Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #11176
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
All my AT brothers in the states, the family and I are thinking about coming back to the states and leaving an extremely important part of the family here would just kill me. Now I know that there has been some talk here in the past about AT's being brought to the states but I was wondering if there was any first hand knowledge/experience. I would ideally like to go back to Oregon but Calif might also be an option. How would the bike have to come in, would it have to come in, in pieces? Anyone have a family member of friend at the DMV that needs anything like a new car or house? I'm sure that there has to be a fairly easy/reasonable way to do it but I have no idea and leaving it here just isn't anything I want to do.

Thanks for any help or advice also AT Greg hope I helped.

Keith
Piece of cake. Ship the bike over in parts. Reassemble and start the process. It's much easier in Colorado if you have a 17 digit VIN but not impossible if you don't.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #11177
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
AT Greg I just thought of something if I'm not mistaken and please someone more knowledgeable than I please chime in but I think that you can bypass that connector at the starter solenoid and wire in your own 30amp fuse. I would get a waterproof blade inline fuse, I believe Jim also sells these. It won't look like a botch job and will be far superior to the original as it will be waterproof.

Keith
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #11178
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr. Rowley I'm sure that Calif would be a nightmare to try to do but I don't think that Colorado is going to be an option for us, nothing against your beautiful state but I would have to live there in order to get it licenced and registered. Maybe Oregon will be easy.

Keith
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #11179
Jim Rowley
Rise above

My CA friends have found a way around the red tape so have my OR friends. I'm sure some will chime in. It's not impossible. I lived in Kalifornistan from 1972 to 2004. Now I visit or play tourist if I feel the need.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #11180
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry everyone for all of these posts but I forgot, Mr Rowley I hope that you are feeling better and I was thinking, like your signiture line said that the cancer only works during the week, well if you treat everyday like the weekend then you should be feeling better. Truly hope that, that is the case. Also I need to order two of those fuel line quick releases from you, the RD04 can be a real pain getting the tank off, as I currently have to use two needle nose vise grips on the fuel lines right off the petcocks.

Keith
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #11181
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

AT Greg, I did mine when I bought my RD04 and Jim Davis has the set up that you need for worry free riding and at a fair price. I got my mosfet R/R form a CBR600RR year 07-10, got it off eBay, it will bolt right up to the same holes as the original. While I was ordering the R/R kit from Jim I also ordered about 20 to 25 of his waterproof electrical connectors so that I could replace all of the original connectors mainly for the reliability as will as the waterproofing because breaking down in the middle of nowhere Thailand was something I didn't want to do. I still need to get a count of the remaining connectors to complete the job but I strongly recommend you do the same, most of the original connectors were still good but there were a few that were suspect, so I'm glad I did it.

All my AT brothers in the states, the family and I are thinking about coming back to the states and leaving an extremely important part of the family here would just kill me. Now I know that there has been some talk here in the past about AT's being brought to the states but I was wondering if there was any first hand knowledge/experience. I would ideally like to go back to Oregon but Calif might also be an option. How would the bike have to come in, would it have to come in, in pieces? Anyone have a family member of friend at the DMV that needs anything like a new car or house? I'm sure that there has to be a fairly easy/reasonable way to do it but I have no idea and leaving it here just isn't anything I want to do.

Keith
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #11182
mhouck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
RD03 Rebuild (Carb info)

Anyone have any advise on carb parts for an '88 XRV 650?
I'm in Canada and am having trouble sourcing parts.
I have found a carb gasket & float valve kit from Wemoto in the UK, but that's about it. I've read the Honda Hawk may have the same carbs?
Thanks

mhouck screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 04:49 PM
mhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #11183
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
Sorry everyone for all of these posts but I forgot, Mr Rowley I hope that you are feeling better and I was thinking, like your signiture line said that the cancer only works during the week, well if you treat everyday like the weekend then you should be feeling better. Truly hope that, that is the case. Also I need to order two of those fuel line quick releases from you, the RD04 can be a real pain getting the tank off, as I currently have to use two needle nose vise grips on the fuel lines right off the petcocks.

Keith
Quit being so formal. I'm doing much better these days. In the monitoring mode now.

I did some work on my RD04 yesterday and one thing led to another. I repositioned my GPS so I could use the remote antenna. I had to take the tank off to run the wire along the frame to the rear fender where I had the antenna itself. Then I replaced the fuel filter since it was there. With all the bodywork off, I decided to wash the bike and I cleaned the air filter while I was at it. At the end of the day, I managed to get a lot done but not the one thing I set out to do. I wanted to raise my handlebars up an inch. Maybe today.

When I took the tank off, I didn't have any trouble sliding the hoses off the petcocks. Using needle nose visegrips would certainly accelerate the wear on the rubber. Maybe you need new fuel lines. Mine are still pliable. I'll sell you the quick disconnects but it's not what I would recommend.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #11184
mechahayai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
a fellow AdvRider on this morning's commute:

That bike looks a lot like one that was for sale in AZ not long ago. How may ATs could there be in CO?
mechahayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #11185
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
AT Greg,

Keith
Keith

welcome to the Oregon AT contingent

Mine was a title transfer from California and was a breeze, though my Vin number is only 11 digits ! Insurance was easy as well.
Now Stefan (coyotetrips) can give you a detailed flow sheet of his adventure in getting his AT titled (and bonded) in this State. Make sure you contact him.
Great State to ride, yet Oregonians are some of the worst drivers i've seen (defensive beyond common sense, they CAN be dangerous)...though i'm sure you're well trained in Tailand.
look forward to more news !!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #11186
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
advice please, well after close to 400,000km not surprisingly my AT is having some electrical dramas

Had a meltdown of the connector between the starter solenoid and the main wiring harness , Ive managed to scrounge another green socket that attaches to the solenoid but no idea where to get the red connector thats on the end of the wiring harness and plugs in , pic attached , any ideas ??

Also looks like my reg /rec is on the way out again ( not bad only the 3rd one) Has anyone done the mosfet upgrade on an rdo4 and can provide some advice on wiring etc

Kit here.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SHINDENGEN-FH012A...DLVI%26ps%3D63

Or stand alone.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SHINDENGEN-FH012A...item588d6f8f22

See Jim for connectors.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...onnectors.html

More here...

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #11187
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Jim sorry about the formality, habit. Curious as to why you wouldn't use the quick release, my lines are still new and in good shape but I just don't like the inevitable wear and tear that is going to occurs.

AT Greg looks like people are recommending the fh012 R/R. The kit and R/R that I got and used was a fh008. The fh008 is what the cbr600rr 07-10 uses, just trying to cut down on any confusion.

Alainmax, curious as to insurance prices, as I'm not an Oregonian yet or should I say again. I have been overseas for the last 10 years so I have no idea what insurance costs. I still have a current Georgia licence which was the last place I had my licence renewed while I was in the Marine Corps. The state of Georgia extends your licence out to the year that you are supposed to get out. Anyway I will need to get my licence renewed for Oregon.

As far as Oregonians being bad drivers I would have thought that survival of the fittest would have gotten rid of them. In SE Asia if you're not offensive you will get run over or pushed out of the way with not even an excuse me.

Keith
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #11188
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
thanks for all the info guys, will digest and let you know how I go
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #11189
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
@ dreamer , good idea about replacing all the plugs , which connectors did you buy ??

wonder if a complete new wiring harness is still available , mmm dread the price

GSPD , those kits look good but he doesnt have any current listing

I think cutting the plug & socket out for the starter and wiring in a seperate fuse holder will be the way to go
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #11190
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
@ dreamer , good idea about replacing all the plugs , which connectors did you buy ??

wonder if a complete new wiring harness is still available , mmm dread the price

GSPD , those kits look good but he doesnt have any current listing

I think cutting the plug & socket out for the starter and wiring in a seperate fuse holder will be the way to go
Your right...I don't see those Mosfets on his site. That was an old link. Maybe shoot him a pm.
Start relays should be sourced from anywhere I would imagine....such as.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/SR11.html

Once you get your mitts on a Mosfet whether it be a new one or from another bike (try your local breakers) then pm Jim at Eastern Beaver. He will set you up and recommend to you what you will need for a harness and connectors. He also rides an AT.