Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #11086
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Ok guys I cut off the brakets and filed it down all nice but how in the hell did you get the stock round rubber boot to fit around the new pump?

Also the inside diameter of the nipples I installed into the pump are slightly smaller than the old ones. Any problem with this?
It's like wrestling a greased pig...and actually quite funny how some folks over at xrv.org have managed to get that sucker on.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-...acet-pump.html

Order a new rubber from Honda if you manage to split it.

So...you don't have the pipe fitting as in the pic. A spring type clamp might not work and it will be too loose and may leak so just use a jubilee
type clamp.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #11087
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 646
Fuel pump.

Quote:
Ok guys I cut off the brakets and filed it down all nice but how in the hell did you get the stock round rubber boot to fit around the new pump?

Also the inside diameter of the nipples I installed into the pump are slightly smaller than the old ones. Any problem with this?
I posted photos when I replaced mine some where in this thread. It's like a bar puzzle that you can't figure out, but once you do it's like that was to easy!!!.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #11088
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I gave up in the end and just wrapped some rubber around it and zip tied it to the frame.
My rubber resides in a drawer somewhere, maybe I will revisit it when I do the rebuild seeing as you guys make it sound so easy
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #11089
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 161
Fuel pipe clamps

Reidy, You can buy neat flat spring clamps at your local hardware store. They are used on lawnmowers, etc. Take a piece of hose and get the size that fits.
dennism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #11090
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,069
Skid plate

Well my poor onld skid plate has taken a beating.

I don't believe I have ever noticed this huge tear in it before but it sticks up about 3 inches and is about 4 inches long. I am wondering if some one has a picture of one in a good condition as I think there was a space cut in this area befor ebut maybe not. I would like to beat it out and then patch it up.

I have the Facet installed, lines plumbed and wired in and bike is running great. I have not figured out how I am going to secure it but I think I will cut a piece of tube and insulate it and then use a pipe clamp. I tried for about 5 minutes to fit the stock rubber mount and decided it wasn't worth screwing with. Will post up pic once I get it finished and also let you know how the clutch came out once I can ride it tomorrow evening.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #11091
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
bashplate

i don't see any tear . if you are talking about the big hole in the picture ,that's normal. they all have that.it's an access hole to the oil drain bolt. is it not??? i don't know maybe i missed what you are pointing at.
i'm sure someone will come along with a better answer.

on another note, PAPA PETE is still alive and well ( i hope ) haven't heard a word from him in a while.

HI PAPA PETE

north rider
1987 HONDA XL600V ( TRANSALP )
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #11092
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Readdy great job on the Facet, as far as the so called tear goes that is original, mine has it also and my bash plate looks brand new, I can still see the marks on the edges of the aluminum where it was stamped.

As far as fitting the OEM rubber over the Facet fuel pump for the rest of you that are thinking of trying or have gone to alternative mounts. What I did was put a light spray of white lithium grease on the pump while it was locked in a vise, just start in one corner and force it around the second corner then I took a screwdriver and in a prying motion I managed to stretch the rubber while applying pressure with my left hand on the original two corners so as not to slip off, the rubber never managed to go on with the screwdriver stuck between the rubber and the pump but it did a fantastic job stretching the rubber because as soon as the screwdriver was out the rubber just slid over the pump with out any trouble. One thing to also note is that once the rubber is started/partially on you will have to align the mounting points because once the rubber is on all the way it will not slide around the pump so that you can align the mounting points, once you are aligned all you have to do is, with an open palm hit on the rubber and it will slide right over the pump, it doesn't take a lot to hit the rubber the rest of the way on the pump, so don't think that you have to bruise the palm of your hand doing it, it really slides on quite easily.
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #11093
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:

I don't believe I have ever noticed this huge tear in it before but it sticks up about 3 inches and is about 4 inches long. I am wondering if some one has a picture of one in a good condition as I think there was a space cut in this area befor ebut maybe not. I would like to beat it out and then patch it up.

I have the Facet installed, lines plumbed and wired in and bike is running great. I have not figured out how I am going to secure it but I think I will cut a piece of tube and insulate it and then use a pipe clamp. I tried for about 5 minutes to fit the stock rubber mount and decided it wasn't worth screwing with. Will post up pic once I get it finished and also let you know how the clutch came out once I can ride it tomorrow evening.
Northrider is correct...it is an access hole for removing the oil drain bolt and changing your oil without having to remove the bash plate. Most here probably just take the bash plate off to change the oil as it looks like it has good potential to just drain into the bash plate.

So you gave up after 5 min trying to get that rubber on the Facet...you quitter. C'mon man...you can do it.
IMO it is much more neat and tidy to install that rubber without the use of ty wraps or bolted on brackets etc...no butchery allowed.

Question...What oil did you put in your crankcase? FYI...their are some good m'cycle oil petroleum/synthetic blends out there...and probably safer that way.

GSPD750 screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 04:46 AM
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #11094
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
I used silicone spray and two tie-wrap rings to pull the rubber on the facet., take everyone's advice and give it another go, it will bother you in the future to see a crappy job on the center of the frame, you might think it's no big deal but I actually had to go back and do it again after a couple of months, it looked awful and not just to my eyes... Also, make sure you use teflon on the nipples, I didn't initially and had a minor leak, which is very dangerous...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #11095
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:

Remind me of mine a couple of years ago. Thing was, I didnt even see it untill I hit it...

Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #11096
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,069
Cheers

Nice replies guys. I thought I had put a rock up throught the plate but that all makes sense. I have never noticed it before and I have had the plate of quite a few times. Seems this was the first time I cared enough to look at it although as most of you will remember I had to remove about 20 pounds of clay from it so I probably got my first real look at it up close..

As for the facet I am now thinking I will try and install the stock boot as everything else is looking like crap. I also have a couple of ideas on how to install it easier so I will let you guys know how that works out.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #11097
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Remind me of mine a couple of years ago. Thing was, I didnt even see it untill I hit it...

Looks like you both hit that same damn rock!!!

I'm sure others have hit it too...don't feel bad.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #11098
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
By the way, for those wondering, the oil runs cleanly through that hole without the risk of leaking inside the bash plate. I have changed the oil many times without removing the plate without issues..

It's funny how most of us notice that big a hole only after some kind of impact and later inspection, otherwise it is completely invisible..
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #11099
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
This past winter has been a difficult one for me. I have one more session to go and here is my reward on Tuesday.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #11100
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
This past winter has been a difficult one for me. I have one more session to go and here is my reward on Tuesday.
Stay strong Jim! Enjoy your ride.