User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #9901
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Hi All

being a hard core Honda fan and owner of a CRF450x, CRF250x, i'm looking for a good Honda dual sport bike. the XRV750 has always interested me but with the difficulty of obtaining one in the US, not to mention getting it titled, i'm wondering what other Honda bikes are good dualsports.

any ideas? or do you have an AT for sale?

cheers- jimbo

james t kirk screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 03:54 PM
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #9902
ujeni
just doesn't get it

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
Hi All

being a hard core Honda fan and owner of a CRF450x, CRF250x, i'm looking for a good Honda dual sport bike. the XRV750 has always interested me but with the difficulty of obtaining one in the US, not to mention getting it titled, i'm wondering what other Honda bikes are good dualsports.

any indeas? or do you have an AT for sale?

cheers- jimbo
Quick answer....Africa Twins CAN be registered in the US (I have done it twice now), but it is not easy. What is far harder is finding one for sale (nope, not selling mine). I think they are averaging around 1 per year here in the US.

My suggestion for you if you want something similar is to find a good Transalp. There are always a few for sale around here. I have a Transalp and I must say that even though they are over 20 years old now they are still excellent bikes (decent power, comfortable, reliable, 21 inch front wheel, economical on fuel and cheap).

Good luck. Owning a rare or super-rare Honda dual sport in the US is rewarding on many levels.
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #9903
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
hey thanks for the info!

how about this Transalp i found on flea-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...mZ320737470497

looking for a dual sport that can travel long distances comfortably yet handle mild(maybe medium at times) off road. the XR-650 is more of a dirt bike.

cheers- jimbo
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #9904
ujeni
just doesn't get it

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
hey thanks for the info!

how about this Transalp i found on flea-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...mZ320737470497

looking for a dual sport that can travel long distances comfortably yet handle mild(maybe medium at times) off road. the XR-650 is more of a dirt bike.

cheers- jimbo
Best of both worlds perhaps? : 1989 Honda Transalp Africa Twin

Pretty nice looking bike!
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #9905
mechahayai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Looking for any AT owners in TX. I may be moving there in the Fall and am bringing my AT with me. Wondering if it's easier to plate in TX or CO.
mechahayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #9906
Rookie_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
So I got my new stator today. But since I don't have a shop manual, could someone please write down a short walk-through for changing the stator?

Do I need a new gasket somewere or is it enough to use gasket in a tube? I have never worked on bikes before but I don't think it will be hard to change it, just want to make sure I don't mess something up.

Thanks for all the help!
Rookie_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #9907
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 113
AT repair manual reference

Rookie Rider,

I too am new to the ins and outs of AT maintenance / repair, though not motorcycles in general. I have found both a copy of an owner's manual and various chapters of the shop manual (at least for the xrv650) at the following link. I but had to register to have access to the info. Not all of it is legible to me (scanned copies) but I am certainly glad to have a place to read what I can.

Hope something there can help, as you wait for a voice of experience to chime in!

http://www.xrv650story.eu/index.
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #9908
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 113
Part Numer Index

Would there be insight of where to find a guide / index to the (all) part's numbers of the XRV 650?

I am making a list to poll the National parts suppliers to see what is, and is not, readily available in advance of a "rainy season" project. I know if I walk in and say what year and model parts I am looking for they may not take the efforts to see the cross references to find the OEM codes.
In particular, should there not be a link to find this on my own - I am looking for #s for the clutch plates, springs, oil pump drive chain, shaft bushing (to top oil chain sprocket), and clutch cover gasket. Later I will be looking for rings, head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc... then bearing codes, etc, etc.

I'd rather have the un needed parts on hand than pull it down (and not be able to ride!) and have a long wait for something not planned for - particularly if it would be just a preventative replacement .

The final idea is to have a 'little black book" of the common wear part's #s to have while doing the long range jaunts. I tried the thread search function but it did not like any of my choices of search topic description... it said something about "suckey" though not sure if that meant me or it

Any of you salty @ Adventures have made something similar from your travels?
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9909
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
Register with xrv.uk.org.

Then go to the "technical" section. They have parts fiches and part numbers for the ATs there. www.cmsnl.com. is also a good source for pn's

Yes, you should replace the gasket under the left side cover when installing the new stator. You will also have to drain the oil first since this area is open to the crankcase on the other side. Also consider cleaning the case and mounting bolts very well and use a thread locking compound. You don't want the stator to get loose and start contacting the magnets. Be careful when routing the wires up to the the rectifier and make certain that the plug between the stator and rectifier is clean and in good condition.

In general silicone goop is NOT a good idea for general use. But if used very sparingly and in some hard to seal locations Suzukis 1216 silicone gasket is the best I've found, expensive but one tube lasts years.

Regular silicone sealant can be death to motorcycle engines since people tend to use 10 times more than they need and the little balls end up floating around in the oil clogging things up.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #9910
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 200
After the Off-Road...
Attached Images

Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #9911
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,925
Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
After the Off-Road...
Is the grass growing up out of the belly pan?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #9912
Rookie_Rider
Adventurer

I have changed the stator now, it was no problem at all. And I found the culprit. A small metal "thing", that looks like a needle from a needle bearing, but is now very rounded and unidentifiable. It had wedged between the stator coils or whatever they are called, and had caused some mayhem to some of the coils. Probably just shorting out the magnets, not the actual coil wiring. I have no idea where this thing came from but it is out now.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #9913
KYK
Dacian Wolf

Oddometer: 11
greetings from Dracula Land to all AT riders and congrats for this great forum !

I have gathered tremendous amount of information (although just got to page 291 :-) that definately convinced me to buy this amazing machine. On my way to purchase one next week a 1997 RD07 with a mileage of 89k km.
still have couple of months to get use to it this year as my only biking experience is limitted to hard enduro.
back now to case studies, couple of hunderds of pages still to go

cheers

cristian
KYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #9914
Rookie_Rider
Adventurer

Ok, so, I changed the stator, and just started it and checked the voltage, it's perfect now. I didn't hear any strange sound or anything, but I do have a very loud exhaust. So I took it out and drove around a bit and I can hear something strange from the left side of the bike. Is it possible that the new stator from Electrex is rubbing against the rotating metal thing? The sound gets louder when I rev the engine. At first I thought it might be the chain rubbing against something but it isn't.

Does the new stator have to be broken in or something? Now I have to pull everything apart again just to have a look at what the sound could emanate from. I just can't catch a break!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #9915
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
RR,

Since the stator was the last thing you touched, I'd start there.

Pull one spark plug from each cylinder and remove the center cap of the stator cover. Insert wrench and rotate engine by hand......listen.

If in doubt pull the stator off again and look for rubbing marks on the new coils. You don't want to destroy the new unit. It should NOT touch the magnets. It is possible that the magnets were damaged from the foreign body in there and are now out of round. This is just a guess.

Can you post photos? It would be good to see the foreign bit. If we can identify it you might save yourselft a breakdown somewhere by replacing whatever is shedding pieces into the engine.

HYK,

Welcome and thanks for reading the thread. Many riders skip this important step and get hurt when they ask the same questions that have been dealt with 10 times in the past and we tell them to "search".

Think of the AT as a 500 pound bull rather than a sleek nimble enduro bike. It will go some amazing places but getting off on a hillside or in deep mud or sand will test your strength.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote