User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #5881
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
the sience of checking the oil...

i've been experimenting with that a lot... after the complete oil change with filter it's like you said, maximum half the dipstick, bike standing upright on its wheels. In the german manual they have a funny description of the procedure: let the bike run at idle for about 2 minutes, then immediately check the oil level with the bike standing upright on its wheels. I never heard about that way of checking the oil anywhere else... I would expect checking the oil when it's cool and everything dripped down, but if you do it like that there is a chance of overfilling when Honda really expects hot oil. So I found a compromise which seems to work well: When at a filling station, fill the tank with gas, go paying and after returning check the oil . So it's hot and had time to drip down. It should be safe then to tip up to the upper level.

Just my 2 cents, if there's someone with more experience in engine construction, please share your knowledge.

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #5882
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 616
Yes Andy, ditto
I've always let the bike rest for 3-5 min ( after riding) until i check with the bike upright. that's how e bum does it too as we went through that ...

Lad: I feel like taking a week off and ride down to CAL and observe you taking your bikes apart
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #5883
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
let the bike run at idle for about 2 minutes, then immediately check the oil level with the bike standing upright on its wheels
Andy,

Is this description for your TA or the Africa Twin. If it's for the Africa Twin, I think the difference is the oil cooler. Measuring level after the bike has run makes certain that the oil cooler is full. If the oil in the cooler is allowed to drain down into the crankcase, you'll get a "too-full" reading. I think Honda wants oil in the cooler......then measure the crankcase level. Conversely, if you set oil level cold, it will be too low in the crankcase once a portion gets pumped up to fill the cooler and oil lines.

My DR750 uses almost identical instructions and it has a large oil cooler on the left downtube.

Obviously not necessary for the Transalp

Quote:
I feel like taking a week off and ride down to CAL and observe you taking your bikes apart
Better hurry......the cams are in and timed. The engine is almost ready to shove back into the frame. Gotta get going on this because it's the bike my son, Chris, will be riding to NAATS.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #5884
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
And for $11,000 us, I could join in the fun.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...-TWIN-96297048

Quick! Someone show this to Honda of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
a monumental event today: This has to be the highest density of ATs (and one wanna be AT) in the USA at the moment:

IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #5885
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Are you checking with the bike in the vertical position or still on the side stand? It makes a difference.
I had the bike vertical on a flat surface and I used the Honda Factory Manual for the RD03 for specs.

The oil was warm but not hot. I'm going to check it again when it gets hot but I cant see it making that much difference.

I think it needs 2.6 litres. Maybe they're trying to avoid overfill or it's a suggested amount, to get you going, then you top it up?

I prefer a bit more oil than barely on the bottom of the dipstick.

One more thing, are you supposed to screw the dipstick all the way in and back out before checking? I'm checking by just inserting the dipstick without screwing it in. Maybe I just doing it wrong.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #5886
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,470
Its been for sale for a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #5887
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I'm checking by just inserting the dipstick without screwing it in. Maybe I just doing it wrong.
Nope...you're doing it correctly

Quote:
Its been for sale for a year!
What a pretty bike!

With 15,000 on it and tagged in the US, It's probably a fair price. Way too high for me right now, dammit. After barelyl squeaking through California DMV with my DR750 (with N.Mex. plates and import/transit bill from the military) I don't know that I'd want to take the chance of buying something that could not be registered.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #5888
coyotetrips
Traveller

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

I asked Honda-USA for some paperwork in the process of getting my AT titled, and their reply was: "Africa what?" They have never even heard of a AT.

2006-20?? Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD07A (80,000+ km)
1999-2006 Honda NX650 Dominator RD02 (110,000 km)
coyotetrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #5889
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
They have never even heard of a AT.
Yep, those guys have pretty much been asleep since 1995 or so. Their latest marketing brain bubble was to bring the Deauville into the US..........for over $10,000.

Now tell me that they haven't paid off all the tooling on this bike in europe over the past 10 years or so.

Next they'll wonder why it won't sell and yank it off the floor next year.

Considering that the new version of the VR800 is pretty dull I'm giving Yamaha the best chance to actually wake up to what's happening here with adventure bikes and bring either one or both Tenere's into the US.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #5890
coyotetrips
Traveller

Oddometer: 135
Pissed

Don't they watch what the competitors do? If they did, they should notice that BMW is doing a hell of a business here as well as in Europe with the 1200GS and now with the 800GS too.
In the US the dual sport bike slowly become more popular, while the dual sports in Europe become less and less suitable for off road riding. Just look at the new Triumph Tiger or the laughable Honda Varadero. They are basically road only by now.

2006-20?? Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD07A (80,000+ km)
1999-2006 Honda NX650 Dominator RD02 (110,000 km)
coyotetrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #5891
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
In the german manual they have a funny description of the procedure: let the bike run at idle for about 2 minutes, then immediately check the oil level with the bike standing upright on its wheels.
That would be a normal procedure on a drysump oil system.

The drain lag of oil draining out of the cooler would explain the prescribed oil check method of Honda, but in my view the whole thing still fails to make much sense because the amount of oil in the cooler is not that much.

Quote:
I thought someone collected a downpayment on that bike and it was as good as "sold" already a few month back.
Right Honz?
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #5892
sambor1965
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Still didn't get my two calendars.
It looks I have to send money back. I have send it 2 times to US. Sorry mate. I hope you understand it is not my fault.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #5893
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
Real funny thing that... both original Honda Owner Manuals that where delivered by the factory with the bikes, RD07a and PD06, say exactly the same: let the engine idle some minutes, wait some minutes (this was my mistake, had this wong in my mind) and then check the level without screwing the dipstick into the engine... so the check when at the filling station was more than right

Cheers, Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Andy,

Is this description for your TA or the Africa Twin. If it's for the Africa Twin, I think the difference is the oil cooler. Measuring level after the bike has run makes certain that the oil cooler is full. If the oil in the cooler is allowed to drain down into the crankcase, you'll get a "too-full" reading. I think Honda wants oil in the cooler......then measure the crankcase level. Conversely, if you set oil level cold, it will be too low in the crankcase once a portion gets pumped up to fill the cooler and oil lines.

My DR750 uses almost identical instructions and it has a large oil cooler on the left downtube.

Obviously not necessary for the Transalp

Better hurry......the cams are in and timed. The engine is almost ready to shove back into the frame. Gotta get going on this because it's the bike my son, Chris, will be riding to NAATS.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #5894
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,470
I agree with you 100%. I think we will get the XTZ here first...but this is another story...you know, off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Yep, those guys have pretty much been asleep since 1995 or so. Their latest marketing brain bubble was to bring the Deauville into the US..........for over $10,000.

Now tell me that they haven't paid off all the tooling on this bike in europe over the past 10 years or so.

Next they'll wonder why it won't sell and yank it off the floor next year.

Considering that the new version of the VR800 is pretty dull I'm giving Yamaha the best chance to actually wake up to what's happening here with adventure bikes and bring either one or both Tenere's into the US.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #5895
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I never got my calendars either
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambor1965
It looks I have to send money back. I have send it 2 times to US. Sorry mate. I hope you understand it is not my fault.