Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #11146
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with the carbs that is allowing the fuel to be forced out the overflow hose? Now its not a lot of fuel but it is fuel coming out when its not supposed to, now I have learned to have the key off until needed, but I am just trolling to see if this has been seen and dealt with.

I've been experiencing this myself. I've installed a 'red' facet, but was told hte 'blue' facet is teh low pressure unit, but couldn;t find anywhere. Finally the spareshop refunded my deposit and I just settled for the more powerful one. Been 'looking' for the lower pressure one ever since, as I'm experiencing overflow issues as well when teh bike is standing 'at idle' like traffic situations. I've resorted to closing the fuel tap 'in between'

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #11147
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
I have a quick question regarding the facet pump. When I got my RD04 I did a complete rebuild before even really riding it (18klm to get her home and the project began). Part of the restoration process was to put the facet in. Anyway the question comes down to an overflow of fuel out of the float bowl ie the key on pump running but engine not running. I have heard that the 40105 facet pump has too much power and that there is another pump from facet that has less power, I'm not having buyers remorse about the pump but I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with the carbs that is allowing the fuel to be forced out the overflow hose? Now its not a lot of fuel but it is fuel coming out when its not supposed to, now I have learned to have the key off until needed, but I am just trolling to see if this has been seen and dealt with.

Thanks for the help
Keith
Again...I thought you fired that mechanic already. For starters your Facet should not run with the key turned on. If you look at the Haynes wiring diagram you will see a fuel cut-off relay in the circuit and from what I gather it is bypassed and your Facet is wired somewhere on the ignition side. The pump should only run when the bike is running.
If you wire it in like your old pump was then you should have the black wire from the new Facet which goes to the green wire which is (ground).
The red wire from the new Facet goes to the wire that is colored blue/black. That wire in turn goes to the fuel cut-off relay as seen in the Haynes manual wiring diagram.
Their is always a possibility you could have some crud on your float needle valve in one of the carbs...but i doubt it. Your pump pressure is just fine on the 40105 and it's not so unusual to see fuel coming out the overflow drain if the pump is running and the engine is not.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #11148
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
I've been experiencing this myself. I've installed a 'red' facet, but was told hte 'blue' facet is teh low pressure unit, but couldn;t find anywhere. Finally the spareshop refunded my deposit and I just settled for the more powerful one. Been 'looking' for the lower pressure one ever since, as I'm experiencing overflow issues as well when teh bike is standing 'at idle' like traffic situations. I've resorted to closing the fuel tap 'in between'
What Facet model numbers are we talking about? The 40106 pressure is too high and will overflow at idle speed. What you want is the 40105....it seems to be the only proven one.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #11149
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Wink

GSPD, Squily thanks for the quick response. Squily sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. Mine isn't that bad, by the way I picked my pump from aircraft spruce and I think that they had the full line of facet pumps including yours, the 40105 and also the lower pressure pump which I think the call the 40104. GSPD I have the pump wired up like you say so does that mean that the relay is bad? I am really surprised that its common for there to be any kind of overflow but then again it may be the relay.

Also the mechanic that I have is the best I know and really the only one that I trust. I think for his first rebuild he did a pretty good job.

Thanks again for the help.

Also, guys at Rugged Roads I haven't forgotten to get back with you I just have been busy, also the stuff that I need to get is going to be well over a $1000 so I keep going over my list and the fact that you guys are now going to have those bad a** new crash bars doesn't help.

Keith
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #11150
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,977
Facet mod

I just recently did my switch over due to a failed original pump. I got the 40105 and it has worked perfectly. As stated the pump is not receiving power unless the ignition switch is pushed and the bike is running. If you put a test light on the power side it will not be live until you are turning the bike over.

This was the simplest and easiest way I found to mount the new pump and not have to fight the old boot over it. I cut the sections of the holder and fitted them to the bike and then the pumped slid between them fitting nice and tight. Safety wired it in place and "bob's your uncle"
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #11151
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 202
Africa Twin Klub Magyarország

We ride today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQ43...dm6R2oMFql0%3D
Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #11152
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
GSPD, Squily thanks for the quick response. Squily sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. Mine isn't that bad, by the way I picked my pump from aircraft spruce and I think that they had the full line of facet pumps including yours, the 40105 and also the lower pressure pump which I think the call the 40104. GSPD I have the pump wired up like you say so does that mean that the relay is bad? I am really surprised that its common for there to be any kind of overflow but then again it may be the relay.

Also the mechanic that I have is the best I know and really the only one that I trust. I think for his first rebuild he did a pretty good job.

Thanks again for the help.

Also, guys at Rugged Roads I haven't forgotten to get back with you I just have been busy, also the stuff that I need to get is going to be well over a $1000 so I keep going over my list and the fact that you guys are now going to have those bad a** new crash bars doesn't help.

Keith
Just being sarcastic with the mechanic comment. We hear some real horror stories from over there...i might have mistaken you for the guy in Hanoi.

Ok...the relay...it normally fails where the pump won't work at all..but yes it could go the other way. Order one up. Futher troubleshooting in the Haynes page 4-21 where they explain it pretty good including locations of the relay for your model.
As mentioned already some dirt or debris stuck in the float needle valve could also cause overflow with a continously running pump and with the engine not running...but you never had this problem before the Facet right?

Never heard of anyone using the 40104...pump pressures might be too low.

GSPD750 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 02:28 PM
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #11153
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
This was the simplest and easiest way I found to mount the new pump and not have to fight the old boot over it. I cut the sections of the holder and fitted them to the bike and then the pumped slid between them fitting nice and tight. Safety wired it in place and "bob's your uncle"
At least you won't have to worry about anyone poking their hands in there.

I suppose you could put some heat shrink on those barbs to make it
look tidy...any maybe even save some blood....otherwise good job.

GSPD750 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 02:33 PM
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #11154
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I'll take a look at the whole thing when I get home, we just got done with the Thai New Year and it was a lot of fun but I get tired of being wet all day after a week of water fights, enough is enough. So from what I am hearing is, is that my situation is somewhat unusual in the fact that I'm wired up the same as original but that its not the pump that's failed that its the fact that the pump comes on with the key and not the magic button. I didn't have the bike long enough before I did the rebuild so I have no idea if the problem was pre existing, the wiring harness wasn't that butchered, most of it was in its extrimities like turn signals.

Thanks for all of the help.

PS this is the only country that I have ever heard of , of having four, yes FOUR New Years. Regular Jan 1st but they also have the Chinese calander which the year is 2555 that is also on Jan 1. Then there is the celebration of the Chinese New Year which is in April I think, then the Thai New Year which we just had. Totally Crazy

Keith
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #11155
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
...your Facet should not run with the key turned on...
I think I read somewhere that if you stop the engine using the kill switch but still leave the ignition on the fuel pump is still working...
I just looked at the circuit but couldn't figure it out... maybe it's still too early in the morning for me... I think I need another cup of coffee...

On another note, wouldn't replacing the float valves (part #24 below) help to reduce this overflow problem? This is the only point where I think the OEM fuel pump beats the Facet... by including a pressure switch, that's what the contact points really are... a pressure switch...

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 02:25 AM
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #11156
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byke_Baikonur View Post

Great video, Sergey!

Spassiba for the insights of Kazahks backroads'
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #11157
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,545
The voltage from the original wires & pump actually rise as the bike revs increase etc. The DC Voltage also pulses too. Or at least it has on the ones I have tested.

Im heading to Thailand (Phuket) on monday so can take a look for you.

I just love these old Honda's, it's a pity they don't make them like they used to.

Quote:
Well I'll take a look at the whole thing when I get home, we just got done with the Thai New Year and it was a lot of fun but I get tired of being wet all day after a week of water fights, enough is enough. So from what I am hearing is, is that my situation is somewhat unusual in the fact that I'm wired up the same as original but that its not the pump that's failed that its the fact that the pump comes on with the key and not the magic button. I didn't have the bike long enough before I did the rebuild so I have no idea if the problem was pre existing, the wiring harness wasn't that butchered, most of it was in its extrimities like turn signals.

Thanks for all of the help.

PS this is the only country that I have ever heard of , of having four, yes FOUR New Years. Regular Jan 1st but they also have the Chinese calander which the year is 2555 that is also on Jan 1. Then there is the celebration of the Chinese New Year which is in April I think, then the Thai New Year which we just had. Totally Crazy

Keith
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #11158
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Hodgo, thanks for the offer but I'm up north of BKK at the moment and the bike is near Nakon Sawan what a great offer. Hope that you have a good time down south, by the way its going to be hottttt. Quick question how long is the flight here? As far as everyone else's help thank you and I will report back and let you all know what becomes of my overflow problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #11159
goran e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114

(Powered by frubar.net)

A evo i jedan link ako nekog interesuje
http://www.motori.hr/forum/index.php...,220231.0.html
goran e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #11160
MakS
Adventurer