Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #11221
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noprogram View Post
Hi Farcall, great pictures! Is the AT going to become the weapon of choice once you get the fuel range up or are you going to keep the DR for bush riding? I've got some Australian touring planned for July but not sure if I should bring the AT and just stick to the main routes or bring a XR or DR for increased versatility? -DR with the Safari tank obviously a popular choice for the outback. Any feedback on your own preferences? Thanks for sharing the amazing photos also Squily. Got an amazing country over there.

Sascha: great photo's on the web (not bad country through the Molesworth eh!?) and good luck with RTW....awesome!
Gday NP. And thanks.

Whether to bring the AT or DR to Oz? Tough to answer that unless you say where you'd like to travel in Oz and what time of the year. Rather than clutter this thread with that discussion, feel free to PM me if you like.

I see my DR in my garage for the next 3 to 5 years whilst I get the super remote, gnarly desert rides bug out my system. Those rides really test me (maybe not others though) and I love the challenge and the country. I never book into a motel (cos there are none out there) but I still tell people I check in to the Five Million Star hotel every night.

I bought the AT because I'm hoping it will become the replacement for the GSA by providing greater versatility. Gnarly creek or river crossings on the GSA are very problematical due to the ridiculously low air cleaner intake (I've seen the $$$ outcomes first hand ). Riding deep sand or slick mud on the GSA in remote country is just plain tough work and really shows itself to be the wrong bike for me in those conditions. Don't get me wrong, I love riding the GSA, just not 'out there'.

So if everything falls into place, one day the iconic AT will be my only bike in the garage. The gnarly desert rides will be behind me but the long distance rides on less travelled tracks into isolated areas will still beckon and an AT with 43 litres on tap will be just the ticket I reckon.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #11222
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
OK guys, quick question for the RD04, what is being used for fall protection for the rear side panels without pannier racks? I would love to have alum panniers but I think that I'm going to go with some kind of a soft bag like something from Wolfman or G/L and I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would fit under a soft bag and when the bags are removed there would be some kind of protection similar to crash bars that are used up front?

Thanks in advance for any info, if there isnt anything out there I wonder if I could get the guys at RR to make a set (hope this isn't being forward)

Keith
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #11223
Dutchy506
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
OK guys, quick question for the RD04, what is being used for fall protection for the rear side panels without pannier racks? I would love to have alum panniers but I think that I'm going to go with some kind of a soft bag like something from Wolfman or G/L and I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would fit under a soft bag and when the bags are removed there would be some kind of protection similar to crash bars that are used up front?

Thanks in advance for any info, if there isnt anything out there I wonder if I could get the guys at RR to make a set (hope this isn't being forward)

Keith
i think you need to have some made...
never seen any rear protection for any bike. (apart from stunt and school bikes)
Dutchy506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #11224
Spencer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Try overland-solutions they have some creations for the XRV.
Maybe not order due to postage, but you'll get some inspiration.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #11225
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:

Keith
Hey Keith - we're ahead of the game on these (well they're booked on the production schedule )

Short answer is yes - currently we have the RD03/04 Crashbars in production, (pic below is of the mock up)

Next up is the Transalp XL650V Crashbars - THEN we can move onto soft luggage frames for the Africa Twins.

Basically they will be protection bars for the rear that you can also strap soft luggage to and keep it out of the wheel and off the exhaust.

Something along the lines of what I have on my Tenere, but with a cross brace at the rear - we just got to decide which ones to do first - RD04 or RD07/07A

1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #11226
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8 View Post
...we just got to decide which ones to do first - RD04 or RD07/07A

Do the RD07A first!
Do the RD07A first!

You stirrer...

Edit: Oh...while I think of it... see if the design of the LHS bar can incorporate space for tool tube on the 'inside' something like this bloke has done
11 K1600GTL

farcall screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 08:24 PM
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #11227
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry about this Stormforce, don't you hate it when your customers are never happy, you are now making really the only crash bars for the RD04 and I'm asking for more. I guess when you find a company that has such great products as well as great customer service its hard not to keep ask for more especially for the RD04.

I think it should be the RD04, age before beauty, no wait, age and beauty before youth,

Those soft luggage racks/protection bars are exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for thinking of those of us that are just trying to keep these great bikes on the road/dirt as well as keeping them looking good.

Keith
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #11228
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

AT Greg, haven't heard for you for a while, how is your R/R project going? Hope that everything is going good and that you haven't run into any problems.

Keith
Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #11229
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,984
Quote:
AT Greg, haven't heard for you for a while, how is your R/R project going? Hope that everything is going good and that you haven't run into any problems.

Keith
Howdy,

got an FH08 off ebay, arrived yesterday, still sorting out my starter relay prob, when I get that sorted and the bike running I'll get onto the rg/rec and maybe a lightweight lithium battery
Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #11230
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 78
Quote:

Keith
I was just sketching up some approaches to this problem a couple of days ago after some Aussie guidance from Farcall.... but looks like Stormforce8 could whip some up for us imminently without me having to resort to some bad welding and cutting into beer drinking time?! I'm using a GL Great Basin at the moment which is a good set up but want to also be able to use my Andystrapz expedition panniers which are Aussie tour de force.

Good call on the tool tube, got one in the box of tricks but couldn't find a good place for it. Need them to go about somewhere here......

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #11231
Looseplug
XR600 plated.

Oddometer: 48
Question WTB Africa Twin, Manchester, England.

Hey Imates, am in the north of England...looking for a Africa Twin, have 2,000-3,000k
Mileage isn't a issue, MOT not needed but will take, what sort of mileage do they run too if it's been looked after..?~
Anything that i need to aviod, am pertty green on the Africa Twin, so any hints or absue welcome...
PM me with anything that's worth a look, minter to a no runner....HAS TO HAVE the paper work .
Any year or model worth chasing or avIoding.....cheers inmates

Looseplug screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 07:49 AM Reason: mis spell
Looseplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #11232
teddy750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
what about th givi?

Quote:

Keith
they have these kits for hard side cases but maybe it works for soft ones
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...148_normal.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...2794-32377.jpg
teddy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #11233
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looseplug View Post
...Mileage isn't a issue, MOT not needed but will take, what sort of mileage do they run too if it's been looked after..?~
Anything that i need to aviod, am pertty green on the Africa Twin, so any hints or absue welcome...
I'm very much an AT noob but have been swatting up. Others will no doubt chime in.

Many owners report very high, trouble-free kms from their AT's.

From what I have read so far, the only notable issues for the AT are (in no partic order)....
1. Regulator/Rectifier ($200 fix)
2. Fuel pump ($50 fix)
3. Out shaft bearing (big $$$ fix). I can't comment on whether this is a regular failing or whether its more of a failing triggered by owner/s running with an over tight chain. Given that the engine is reported to be almost bullet proof, I suspect its the latter.

The first two are a no-brainer... if they haven't already been replaced, replace 'em.

The third issue... test by dropping the counter sprocket & chain and check for fore & aft (9 o'clock to 3 o'clock) movement. Any free play means the engine comes out, split the cases and replace the bearing.

Hope this is some help
11 K1600GTL
Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #11234
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
I'm very much an AT noob but have been swatting up. Others will no doubt chime in.

Many owners report very high, trouble-free kms from their AT's.

From what I have read so far, the only notable issues for the AT are (in no partic order)....
1. Regulator/Rectifier ($200 fix)
2. Fuel pump ($50 fix)
3. Out shaft bearing (big $$$ fix). I can't comment on whether this is a regular failing or whether its more of a failing triggered by owner/s running with an over tight chain. Given that the engine is reported to be almost bullet proof, I suspect its the latter.

The first two are a no-brainer... if they haven't already been replaced, replace 'em.

The third issue... test by dropping the counter sprocket & chain and check for fore & aft (9 o'clock to 3 o'clock) movement. Any free play means the engine comes out, split the cases and replace the bearing.

Hope this is some help
Yup...you pretty much summed it up farcall. And yes, a worn output shaft bearing can usually be attributed to poor chain maintenance and most likely the chain being too tight. I myself use a cushioned (rubber) OEM front sprocket rather than an aftermarket all-steel sprocket FWIW....while at the same time I've heard others say they have had no ill effects on that bearing with an aftermarket sprocket.
It's important to maintain that 70mm of chain slack and to adjust accordingly if you add a pillion or more gear into your panniers.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #11235
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for your input but I think that I'll wait for R/R to come up with something specific for the RD04.

Here's another question, has anyone put Zerk fittings into the swing arm linkage? Would the grease even get into the roller bearings? Would the seals be able to handle the pressure of the grease being pumped in?

Thanks for any input
Keith