Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #736
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Dr AT, are you reffering to these folk doing "serious dirt" on an A/T? I find it hard to imagine how a tank-bag on an A/T could get in the way of a rider getting forward - there's a big fat fuel tank that will get in your way long before the tank bag that's sitting on it will.

DrAT is right, I have the touratech bag and when standing up it is in the way of you being in the right position, you need to have your head directly over the top of the screen or even firther forwrd, I use the tankbag on tar or dirt road trips but if its a seriouis dirt trip i leave it off and the difference to the control of the bike is amazing
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #737
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Dr AT, are you reffering to these folk doing "serious dirt" on an A/T? I find it hard to imagine how a tank-bag on an A/T could get in the way of a rider getting forward - there's a big fat fuel tank that will get in your way long before the tank bag that's sitting on it will.
you'll notice I said GETTING UP ON THE PEGS and forward - on an RD04 the tank has nice cutouts for your legs so you really can get as far forward as the screen will allow you, at least without a tank bag. It makes a huge difference - particulary if you want to steer with the back wheel or get up anything even resembling a hill. I've recently opted for a shorter screen because I found the one I had kept hitting me in the chest. The tank isn't a problem.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #738
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,569
Dr AT is right, I ride mine in some pretty nasty offroad stuff. Even with the tank bag it is very easy to get foreward into the aggressive position.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #739
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Thumb Africa Twin Info & downloads

Just found this while surfing around. It's in Czech but is easily decipherable enough.

Includes model stats & downloads of RD03, 04 & 07 microfische, Haynes Service & Repair manual & what I think are workshop handbooks among others.

Enjoy.

http://at.straznica.cz/index.htm

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #740
atgreg
Africatwinarama

woohoo, my AT RD04 idles again !!!, my carbs have been worn for a long time, 270,000km and 16 years of dust will do that I guess. it's been impossible to get it to run smoothly for a few years. I managed to score a brand new complete set of carbs for the bargain price of 150 euro's, just fitted them and she purs with a smooth 1000rpm idle, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have a smooth bike, cant wait for the weekend and a 3 day ride to really check her out.New carbs, new chain, new sprockets, new tyres, she's raring to go for 2007
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #741
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,852
Now you can put new jets, needles and float valves in your old ones and have a spare set ready to go.

I keep wondering how long the diaphragms on the slides will last. Probably should get busy finding spares. Had a friend who's restoring a CB350 tell me that slides with good diaphragms are getting hard to find.....for a CB350 no less.....there were millions of those things in the 70s.

Anyways....nice going on the carbs. Maybe a spare set is good insurance.....and now the price will start going up, right.

Thanks also for all the tankbag tips. Looks like the Wolfman one fits the AT tank best and has straps and not magnets (that tend not to work well off-road).

Ray Stedronsky
Davis, CA
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #742
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
woohoo, my AT RD04 idles again !!!, my carbs have been worn for a long time, 270,000km and 16 years of dust will do that I guess. it's been impossible to get it to run smoothly for a few years. I managed to score a brand new complete set of carbs for the bargain price of 150 euro's, just fitted them and she purs with a smooth 1000rpm idle, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have a smooth bike, cant wait for the weekend and a 3 day ride to really check her out.New carbs, new chain, new sprockets, new tyres, she's raring to go for 2007
hey greg, can I borrow your new carbs for the simpson? LOL. I've replaced the diaphragms, needle, seats, choke plungers , springs amd cables, I'm running out of ideas to find that magical 20 KPL I dream of....
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #743
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Dr AT is right, I ride mine in some pretty nasty offroad stuff. Even with the tank bag it is very easy to get foreward into the aggressive position.

You've got some kickass bikes man! Sweet THumper and an AT!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 AM   #744
atgreg
Africatwinarama

just fitted some new carbs to my AT, after 270,000km of Oz dust the original carbs were stuffed, it wouldn't idle and had lost power. I decided to spend the big $$ and put new ones on, I tried the UK and Singapore but the complete carbs are not available anymore. I sent a mail to a friend of mine in germany to check the wreckers for some good low Km carbs and I struck a very lucky deal, my friend got some from a mate of his at honda germany

My AT is going like a Train, the new carbs have made a huge difference, it idles beautifully at 1100rpm and doesn't blubber at all, it pulls from 2000rpm and the midrange and top end are back and I got 14.5 - 17km/l over 4 fills which is about as good she's ever been, the muffler is a bit black so perhaps it's a little rich and maybe one size down in the mains might make it a bit better but Im not sure i'll fiddle. I must say it's a relief after faffing around with the jetting a heap in the last few months chasing the lost power I was getting a bit cheased off, maybe there was something wrong with the diaphrams even though on inspection there were no tears or anything.

Seems like i might have got the last new complete RD04 carbs in the world, I caught up with Wolfie on the weekend and he told me his mate at Honda Germany said there was none in the Honda europe warehouse and they are not available anymore but he teaches the service courses for dealer mechanics and he had the carbs i got in his collection for teaching, brand new in the box with cables, chokes etc. I certainly owe Wolfie biggtime, as they say it's not what you know but who you know, I got the carbs for 150 euro !! list price was 550 euro.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #745
moroboschi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Sorry for my BAD english
I have seen all images of this thread, it is simply fantastic
I want insert some photos of my Africa Twin

Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #746
ZORBA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I really like the mods you did...
Can you make a write up of them?
I am thinking of doing the same on my bike as well.
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #747
VBreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hello all, I just joined the ADV forum and thought you AT enthusiasts might like to see what can be done with this great bike with enough time... and money!
Built by a bike shop in Milano, makes me drool...
Ride safely!

VBreeze screwed with this post 02-16-2007 at 08:31 AM
VBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #748
bikermice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Bluhduh

[quote=atgreg]just fitted some new carbs to my AT, after 270,000km of Oz dust the original carbs were stuffed, it wouldn't idle and had lost power. I decided to spend the big $$ and put new ones on, I tried the UK and Singapore but the complete carbs are not available anymore. I sent a mail to a friend of mine in germany to check the wreckers for some good low Km carbs and I struck a very lucky deal, my friend got some from a mate of his at honda germany
quote]

Hey greg my RD07A is suffering from the same irritating idling problem too. It persist even though I changed stuff like main jets, diaphragm, needles and so forth....practically given up on trying to guess what is wrong. Any idea as to where can I get my hands on a set of carb rebuild kit for RD07A. Shitty feeling to be riding with hiccups...
bikermice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #749
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboschi
Sorry for my BAD english
I have seen all images of this thread, it is simply fantastic
I want insert some photos of my Africa Twin

Love the front end, where did you get the parts. Is it an easy install?

Id love to do that on my twin
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 AM   #750
rob_erto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
My new (to me, at least) RD07A. It's a 2000 model, on 14.000 km now. Loving it so much.

rob_erto is offline   Reply With Quote