner will be happy with it

YOUR new bike looks awsome too


__________________
04 GS 1150
93 Africa twin RD07
alainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #4987
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy
 
crazydrummerdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by honz
oh, by they way, this dumb-ass just took a deposit on the silly priced AT.
thanks for looking,
Honz
__________________

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #4988
Buzzez
Wind Powered
 
Buzzez's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis, Missouri USA Planet Earth
Oddometer: 10,469
From Wikipedia...

The Honda XRV750, also known as the Africa Twin, is a motorcycle manufactured by Honda. The motorcycle was based on the NXR-750 which won the Paris Dakar rally 4 times in the late eighties.
The Africa Twin XRV was available in 650cc (42kW) and 750cc (742cc) configurations. It is no longer manufactured. It is considered by many to be the most robust motorcycle that Honda has ever manufactured.
Related models are the Honda XRV650 Africa Twin which was a lighter, higher specification version made in 1988. The Honda XLV750R was a high specification shaft driven version made to compete in the Paris-Dakar Rally.
__________________



~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #4989
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer
 
Mario Shi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Oddometer: 515
Here's a picture of both of them together:

__________________
Mario Shi
1985 CH150D
1994 R100 GS PD
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #4990
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a
 
A-Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
From Wikipedia...

The Honda XRV750, also known as the Africa Twin, is a motorcycle manufactured by Honda. The motorcycle was based on the NXR-750 which won the Paris Dakar rally 4 times in the late eighties.
The Africa Twin XRV was available in 650cc (42kW) and 750cc (742cc) configurations. It is no longer manufactured. It is considered by many to be the most robust motorcycle that Honda has ever manufactured.
Related models are the Honda XRV650 Africa Twin which was a lighter, higher specification version made in 1988. The Honda XLV750R was a high specification shaft driven version made to compete in the Paris-Dakar Rally.
This just proves: don't belive evrything you read on Wikipedia. While not entirely wrong, this article was written by someone who obviously did not know much about the subject.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #4991
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,800
Mario,

Does the 750R belong to you?

I bet that turns some heads even in SB.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #4992
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,497
Aren't these a dime a dozen?



I noticed the Hippo Hands on Oscar's. Is he really that cold or just getting old?

Jim (back among the living)
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #4993
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,800
OH No!

Don't tell me Rowley's got one too??

I just can't keep up with you guys on a fireman's salary.

.......Touch of the flu, Jim? Glad your better.

I've got Hippohands on two of my bikes for the California "winter". I AM getting old.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #4994
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,497
It's not mine but a customer's.

Yep, stomach flu. That was a lot of fun.

BTW, my son is working towards becoming a firefighter in SB.
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #4995
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"
 
G-Funk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind
The above statement is not true with respect to the one year only production.
No doubt the XLV750 is a great bike. But I don't see why anybody would call or catalog it as Africa Twin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily
+1

And apart from the XLV/XRV denomination and v-twin configuration, that's sort of where it ends. e.g. air-cooled vs water-cooled; rear drum breaks vs. disc brakes; fairing vs. open; etc. But that's probably where the @ started and maybe (if it wasn't for the weight), we could have had a shaft-drive @ if it wasn't developed for racing 1st.
+2

I've never ridden an XLV, but I'm sure it's a great bike. I would not however call it an Africa Twin.

So basically the BMW shop lumped the XLV and the XRV together ....... or they're just dumb asses .....

Luka - as time gets closer let us know if you can make it. It would be great if can. I'll put you on the fence for the time being.

Jim - glad you're feeling better ....

Ladder -

Ricors have been ordered .....

G.
__________________
03 Caponord

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014