Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #9571
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
I also considered the Dyna Charge monitor beforre deciding of the digital voltmeter I have. My opinion is that the R/R does not go so fast, just like that, that you won't notice the digital voltmeter showing over or under voltage. I've now gone through 2 OEM R/Rs and the digital voltmenter always delivered.

I mounted mine atop the tripmeter so it's always inside my vision field, a quick glance is all it takes to check the voltage, no longer than it takes to check the cruising speed or the acummulated mileage. Normally, I read around 14,4V with the new FH008 I just installed.

In fact, it was the digital voltage monitor that alerted me for the fact that I needed to connect the FH008's output directly to the battery and not to the loom as per the OEM R/R... I was reading 13,5-13,8V consistently with the FH008 connected to the loom, whereas with the original R/R, I used to read 14,2 under the same conditions. With the FH008 now straight to the battery, I see around 14,4...

And for 0,99€ the price just seemed right
I've yet to join the FH Mosfet club with their new generation connectors as my original R/R has been fine. At the moment I carry a spare R/R although it is the old style SH type. Yes, the FH is way more effecient (slightly higher voltages as you have pointed out too) and runs much cooler with one less connector now that you go direct to the battery.
Yeah...I think it's time I just sell my new spare SH and go with the Mosfet FH and do the upgrade.

It's explained pretty good at the following link.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
Old 05-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #9572
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
This is a question for everyone that has done the FH008 R/R switch. Has anyone had a problem with their new R/R in a way as to cause permanent/emergency damage to their bikes. What I'm getting at is, with a newer R/R and a 30 amp fuse in there as well, isn't this setup designed to prevent catastrophic headaches?

Here is what I got for readings on the bike before I had to fly back to the states, this is with the bike in original condition as I got it. Sorry I don't have any info at a higher RPM, but does this seem to be about average?

Battery 12.36
Ignition/lights on 11.58
Bike running lights on 13.6/7 (idle)

GSPD, Thank you for your input I would have to say that having something like the Dyna to warn you like it does is a real advantage, something changing color or coming on in the dash would really alert you of a problem. Love the visual of riding across the Thai countryside.

Africa_Twin, Also thank you for your input I have always been a dash watcher, growing up and having really crappy used cars forces you to. I don't want to say continually but it is more than usual checking the dash of these cars that are really on their last legs. I also like the fact that you get more than a single function out of one device, clock, ambient temp and voltage displays.

Byke_Baikonur, you too thanks for your input as well. Where is your device from, I would like to look at it online a little further.

Thanks again
Keith
Hello Keith. Those voltages look right to me. The original R/R (pre-upgrade) still used a 30 amp fuse (@ the starter relay) for obvious safety reasons should something short out...but now you have bypassed it and gone direct to the battery with the new upgraded Mosfet FH type which also includes a 30 amp fuse in the kit. Jim over at Eastern Beaver explains it on his 'notes for all R/R upgrades'. With the new Mosfet and it's waterproof connectors I would think it is less likely that damage could be incurred to wiring and the circuit in general.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R_R_Connectors/body_r_r_connectors.html
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #9573
Daandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thanks for all the great offers!
Yesterday we managed to get 3 sets of sprockets (206 USD), JT for the Africa Twin shipped to Arizona. (Moto Chains was the company name)

As I want to swap the chain in Phoenix (Az) or near there (need someone with tools to link the new chain), does anyone recommend a bikeshop there which will probably have the chain (525-124) on stock?
Other option: anyone living around there who can help me out? Then I just order the chain and take it with me! Always the best to do it yourself and meet some people.

other question: how difficult would it be to get tyres in Mexico?

Daandus screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 02:02 PM
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #9574
mazinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
RD03 Engine color codes

Does anybody know which is the color code for the RD03 engine (the one in greenish-brown-bronze color), or how to get it?

Thank you
MAZ

p.s. this is my last step and obstacle for the total restoration of the XRV650
mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #9575
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger View Post
Does anybody know which is the color code for the RD03 engine (the one in greenish-brown-bronze color), or how to get it?

Thank you
MAZ

p.s. this is my last step and obstacle for the total restoration of the XRV650
You mean the colour code for the engine cases?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #9576
mazinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
You mean the colour code for the engine cases?
Yes, the engine cases and the exhaust antiburning plates
MAZ
mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #9577
Osmund75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi
I just put in the FH008 this winter. A friend of mine did it too. We both got 14.5 v with the engine running, and it works just fine.

The original RR was still ok, we did it just to upgrade because som many recommended it.
The best thing though, was that we found that the big connector, connecting the RR to the system, was corroded. One of the wires on my friends bike was almost melted off because of bad connection.
Wires were cut and fixed with proper connectors to avoid melting or even fire..

So even if you dont change the RR, check the wiring and connectors.
It might need some cleaning ... ;-)

Best
Osmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
This is a question for everyone that has done the FH008 R/R switch. Has anyone had a problem with their new R/R in a way as to cause permanent/emergency damage to their bikes. What I'm getting at is, with a newer R/R and a 30 amp fuse in there as well, isn't this setup designed to prevent catastrophic headaches?

Here is what I got for readings on the bike before I had to fly back to the states, this is with the bike in original condition as I got it. Sorry I don't have any info at a higher RPM, but does this seem to be about average?

Battery 12.36
Ignition/lights on 11.58
Bike running lights on 13.6/7 (idle)

GSPD, Thank you for your input I would have to say that having something like the Dyna to warn you like it does is a real advantage, something changing color or coming on in the dash would really alert you of a problem. Love the visual of riding across the Thai countryside.

Africa_Twin, Also thank you for your input I have always been a dash watcher, growing up and having really crappy used cars forces you to. I don't want to say continually but it is more than usual checking the dash of these cars that are really on their last legs. I also like the fact that you get more than a single function out of one device, clock, ambient temp and voltage displays.

Byke_Baikonur, you too thanks for your input as well. Where is your device from, I would like to look at it online a little further.

Thanks again
Keith
Osmund75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #9578
RiderMakis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmund75 View Post
Hi
I just put in the FH008 this winter.

Best
Osmund
Hi Osmund.

Can you tell me where did you buy it from?

Cheers
Makis
Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #9579
rohirim
rohirim

Oddometer: 7
So even if you dont change the RR, check the wiring and connectors.
It might need some cleaning ... ;-)

Could you upload any photos from the work that you did?
Thank's.
rohirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #9580
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderMakis View Post
Hi Osmund.

Can you tell me where did you buy it from?

Cheers
Makis
From what I've heard you may be able to find one from a late yamaha R1 & R6 or honda cbr600rr '04-'05 to name a couple.
The FH012 is readily available new on ebay and has the same footprint as the FH008...difference being is the FH012 puts out 50 amps (a bit of overkill) as opposed to 35 amps on the FH008. Both will work.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #9581
ray3656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
From what I've heard you may be able to find one from a late yamaha R1 & R6 or honda cbr600rr '04-'05 to name a couple.
The FH012 is readily available new on ebay and has the same footprint as the FH008...difference being is the FH012 puts out 50 amps (a bit of overkill) as opposed to 35 amps on the FH008. Both will work.
:-)

the 12 will only put out what is put in, and there is no way the Africa Twin gen can put put 50 amps.. ( that would require a 14.5v x 50 Amp generator i.e. 725 watt the Africa Twin gen is 300+, so the 12 is well in spec and low stressed and will run cooler

I fitted a 10 which will cope with 100 amps!! it runs real cool , has the same foot print as the 8.... 12.. and the original R?R but is very very tall..

folk go for the 12 , because as you say its used in a lot of other bikes and you can pick them up on ebay ( I got the 10 there , thought it was a 12.. :-)

as stated it a good mod..

but its still a shunt regulator.. so it shunts ( short circuits ) what it does not need, but as the MOS FET has a very low resistance there is less heat produced in the R/R.. however the generator gets some additional heat ..

search forums for R1 regulator mod.. you will find that it,s not only Africa Twins that get this treatment :-)
ray3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #9582
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3656 View Post
:-)

I fitted a 10 which will cope with 100 amps!! it runs real cool , has the same foot print as the 8.... 12.. and the original R?R but is very very tall..

How did your FH0010 fit on your AT with the extra length?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #9583
ray3656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
How did your FH0010 fit on your AT with the extra length?
I had to relocate it to the side :-) its huge but works. I will not fit in the original location , but the 8 12 s will, its well worth getting the original connectors too..

I have an RD03 with an 04 Engine, so retained the coolant bottle where the oil cooler is on the 04/07s it has the RD04 rear & plastics too, so the FH010 is where the 04/07 coolant bottles would be.. may get the 12 and return it to its original location as it gets quite dirty :-)

ray3656 screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 09:38 AM
ray3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #9584
kordix
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Some pictures from my traveling around Greece

kordix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9585
thecli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Greece!

nice pictures! pou einai? oi spilies? peloponisos...?

"Every day, do one thing that scares you"
thecli is offline   Reply With Quote