Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #7606
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by simba.web
Hi Dear Stormforce8
Where did you found out the seat cover ?
Thks
Cedric
Hi Cedric - which seatcover do you mean?

And how is your Marathon coming along?
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #7607
fabienlegall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Cédric, your marathon is just getting GREAT
fabienlegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #7608
*thomas*
*thomas*

Oddometer: 170
pictures of the marathon rebuild?
*thomas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #7609
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,186
Varadero question

I'm thinking of getting an eagle-screen for the Varadero. The standard one is pretty crap/low. They offer many variations in terms of size and width. My biggest concern is ending up with wind-buffeting if I go too big. Anybody tried one of their screens or have some suggestions please? I'm 6' 4"

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #7610
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Furthermore to my brake rotor enquiry. I think I may have found the OEM rotors at a fairly decent price over at Davidsilver.spares...quite a bit cheaper than I originally thought they would be.
Something tells me I would regret in the long run purchasing those ebay rotors.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #7611
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,830
I put one of the ebay rotors on the back of my bike.

I don't use the rear brake all that hard so thought it would be worth a try.

No problems after 4000 miles or so. No warpage or strange wear patterns or anything.

Fronts are more critical and may be a different story.

You might try http://www.jtbraking.com/

They have engineering drawings of all the discs. You can find the specs for the RD07 then go down the list of bikes available in the US and Canada and see if any other model that's more available will match.....or you can just buy from them.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #7612
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368

Im yet to name her.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #7613
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Great info. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
I put one of the ebay rotors on the back of my bike.

I don't use the rear brake all that hard so thought it would be worth a try.

No problems after 4000 miles or so. No warpage or strange wear patterns or anything.

Fronts are more critical and may be a different story.

You might try http://www.jtbraking.com/

They have engineering drawings of all the discs. You can find the specs for the RD07 then go down the list of bikes available in the US and Canada and see if any other model that's more available will match.....or you can just buy from them.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #7614
Ze Viking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Saw once a pair of dics "wave" for about 300euros, but can't it anymore...
Ze Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #7615
simba.web
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by *thomas*
pictures of the marathon rebuild?
Both marathons are not finished but... I'm still looking for a rear tank to finish the second one

Some pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

With her sister

The sister

DT 125R 1989
XT 600 2KF 1987
XRV 650 Africa Twin Marathon 1988
XRV 650 Africa Twin Marathon 1988
XTZ 750 SuperT 1990
Solex 3800 1966
simba.web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #7616
longuito
EcuaItalian on an RD07A

Oddometer: 69
Choke cable and Carb overflow / Breather tube routing

Hi Guys,

I recently cleaned the carbs on my RD07A and it was all running like a dream with the new aluminum choke screws and sprigs (Thanks Alain!), and then I decided to connect the choke cables and test the movement of the lever. I tried several different cable routings and none seemed quite right... Most importantly, the bike started running like Sh___, until I disconnected the choke cable and re-inserted the plungers and the problem went away.

Great! Now I know it's the cable routing, but now how do I get it right? I tried searching the thread with no luck. Anyone happen to have a photo or maybe could take one of their bike?

On a similar note, since it's not very often that the tank and carbs come off, I decided to do a thorough cleaning of all the engine area and took all the tubes and hoses out of the lower stay (near the centerstand). I managed to put all of the hoses back where they belong, except for the hose the comes from the carb overfow: there seems to be one that goes up (where does it go to or come from??) and one that leads down by the other hoses... Help!

I have looked in the factory service manual, as well as in the Haynes and there is no clear picture of the choke cable routing or the breather tube routing. Would anyone be able to lend a hand? Thanks,
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #7617
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,830
I'm having similar problems with the heavier springs.

The bike ran fine for about 400 miles but now the cable to the right side choke seems to be hanging up and keeping the choke open.

I can reach in through the right side air vent behind the radiator and wiggle this cable and the idle will even out. The bike will run fine for a while but then it comes back.

Dunno if replacing the choke cable set is the best idea??

I'm also toying with the idea of blanking off the choke to the right side carb and just running the cable to the left one. With my climate, I rarely use the choke unless its the dead of winter. I'm thinking that only one carb with choke should still start the bike. I've tried a number of different cable routings....all with no real sucess. The problem, I think, lies with the fact that the right side cable makes a 90 deg bend as it comes out of the splitter and then another 90 deg bend at the carb.

Getting frustrated with this.

On your carb hose.....Dunno specifics on the RD07 but normally CV type carbs will have one vent hose run open to the atmosphere. This hose neutralizes the pressure either on top of or under the diaphragm (depending on how the carbs lift their slides). You want to run this hose to atmosphere NOT into the air box since pressures change here alot and also NOT out into an open air stream. If the air blows across this hose (like blowing over the end of a soda straw) the pressure drops and your slides do funny things. Somewhere under the seat and along the frame tube seems to work best. Again, this is general since I've never had an RD07 apart.

If you ride in dusty conditions or if your a chronic worrier like me, put a small foam end filter on the line. K&N makes a neat line filter for vent lines also.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #7618
longuito
EcuaItalian on an RD07A

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
I'm having similar problems with the heavier springs.

The bike ran fine for about 400 miles but now the cable to the right side choke seems to be hanging up and keeping the choke open.

I can reach in through the right side air vent behind the radiator and wiggle this cable and the idle will even out. The bike will run fine for a while but then it comes back.

Dunno if replacing the choke cable set is the best idea??

I'm also toying with the idea of blanking off the choke to the right side carb and just running the cable to the left one. With my climate, I rarely use the choke unless its the dead of winter. I'm thinking that only one carb with choke should still start the bike. I've tried a number of different cable routings....all with no real sucess. The problem, I think, lies with the fact that the right side cable makes a 90 deg bend as it comes out of the splitter and then another 90 deg bend at the carb.

Getting frustrated with this.

On your carb hose.....Dunno specifics on the RD07 but normally CV type carbs will have one vent hose run open to the atmosphere. This hose neutralizes the pressure either on top of or under the diaphragm (depending on how the carbs lift their slides). You want to run this hose to atmosphere NOT into the air box since pressures change here alot and also NOT out into an open air stream. If the air blows across this hose (like blowing over the end of a soda straw) the pressure drops and your slides do funny things. Somewhere under the seat and along the frame tube seems to work best. Again, this is general since I've never had an RD07 apart.

If you ride in dusty conditions or if your a chronic worrier like me, put a small foam end filter on the line. K&N makes a neat line filter for vent lines also.
Thanks Ladder for the insightful comments! Just as a followup to a previous suggestion of yours, regarding the "sneezing" airbox, it was in fact a lean mixture, and I solved it by putting in the 120-size jets that came with the Dyno set. That and 1.75 turns out on the air screw seemed to have solved that and the (minor) backfire coming from the exhaust, (I had never really noticed it - thought it was a result of using the more open flowing Arrow can).

I'll try routing the breather tube tomorrow as suggested by you and post results. Cheers!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #7619
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by longuito
Thanks Ladder for the insightful comments! Just as a followup to a previous suggestion of yours, regarding the "sneezing" airbox, it was in fact a lean mixture, and I solved it by putting in the 120-size jets that came with the Dyno set. That and 1.75 turns out on the air screw seemed to have solved that and the (minor) backfire coming from the exhaust, (I had never really noticed it - thought it was a result of using the more open flowing Arrow can).

I'll try routing the breather tube tomorrow as suggested by you and post results. Cheers!
Talking of backfiring.

Is it normal to have a slight popping when decenting a hill in first or second gear ? ( engine braking)
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 AM   #7620
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by longuito
On a similar note, since it's not very often that the tank and carbs come off, I decided to do a thorough cleaning of all the engine area and took all the tubes and hoses out of the lower stay (near the centerstand). I managed to put all of the hoses back where they belong, except for the hose the comes from the carb overfow: there seems to be one that goes up (where does it go to or come from??) and one that leads down by the other hoses... Help!

I have looked in the factory service manual, as well as in the Haynes and there is no clear picture of the choke cable routing or the breather tube routing. Would anyone be able to lend a hand? Thanks,
Does this pic help?