Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #11071
twinie
traveler

Oddometer: 162
Boano vs. Marathon

Hey there guys,

Its now available the final video from the "duel of the beasts", the Africa Twin Boano vs. Africa Twin Marathon, the most well prepared Africa Twins in Portugal.

You can see the whole report in our blog

www.emazimute.blogspot.com

Soon, the text will be translated to english!

Here is the video, and a few pics so you can check it out!

http://youtu.be/D_wyrkHSy1w

Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #11072
raoulserban
vrrummm

Oddometer: 98
just WHOAW! unfortunattely my AT gives me headakes:
i have storaged her for 6 months and now she will not go over 140kmh and she feels like a scooter, no kick and just a fraction of the power she had
i have done some maintanance work on her that consits in :
-changing the chain and sprockets (44 teeth to the rear)
-carburretor sync and fixing the pilot screws from 2.1/2 to 2.1/4(like the manual said) and of course 2 cleanings of the carburetor cause i have used sylicone to seal and that sylicone disolved and clogged one jet . membranes are ok.
- refitted the motad venom with a new link pipe
- checked the valves for adjustement(there was everything ok, no need to adjust)
- cleaned the k&n filter
- new oil and oil filter
- and some other stuff not related to the engine
what can she possible have! the simptoms are like this::
-she starts with the choke immediately, the revs go up relatively quick(2500rpm), i push the choke gentle back, then she goes at 1000rpm and she feels like the engine would stop, after 15min of stop and go the idle speed is around 1500rpm and it does not stay there, it wobbles between 1300 and 1500 or , after a longer period ..like 30min of stop and go , it wobbles between 1500 and 1700. (i did indeed played around with the idle screw a lot to obtain tham 1200rpm +_ 100 that the books sais)
- she has just half of the power she used to have
- she will not go pass over 140kmh and a few minutes ago she did noy go over 130kmh(i did had strong wind from the front)
- she has a strange noise from the left side when i ride it, something like tzac tzac tzac (dont know if it is the fuel pump or what, the valves where correct adjusted)
tyres are inflated, bearings are greased, susspension is refurbished, tank has got new fuel(unleeded 95), chain is tensioned correct, front sprocket is standard, fuel flows freely from tank to fuel filter(new about 3000km, has a few air bubbles in it), fuel pump has got new repair kit, the carbs are cleaned and syncd, the spark plugs are 4000km old(1 year) and look very ok after riding the bike
any word of advice?
thanks in advanced
raoulserban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #11073
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinie View Post
Hey there guys,

Its now available the final video from the "duel of the beasts", the Africa Twin Boano vs. Africa Twin Marathon, the most well prepared Africa Twins in Portugal.
Absolutely fantastic!!

Well done - great to see the comparison and write up between the two.

Most of all a massive to Bruno for building both of them.
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #11074
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442

These two Africa Twin are FANTASTIC!!!
Congratulations .
Keep up the good work!

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #11075
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,860
Quote:
2 cleanings of the carburetor cause i have used sylicone to seal and that sylicone disolved and clogged one jet . membranes are ok.
You have diagnosed your own problem.

Looks like you get to clean the carbs for the 3rd time. Ether from the silicone or from 6 months storage with fuel in the float bowls.

Next time use the drain screws at the bottom of the carb bowls. Turn fuel off, drain and store the carbs dry.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #11076
twinie
traveler

The concept is the same, two African inspired trail machines. Changes made ??from the same model with different specificities, a good suggestion for the Japanese brand to follow as an example to re-selling this model and another one with more focused chassis for primarily use in "offroad".

In February, we had the opportunity to go try these two prototypes of Portuguese origin, designed by the same creator, whom we appreciate his generous hospitality.

The trail bikes concentrate on machine size and sleek dimensions, having a versatility rarely found in other segments, and these are no exception to this rule. With regard to the characteristics, we can then make a brief analysis of these two prototypes.

We start then this comparison by the component which gives them the name, the carnage. In the case of Marathon Rallye, this results in a better wind protection due to be greater size. On the other side, the Boano Rallye, wich is made of Kevlar causing it to be lighter and, in the event of a fall, is not broken.

Regarding the front suspension, the Marathon Rally is lighter and possess a bigger clearance/gap, adapting itself more for off road use. In the case of Boano Rallye although the clearance is slightly less, it proved quite effective both in the use "offroad" both in road use or with higher load. The damper in Boano Rallye front suspension was subjected to level 3 for the preparation of Race Tech Beja, obtaining a much more efficiency than the original one. In both projects was even replaced the original Pro-Link by Africa Queens, thereby offsetting the changes made to the front suspension of the two bikes.

The front braking system of Marathon Rallye is formed by a 320mm disk which proves to be very similar to the braking of the original Africa Twin, while the two 300mm floating discs give a much higher braking power in Boano Rallye. On the rear braking the Marathon Rallye had a change to the set of tweezers Brembo, a piston disk and 220mm diameter for the sake of compatibility with the KTM cube of.

Both projects are equipped with Excel rims, front Marathon Rallye features a narrow rim, which causes it to be more agile compared to the original one, that remain in Boano Rallye. The rear rim is a 18 Marathon Rally, wich gets a better reading of the terrain and offers a greater variety in the choice of tire and prices significantly lower than 17, and also allows the application of the grip (which in case of rolling with very low pressure valve prevents the beheading of the chamber air).

The changes which suffered the Marathon Rally, in order to get a better engine performance has been the implementation of the Dynojet and the Arrow exhaust, significantly improving engine response, by changing the air filter box with venting of the UNI and air filter PiperCross sponge. In the case of Boano Rallye, it had changed only if the exhaust system of the Arrow LeoVinci, finding a better balance between the high and low speeds.

The cockpit of the two projects is very similar changing only one or another component, but nothing too significant since the main features are identical. With regard to the tables in Boano Rallye addition to being of Scoot's, with an offset of 18mm despite having a smaller steering angle than the offset 20 mm in Marathon Rallye installed, does not limit its turning radius, but provides more stability at high speed. It was also installed on the two bikes to float reserve fuel marketed by Africa Queens.

As for the aesthetics of the project, noted that the Marathon Rally has some details like the fact that some of its components are made ??of carbon and that both the paintings convey a quality above the ordinary extraordinary. The idea behing the Boano Rallye was to create a "20 years edition", an evolution of the original concept, without losing its carisma.

Other issues that deserve some attention are, for example the seat applied to the more comfortable Touratech Rallye Boano, thus following a logic of greater versatility in its design intended. In the case of the application of Marathon Rally protections handle Enduro Engeniring provide greater wind protection.

These two projects provide significant improvements to an off-road use of Africa Twins. Whether in the case of Marathon Rally, to a more specific usage and in the case of Boano Rallye following a little more original concept, yet completely remodeled.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #11077
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
All I can say is WOW!!! Truly inspiring work.

Could you explain the Bembro rear brake, part number and what modding would have to be done to make it work on an original swing arm.

Also noticed on the Boano that you didn't use the Boano front suspension but rather KTM/WP, which KTM and what years uses the twin front disks?

Thanks in advance and please keep up the great work. Is there a build thread that I missed somewhere?
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #11078
twinie
traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
Thanks in advance and please keep up the great work. Is there a build thread that I missed somewhere?
thanks for the feedback

here it is!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778120

i will answer all of those questions soon, okei?

cheers
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #11079
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
Facet question

Should have the new facet arriving tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what they used to create the inlet and outlet pipes for the fuel hose to connect to? Is it going to come with the tubing required? Any advice on making the conversion easy would be very appreciated. Cheers
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #11080
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Should have the new facet arriving tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what they used to create the inlet and outlet pipes for the fuel hose to connect to? Is it going to come with the tubing required? Any advice on making the conversion easy would be very appreciated. Cheers

Fittings are 1/8 X 27 NPT which can be sourced at most auto part stores. You want the inside diam. of a 1/4" as seen from the end view where your hose attaches.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #11081
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Great

Thanks once again. Will grab them tomorrow and finally have the bike back up for riding.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #11082
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Tunisia Report

Hy Guys /

Our report from Tunisia is finally over
5 pages.

I kindly invite you all.

Wanna see how ATwin can be nicely ridden in dunes?

CLICK HERE
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #11083
Dog_River
Stubborn Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
AT for sale Canada

motivated..... make me an offer on this great AT located in British Columbia

linky
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post18384823

Dog_River
Dog_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #11084
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

facet mod

Ok guys I cut off the brakets and filed it down all nice but how in the hell did you get the stock round rubber boot to fit around the new pump?

Also the inside diameter of the nipples I installed into the pump are slightly smaller than the old ones. Any problem with this?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #11085
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 156
Pissed Facet fitting

Hi Reidy, I kept quiet and waited to see how you got on with fitting the Facet pump into that rubber sleeve.

I just went through that. Here's how.

First, I gave it several shots of spray silicone, working it in to make the rubber more flexible. I tried heating the rubber in nearly boiling water too. No success. Much wondering about my strength and cunning.....Many more tries, a few bad words, but no success.

So I took my Dremel tool with the sanding drum (about 1/2 " diam.), and very carefully smoothed out that sharp edge inside the sleeve, which is there to grip a flange on the OEM pump. I ground out just a little all around, and faired the shape so there weren't any sharp edges inside.

Then I worked in more silicone to the new surfaces inside the sleeve, two or three times. I put the pump in a vise and prepared to do battle again, and was surprised when it all went together without any bad language.

I don't know if that is needed by everyone, maybe my hands aren't as strong as some.......but it worked for me!

If you spray some more silicone inside the sleeve, you can slip it around to align exactly the way you want before fitting in place of the OEM pump.

I hope this helps you.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote