Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #9016
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinie View Post
weekend's 400 km ride unde the WORSTE conditions i had ever riden offroad

Usually the worst conditions make for the most memorable rides. Looks like fun!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #9017
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Haas View Post
Hi ya'll,

I'm busy lookin for new tires.
My Alp was running on Michelin Sirac real good tire.

Right now my Twin flows on Anakee's (don't like the look of them).

I'm riding 80% tarmac, 20% offroad. I know sirac is fine for that but:
I like the offroad way better so I don't mind losing some tarmac quality for more offroad quality.

peopz tald me I should try the conti TKC-80 and I do like that suggestion but:
How good is it really on tarmac? How fast will it wear?

regards,
Depends how extreme you ride off-road.

I did a majority of the Karroo in South Africa with a TKC upfront and the Anakee at the back. You should get about 10 000miles out of a TKC front :)
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #9018
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
For full knobblies, I'm using a TKC front Micheline T-63 rear.

Very good pavement performance ...just remember they are a knobblie.

Wear is generally 3500 to 4000 MILES rear 5500 MILES front. I change them when they have about 2-3 mm of central knob left since they are useless off-road after that.

Wear is alway on the opposite scale of traction. You just have to decide what you want. A tire that wears like iron is fairly useless when you're lying on your back with the bike on top of you.

For me, riding a knobblie on the pavement is MUCH better then trying to make any street tire (or so-called "dual sport" tire) work off-road. I will argue that there is absolutely no street biased tire made that will perform well in all conditions off road. Hard packed smooth dry dirt, yes....anything else will either make you slower or feel like an incompetent.

The nice photos that Twinie provided illustrate my point. For the guys with knobblies...this will be remembered as a "fun" ride. For the guys with street type tires it will be either difficult, trying or a death-march.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #9019
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
For full knobblies, I'm using a TKC front Micheline T-63 rear.
I used the same combination on my XT600 and liked it a lot too. My friend with identical bike and Metzeler Enduro 1 mounted could'nt keep up with me on tarmac. Sure, I was probably riding much more on the limit than he was, but still this combo held up great against the Metzeler Enduro I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
For me, riding a knobblie on the pavement is MUCH better then trying to make any street tire (or so-called "dual sport" tire) work off-road.
Could not agree more. In addition I think if you ride a bike in the dirt a lot, you should anyways consider riding it easy on the road. Of course that is because off-road you might pick up all kind of damages that might affect street (in traffic) performance.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #9020
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 154
More on radiator hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
I'm assuming you would have kinks...and possible overheating issues if you went bulk. They do make silicone kits for bikes mainly for racing which can be exspensive. Just go OEM.

I'm looking at the same problem in the US, where OEM hoses for my RD07 are not available. Cost to ship from the UK or Europe will be as much as the hoses, I think.

I bought some 19mm silicone hose on ebay, and there are 3 hoses that you will need to find a way to bend at sharp angles that may cause kinks. They are the two on top of the motor, going forward to the thermostat, and the long one that comes from below left up to the left hand corner of the right hand radiator.

For now, one of the solutions is shown at www.gates-unicoil.com/. I've looked at these things, and I believe they will work, and they cost about $6.50US each at NAPA. You will need one at each sharp bend.

They are stainless, and I don't think they look too ugly, especially since once in place they will be hidden by the fairings. I'm still looking.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #9021
Lioshyi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Question Technical question

Could someone tell me if transmission countershaft is the same for all XRV750?
I just found on cmsnl for 1990-95 XRVs it has same part number 23220MV1000, but what about other? I'm asking because I've replaced my RD04 countershaft with used RD07 countershaft and seems got big problem when engine warms up. Seems it's countershaft but I need to check this. I've replaced countershaft and bearings for transmission shafts this winter and now have such f*ck up...
Lioshyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #9022
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennism View Post
I'm looking at the same problem in the US, where OEM hoses for my RD07 are not available. Cost to ship from the UK or Europe will be as much as the hoses, I think.

I bought some 19mm silicone hose on ebay, and there are 3 hoses that you will need to find a way to bend at sharp angles that may cause kinks. They are the two on top of the motor, going forward to the thermostat, and the long one that comes from below left up to the left hand corner of the right hand radiator.

For now, one of the solutions is shown at www.gates-unicoil.com/. I've looked at these things, and I believe they will work, and they cost about $6.50US each at NAPA. You will need one at each sharp bend.

They are stainless, and I don't think they look too ugly, especially since once in place they will be hidden by the fairings. I'm still looking.
Take a look at THIS thread over on the XRV forum

1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #9023
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioshyi View Post
Could someone tell me if transmission countershaft is the same for all XRV750?
I just found on cmsnl for 1990-95 XRVs it has same part number 23220MV1000, but what about other? I'm asking because I've replaced my RD04 countershaft with used RD07 countershaft and seems got big problem when engine warms up. Seems it's countershaft but I need to check this. I've replaced countershaft and bearings for transmission shafts this winter and now have such f*ck up...
Part numbers between RD04/RD07 and RD07A are different.
  • 23220-MV1-000 is the countershaft fitted to all RD04 and RD07 only
  • 23220-MAY-000 is the countershaft fitted to the RD07A only

Neither are showing as a shared component with any other models.

I have no idea what the difference is between them as I've never had both next to each other to compare.
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #9024
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,947
Speedo drive

Can anyone tell me if the speedo drive of a Transalp 89-90 will fit right to an AT? RDO7
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #9025
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 154
Radiator hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8 View Post
Take a look at THIS thread over on the XRV forum
Hi Storm, Thanks. Yes, I saw that, had forgotten about it until I saw it again.

That's an RD04. On the 07 the top frame tube comes along right where that hose comes off the rear head, and it takes a sharpish turn towards the front, inside the frame tube. GSPD is right about the possibility of kinking a little.

I have fitted all the hoses from the water pump up to the thermostat and both radiators, just have that one off the rear head to do, and the one coming across the front to the bottom of the right radiator.

I bought blue silicone too, but I was able to buy 8 feet in a chunk for about $4.00 a foot plus freight, IIRC. There will be about a foot left over.

I should take some pics too, eh?

The oem hoses were in decent condition, but I thought it worth while to get them changed while the bike is down that far.

Thanks again for all your help. Dennis.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #9026
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Hoses

Stormforce, thanks for the push to keep looking for parts. Dennism, thanks for keeping this thread alive, has anyone had experience with using the Gates product, looks like a good option for slighter bends but I don't think that there is enough room to make the tight bends without getting kinks? Stormforce I was looking at making some or all of the bends using fittings similar to the picture that you posted but I was worried about looks (hose clamps etc) To bad we cant go to one place to find everything, I now have been buying bits, pieces and parts at, at least four different suppliers because I cant get everything I need at one shop, what a pain and shipping isn't getting any cheaper too.
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #9027
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
I'm sure shipping some rad hoses from the UK to anywhere in world would be in a small packet. It's not like they can get damaged even if in a large padded envelope.

Check out David Silver Spares. It's cheaper than you think.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/Postage-Guide/

Or Wemoto. If it's under 2 kg...it goes regular post. Cheap.

http://www.wemoto.com/terms/
Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #9028
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the speedo drive of a Transalp 89-90 will fit right to an AT? RDO7

I believe the plastic/nylon drive GEAR is the same.

The metal housing is different because the TA uses a 15mm front axle....smaller than the AT which is 17 , I think.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #9029
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I still have my RD03 for sale, and some people asked me if it would fit an RD04,
thomas,

This statement didn't translate well into English. The "thing" (noun) that you want to fit an RD04 is not present in the sentence.....unless I'm really misunderstanding this, you are asking if "something" is the same between the RD03 and RD04 but I don't know what the "something" is.

Clarification is required (at least for me)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #9030
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Engine????

I think that the noun will be the engine?????

The other thing is that if I'm going to be ordering parts like hose, I'm also going to order everything else that they have. I have quite a lot of things that I'm going to do, bottom up beautification.
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote