User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #10741
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
ah desert dust,

mate mine has done few trips in africa on r1150gs, think he has been back now 2 or 3 years and he still find the dust from desert lodged in places he cleaned on the 1150gs. just gets into every nook and crappy, oh also gets all over the bike
Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #10742
nosedive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
First time I've seen Jesse panniers on an AT. They look good. Sounds like a nice trip too.
Thanks, another member I bought the bike from had an original set here in Thailand. He
Had copies made in Thailand and those are on my bike.
nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #10743
#philsmith
Desktop Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Sitting on a plank...

Guys,

Loving my RD04 other than the seat being less comfortable than a plank of wood on any long journey. Finding it hard to find replacement seat for RD04, any suggestions from your experience?

www.small-adventures.co.uk
#philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #10744
Dutchy506
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
http://www.topsellerie.co.uk?

don't know anybody with that seat but it looks ok and the price not to high...

in time I will get my seat done by this guy in holland, http://www.rayz.nl
pretty expensive but fully custom made to fit your needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #philsmith View Post
Guys,

Loving my RD04 other than the seat being less comfortable than a plank of wood on any long journey. Finding it hard to find replacement seat for RD04, any suggestions from your experience?
Dutchy506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #10745
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 115
Pre-filter / air filter

From my limited - non Sahara experience:

Foam and oiled foam filters LOVE to trap dust. Once in the foam and - worse - trapped in the oil - it is a beach to clean. Dry paper filters are a lot easier to maintain in this regard but can be further improved.
Pre-filter "socks" can be found (Outerwear / Quad works / etc.) that slip over most any filter (foam / cloth / paper) and serve as an easy slip off to clean - and allowing the primary filter to stay in place (a time or three) to avoid the crap from getting in the air boot when taking off that filter in a very dirty environment. Additionally many also have "hydrophobic" properties that help to keep water out (saved me once in a river dunking!) and further protects paper filters.
If not going for the real deal - an 'island engineering" version (that helps a bit, but not at all for water) can be made from finer mesh panty hose. The fish net variety serves best left on the ladies thighs!

Of course being the lead dog cuts down on the need to clean the filter as often
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #10746
teddy750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Center stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
wow. That center stand looks a lot different from mine. From memory, mine is a lot thicker and even has a bash plate between the front part of the legs and no tab to step on. My big issue with mine is that i loose more than an inch of ground clearance with it. Not such a terrible thing as it gets bashed instead of the delicate bash plates.
Does anyone have one of these? How slim does it fold under the bike? Easy to get the bike on and off it?
I might be interested in finding one of these if they're that much better.
i had this stand installed on my rd07 even before i first fire up the engine. It is very easy to use and you can lift the bike with alitle eford. The small handle helps alot and is located under the rear left footpeg. It is steady unless you rock the bike. Since it is a very old post you might allready had some feedback from other riders. I am too young in this forum but i have been through all of the 719 pages. Now i also read what is writen. The first time i just lost words from the pics i was looking
teddy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #10747
Gummitarzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycotton View Post
My new RD04 with some mods..

-Mika
Nice work buddy
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #10748
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

With all the USD fork mods,

How do people find the single dick conversion over the twin disk one?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #10749
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post

fine , still plenty powerfull enough for fanging on the tar however I rarely ride 2 up, i think that would strain it
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #10750
teddy750
Adventurer

hed lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy View Post
i changed the photo server on my original at mod thread, so lost all the photo links. So thought i would repost, along with a bunch of new mods.

Here are some of the modification i have done to my africa twin to set it up for touring here in asia. Some good ideas, or maybe i have way too much time on my hands ???? ....

the bike itself, a year 2000 at with about 96,000 kilometers on it.

replaced all the turn signal lights with yamaha xt ones. The stock honda ones look pretty dated, and break easily.also rewired the rear lights to stay on as running lights, the same as the front lights. Adds a lot of visibility.

added a second stock fan on the left side for bogging through mud in hot season here. It is set up with a manual switch. I did have to pull the aluminum radiator out and weld on mounting tabs so it is exactly the same mounting as the stock fan on the right side.

weld on a fat foot for stopping on loose dirt.

also weld on a hoop to make it easier to kick out with a muddy boot.

welded on a lever to help put the bike up on the center stand. Now it center stands with almost no effort. The little angle tab that is stock is just too difficult when the bike is loaded and you are tired. Also nearly impossible if you have a flat tire.

made a copy of a givi crash bar and powder coated it texture black. Now when it crashes , some flat black paint and it looks like new again...

larger aluminum rack for carrying a single bag. Designed by me.

bosch two tone car horns. Essential for asia..

wavy front brake rotors. Stock ones tend to warp so hope these will last longer. Much better stopping power as well.

a plate i had made to stop the lip of the front fender from catching on the bash plate if you hit a large pothole at speed.
Do not ask me how i know this........

bar risers, makes for a much more comfortable sitting position. Also the fan over ride switches can be seen.

trail tech trip meter, the stock trip meter is not really water proof, and pretty quick to die.

acerbis bark busters with bmw grips. I spent some time and was able to put the stock vibration dampeners back in the handle bars.

a low mount remus pipe that sits just below the boxes.

connecting pipe and heat shield was made by a local shop.

normally the touratech boxes are asymmetrical, with the right side box sticking out on the outside of the high pipe. I dropped the pipe below the boxes, and then had the touratech zaga frame cut and rewelded closer so now both boxes are even. So i use 35 liter boxes on both sides.

had to cut off the small little frames to keep your foot on the pegs as it was in the way of the new center stand lever. So just went ahead and powder coated both sides.

of course got rid of the wimpy stock fuel pump that always fails, and put in a carter fuel pump. Very quiet, and fits exactly into the stock mount.

welded some frames onto the stock pegs to make them bigger for my big feet.

bagster tank bra and bag. Now do not need to worry about scratching up the giant tank.

custom seat i had made at a local shop. 12 hours in the saddle??? No problem. Cost was about 30 us dollars.

put in a three light voltmeter. If your regulator fails and you are not aware of it, it will cook the entire electrical system on your bike. Do not ask how i know this. The meter is on the upper left above the stock panel lights. You can also see the garmin 450 mount. I like to have the gps low and in the center. If you have a major crash, that is the best place for it to survive.

am also getting tired of replacing regulators. So now have put in a mosfet heavy duty regulator. Fits right on the stock holes and the panel goes right over it.

the stock wiring setup is fundamentally flawed. They made the mistake of putting the main fuse in the same connector as the starter solenoid. So pull those two wires out, and put in a separate heavy duty 30 amp fuse holder there instead. That is the red one in the photo. Now your starter solenoid plug will last forever. Also hard wire everything in the charging circuit. I think the plugs that honda used were simply not heavy duty enough, as they routinely burn up.

in the photo above you can see i have changed the stock rear shock to to a yss shock. I also re-valved the front springs, has a lot firmer feel going into corners. Dropped the front forks in the triple clamp about 3/8 of an inch, really sharpens up the steering.

Ram mount for my camera, either for still pictures or for video.

got tired of screwing around with the wimpy stock plastic choke valve guides. So bought the aluminum replacement ones from rugged roads. No more cross threading...

put in hid lights. Turns night into day, and gives fantastic daylight visibility.

not really a bling kind of guy, but when my stock chain guard cracked, i had a local shop whip out a copy of the shiny bits chain guard. Easier then ordering a new one... :-)

a pretty standard mod, a taller lazer windshield.

wouldn't it be cool to have on board air to impress your buddies on your next ride? No problem, it fits right under the side cover and is hard wired in. Waterproof the box, and put in vent tube with a loop in it for high water crossings.

to use the air, i just thread the yellow hose onto the nipple that sticks out and away it goes. Works great, i can hardly wait to get a flat tire......
beautiful at. Hope you enjoy it. Do you have the hid light maker? .
Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #10751
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
fine , still plenty powerfull enough for fanging on the tar however I rarely ride 2 up, i think that would strain it
i have cb1000 now for 2 up main so africa twin be solo

What sick setup did you use and forks?

I might even think of fitting a over sized disk so to halp braking

Are they a vast improvement of standard forks?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #10752
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
In my experience single disc to double - there is no comparison
I changed from original pair to single 320mm on WP50 forks.

Very satisfied on terrain where I dont need so much brake power BUT with passenger and full gear traveling - its scary.
There is not enough brake power. Specially driving down hills.
Not even mention if I would have to brake in unexpected situation on highway....
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #10753
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

well i think just hang on for wp twin disk so. ktms should beign to blow up soon hahaha

is it possible to get a single disk wp forks and buy the lower cast section for the disk and press it into the other side to make a twin disk?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #10754
Dutchy506
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
i think its better to get 2 leftside or 2 rightside legs, depending on which side your brake is...
Dutchy506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #10755
teddy750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa_twin View Post
what about this one?

not my thing, though...
do you have any fotos of the pipe going from right side to left?