Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #9136
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Jim,

First posts in a while.

How's thing in your part of the world.

I'd think that at this point you'd want good knobblies on the AT. It sure looks like you guys have your share of mud to ride through.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #9137
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I'm thinking better tire/tube mounting technique is better. That or replace the damn thing before those nasty white cords start showing in the middle.

I'm really all ears. I've never had a MC blow-out before so I guess you could say I just took the crash course.

I got the wheel off the bike today and couldn't see any puncture wounds or obvious damage. I'm running Tourances with tubes on stock spoked rims. The pressure may have been a little below spec but still was handling fine until the blow-out. I reckon once I can get the tire off I'll find damage at the valve stem. I can't imagine where else it could be.

Any advice is welcome.

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #9138
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
DominicD,

How did you like the Yamaha?

Great atavar from someone from Barcelona....should we just call you "Manuel"?

Fell in love with it, but I like most bikes I ride. It was the perfect bike for Morocco, even in sand and clay it was easy to handle.

It's no AT while on-road but off-road it's far more nimble. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had more $$$ (€€€)

Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #9139
621andy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
1st outing in Turkey

Finally had a chance to take my AT out for a play...first time up on the pegs

621andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #9140
CbrPaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Wow, looks like you had fun ! Lovely bike and absolutely amazing scenery, what a stunning place to be able to ride in Turkey has been near the top of my list for ages, hopefully the next time I'm off I'll be able to get there.
CbrPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #9141
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
I'm really all ears. I've never had a MC blow-out before

Let us know what you find out when you get the front tire off.

If there was no tire damage, you really didn't have a "blow - out" . Rather a sudden and rapid flat.

I'd also suspect a tear around the valve stem.

As a tip, I never install the top nut on the valve stem. If you run lower air pressure without rim locks, the tire will creep around on the rim. This is particularly true in the rear but it can happen in the front also.

As the tire creeps around the rim, you will be able to see it because the valve stem angle will change. It starts out at 90 deg to the rim (if it's installed correctly). If the tire creeps the angle will become more acute. This tells you that (a) the tire is moving and (b) it's time to break the bead and shift everything back into place.

IF

The valve stem nut is NOT installed. If the nut IS tightened down, you will not realize the tire is creeping and the tube will eventually tear away from the stem. This causes a very rapid deflation.

Also, I normally install a fresh tube with each tire change. Many guys are using 20 year old tubes on their bikes......they're asking for trouble.

If you ride in the wet alot, a bit of silicone seal around the gap between the valve stem and the rim will keep most of the water out.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #9142
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Andy,

Nice photos, thanks.

You somehow manage to make the AT look like a 250.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #9143
thump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
hey all, hoping that some one might have some insight to a issue with my AT. bike runs awesome at all times cold but once warmed up well and riding steady throttle at 4500 to 5500rpm the bike sputters and won't pull cleanly.running it hard through the range it seems to have no hesitation. i had the carbs off and dropped the bowls and checked jets; pretty clean. thinking a new set of plugs first and then perhaps some new slide diaphrams and springs if no improvement. Any ideas? thanks -bob
thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #9144
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

My guess:

A small tear in one diaphragm. When the slide is down the tear closes and sudden increases in vacuum are strong enough to lift the slide.

But at steady throttle, the leak opens a bit and overcomes the vacuum....slide drops and bike begins to run lean and sputter.

Did you examine the slide diaphragms completely and carefully pull them open to look for tears? Did you put the carb tops on correctly. On some, there is a small "dent" in the top that has to be aligned with a bleed vent in the carb body. It is possible to turn the tops so that bit doesn't line up.

What do I get if I win?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #9145
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Thanks ladder you gave me a lot to think about. I'll post back when I get the tire off the rim and have a look.

I guess it wasn't a blow-out, though there was only about 10 seconds from the first time I noticed a "floaty" feeling in the front end until I was running fully flat.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #9146
thump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
thanks for the response ladder. i'm leaning toward the diaphrams as well. they were so fragile looking i didn't really pull them apart for a thorough visual,was actually just hoping to get them back in without ruining them completely.23 years later i guess the rubber is not so good. I'll let you know if you won!
thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #9147
Lioshyi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
tech question.

Hi, Again I have question. If I want replace RD04 1990 engine with RD07 1994 engine what should I care about?
Carbs (really necessary) ? etc?
Thanks
Lioshyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #9148
raoulserban
vrrummm

Oddometer: 99
hello guy's! i am Raoul from Romania and i felt in love with the AT last year when a friend of mine invited me to the 2'nd Romanian Gathering of AT owners (kept at Nadrag-City, wich is kind of a village in the mountains)
http://youtu.be/WY4mthvvhyE
and this is my byke, bought a couple of month after this meeting (an 04 from 1990):

you can see that the wife gets along with the mistress and offcourse that i am in no picture! tipically me!
ps: thank's for the incredible amount of information regarding the AT

raoulserban screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 06:02 AM
raoulserban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #9149
Action Man
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb

Welcome!
Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #9150
Fliegenfischer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioshyi View Post

Hi, Again I have question. If I want replace RD04 1990 engine with RD07 1994 engine what should I care about?
Carbs (really necessary) ? etc?
Thanks
Nothing, it΄s the same engine.
Fliegenfischer is offline   Reply With Quote