User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #5266
*thomas*
*thomas*

Oddometer: 170
Hi Lads;

Quick question, do XL600V (transalp) carbs fit plug and play (off course changing the jets and needles) on an RD03?

Cheers
*thomas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #5267
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Many Thanks, Lukasteam.

I'm glad you were able to identify the part from my wordy description.

Thomas,

My Haynes manual doesn't list the RD03 but does state that both the XL600 and XL650 use the same 34mm carbs.

You're close but someone with both bikes should answer this.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #5268
*thomas*
*thomas*

Oddometer: 170
Hi,

Had a look in the haynes also, and a quick peek on the xrv.org forum, but did still don't know if they are 'interchagable'.

I compared some ID numbers from the carbs:

All PD06/10 (TA) carbs start with VDF, and so do the RD03 carbs, but, the 2 following numbers/symbols are different between the 2 models (but, i also noticed differences between the same model, but for a different country, so I think these last 2 numbers only refer to the carb setup). Am I correct presuming this?

RD04 carbs are VDG carbs BTW (so are NVT carbs).

Cheers
*thomas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5269
tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
at fix after rough roads

ladder106
cold start
alainmax

the model is 1999 rd04a. vapor is off a gasgas enduro bike think trailtech but might be wrong.

a few pages ago i posted about my @ stalling on really rough roads. after cleaning and lubing choke cable we got no luck. after cleaning the carbs no luck. so we were stumped cause it was definately a fuel problem but wot?

We had then found that the routing of the carb overflow ( or breather ) pipes were not right. It was goin up and not down and was also pinched shut. I have a very nice and humble machanic/friend.

he explained it as this. when the bike shakes villaintly the excess fuel can not escape and thus floods, therefore a sometimes rich and sometimes lean running bike.

So now she runs very very nicely indeed.
thanx for all the comments and help.

ohh and the WP front end is the shite!!!! Best mod eva

PS phat chicks need lovin too
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #5270
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
AFAIK the RD03 carbs have a bigger diameter to the cylinder side, but I'm not 100% sure. It's not plug and play, but with a bit of fiddling they should be interchangeable.

cheers, Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *thomas*
Hi,

Had a look in the haynes also, and a quick peek on the xrv.org forum, but did still don't know if they are 'interchagable'.

I compared some ID numbers from the carbs:

All PD06/10 (TA) carbs start with VDF, and so do the RD03 carbs, but, the 2 following numbers/symbols are different between the 2 models (but, i also noticed differences between the same model, but for a different country, so I think these last 2 numbers only refer to the carb setup). Am I correct presuming this?

RD04 carbs are VDG carbs BTW (so are NVT carbs).

Cheers
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #5271
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tour
ladder106
cold start
alainmax

the model is 1999 rd04a. vapor is off a gasgas enduro bike think trailtech but might be wrong.

a few pages ago i posted about my @ stalling on really rough roads. after cleaning and lubing choke cable we got no luck. after cleaning the carbs no luck. so we were stumped cause it was definately a fuel problem but wot?

We had then found that the routing of the carb overflow ( or breather ) pipes were not right. It was goin up and not down and was also pinched shut. I have a very nice and humble machanic/friend.

he explained it as this. when the bike shakes villaintly the excess fuel can not escape and thus floods, therefore a sometimes rich and sometimes lean running bike.

So now she runs very very nicely indeed.
thanx for all the comments and help.

ohh and the WP front end is the shite!!!! Best mod eva

PS phat chicks need lovin too

,,,I should have thought about that ,...I cleaned my breather not too long ago !!

Glad it was an easy fix
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #5272
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
The RD03s had a factory fix that was extra carb breathing hoses that routed up and back. It was supposed to fix the carbs going dry when the bike sat. I noticed that mine has had this fix. I haven't had any problem with it. I would assume all later models had the same setup.

Your carb breather tubes maybe should be going up and back and down. However, if one of them was pinched that might have been your only problem.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #5273
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tour
ladder106
cold start
alainmax

So you're saying when the bike shakes gas should be allowed to just escape? That's not right.

If you notice your thighs getting warm, you should pull over and check for flames...

Or, redo the breathing tubes right and make sure they're not pinched.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #5274
naproksen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
@ owner from Turkey

Hi everybody,
My name is Barış, I'm living in Mugla. I have an 2003 RD07A , 36000 miles, black.
I have a blog about my travels around here, if you want to check, the link is : http://lntoftheotherworld.blogspot.com/
If you have any questions about here or something else I try to answer them. (I'm not saying I can answer all your questions, I try to answer them )
My mail adress : ebaltan@gmail.com
naproksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #5275
tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
jim d

Luckily no flames just yet but my bike is hot, very sexy.
the way i had explained it is the way that i understand it. my wording might not be correct.all i know is that she is running perfectly again.
was a breather pipe pinched and routed wrong, now its right

cheers
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #5276
longuito
EcuaItalian on an RD07A

Oddometer: 69
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by naproksen
Hi everybody,
My name is Barış, I'm living in Mugla. I have an 2003 RD07A , 36000 miles, black.
I have a blog about my travels around here, if you want to check, the link is : http://lntoftheotherworld.blogspot.com/
If you have any questions about here or something else I try to answer them. (I'm not saying I can answer all your questions, I try to answer them )
My mail adress : ebaltan@gmail.com

Great Page! Greetings from Ecuador...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #5277
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Body parts interchange

Know what I just discovered?...............

The tank side panels from an RD04 will fit onto an RD03 front headlight fairing.

.......at least I think they will.

The Transalp I bought last month came with a mixture of bodywork. RD03 front fairing and headlight with 04 tank and side panels. I didn't think they would match but holding the parts up against each other shows the curves and mounting holes to be the same.

If I'm missing something here, please let me know. All the body panels need a repaint and the large tank needs some dent removal. I have to decide whether to use the RD03 body style or the standard Transalp.

I love the dual headlights and will move in this direction unless someone tells me I'm nuts (well.....about the body panels fitting together, at least).
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #5278
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106

If I'm missing something here, please let me know.
Beer .........

You're welcome.

My job here is done ................

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #5279
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Cool2 NAATS 2010 Update - 02.11.2010 - Important.

This is important.

Really ..... it is.

Topic = camping for Day 1 - which is the important part.

Then I'll "briefly" talk about Day 2.

With what I have tallied up for the "in" crowd and then adding the definite maybes I get 11 for sure, and possibly up to 17.

The campground for Day 1 states;
Per site - min 1 person, max 6 people : max vehicles 2 (which means 3 to 4 bikes )

Do I factor 3 people per site, or 4? I'm thinking that we don't want to be right on top of each other, because we will be on Day 2.

At 3 peeps per site it comes up to (basically) 6 sites @ 8 bucks per site = 48.00 bucks. Divided by 11 = 4.37 bucks per person. Divided by 17 = 2.85 per person. That's an F'ing bank breaker .......... lemme tell ya what.

At 4 peeps per site: Divided by 11 = 2.90 per person. Divided by 17 = 1.90 per person.

Looking at the numbers ..... I think I'm just going to do it up for 3 peeps per site for some space.

Unless some one chimes in with something like - I snore really, really, really bad ..... I want my own site so I don't disturb anyone else.

I am going to reserve and pay for spots by Monday of next week.

So unless anyone posts up or pm's me with info, I am going to reserve 6 spots, which would handle 18 people.

Camping for Day 2:

I'll cut to the chase. The "large" site that can be reserved is in fact booked. At least that's how I'm taking it. I talked to a couple of people at the Ochoco National Forest Dept. about it, our route, and everything else, and they said, "It's probably true that the Pavilion is reserved ........ "

There is another site, right there, that is first come first serve and has 5 spots. If we get that, cool, but we'll have to divy up the peeps between the 5 spots.

If that's not available there's another site 7 miles away that has vault toilets, but no drinking water, that we definitely could score. It would still be 3 to 4 peeps per site, but we'd only have to port water 7 miles to it .... meaning that we can water up at the Ochoco Forest Camp even if we don't stay there.

I see that as a " no " issue what so ever. We will have to port beverages from Prineville, which is where we'll be tanking up.

So there you all have it and there it is .......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #5280
Dirtdigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Do any of you guys have a better quality picture of this bike. And especially about the numberplate and all the small logos/text. I would need to get an idea of what else there is in the numberplate, than actual number and Pioneer logo?

And now you all are wondering why i need that information well,,, i got a little project going on in here, i will post pics when im done with it Hopefully im done in spring time?

Dirtdigger is offline   Reply With Quote