ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #11386
ravelv
from Baltic side of river
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 444
As somebody already suggested, I would make completely new harness instead of hunting for stock one. And main reason is very low quality wires used in stock harness (this generally applies to all vehicle industry, wires are cheap, sometimes too small gauge even today).
Today you can get really good wires, good connectors and a lot of choices of harness wrapping options. Even if you cannot crimp connectors, you can cut all wires and bring to somebody with good crimping tools (good tools are expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
HELP

OK, Ive decided seing Im keeping the old girl forever and after nearly 400,000km Im going to treat her to a new complete wiring harness to stave of any more electrical gremlims
...
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #11387
atgreg
Africatwinarama
 
atgreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 10,013
ah you guys

1 - $300 seems cheap to me for a wiring harness

2 - making my own, dont have the skills, patience or inclination

3 - renewing the current 1 , maybe but with 400,000km and at least 150 - 200,000km of dirt I'd have better peace of mind with new wires as well taking into acct the remote places I ride sometimes

4 - Eric , all those part No's are for 1990 RD04 XRV750L's , just different countries have different harnesses , knowing the differences is the tricky part

5 - the 1992 UK RD04 wiring harness is still available , if I remember correctly this has different instruments to my 1990 model so that may be the difference there

One of the guys on XRV.org had this to say;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
One definite difference with euro looms (non-UK) will be that only one headlamp will be wired for parking light and dipped headlamp. Both full beams will work though. This is apparently because a twin headlamped motorcycle could be confused with a very distant car (if you're clearly stupid!)

Some euro territories were very late to change over to halogen H4 headlamps on the AT, and were fitted with the old 35w BA20D fitting (bilux?) which are crap.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any other obvious changes, but there may well be, so worth checking a bit more before getting the credit card out.

Good Luck

__________________
1990 RD04 Africa twin 750
350,000km and still going strong
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #11388
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner
 
Africa_Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
ah you guys

1 - $300 seems cheap to me for a wiring harness

2 - making my own, dont have the skills, patience or inclination

3 - renewing the current 1 , maybe but with 400,000km and at least 150 - 200,000km of dirt I'd have better peace of mind with new wires as well taking into acct the remote places I ride sometimes

4 - Eric , all those part No's are for 1990 RD04 XRV750L's , just different countries have different harnesses , knowing the differences is the tricky part

5 - the 1992 UK RD04 wiring harness is still available , if I remember correctly this has different instruments to my 1990 model so that may be the difference there

One of the guys on XRV.org had this to say;

Greg, check your Inbox
__________________
Riding to the sunset... on my Africa Twin...
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ar/sigATCP.gif
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #11389
gpmucci
gpmucci
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 228
...

gpmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #11390
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: The pink lake less circled
Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmucci View Post
...

Cuanto?
How much?
Combien?
Wievel?

GP this is torture
__________________
He, whose nuts skim the ground while airborne, won't crash very far!


Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #11391
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmucci View Post
...

Bike porn.
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #11392
farcall
Bike-a-holic
 
farcall's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,844
From January 2012...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
Maybe it's been asked before and answered (if so- sorry):


Steering dampers for the AT: Anybody have some advise? What works and what doesn't?
Gday Squily

What did you end up doing about a steering damper?

I already own a Scotts SD which is SUB (Stabiliser Under Bar) mounted on my DR using a Scotts Universal Mount Plate (UM-1). I'm gunna buy another UM-1 plus a weld-on tower so I can swap the SD between the DR & AT.

To make it a SUB mount, leave out the spacers (in pic 6)

Edit... I skipped the anchoring in pic 4 and only used the supplied spring pin in the anchor hole shown in pic 5. Works well for me.

__________________
01 Africa Twin RD07A (x2)
05 HP2
11 K1600GTL

farcall screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 11:02 AM
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #11393
gpmucci
gpmucci
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 228
gpmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #11394
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer
 
ericGSsti's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Oddometer: 532
Need RD07a rear suspension advice. Thanks lads.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post18976985
__________________
2003 KTM 525 EXC
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S. (GO!!!!!!!!!!!)
IBA membership no.35934
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #11395
Squily
Squily
 
Squily's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Esperance WA
Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
From January 2012...


Gday Squily

What did you end up doing about a steering damper?

I already own a Scotts SD which is SUB (Stabiliser Under Bar) mounted on my DR using a Scotts Universal Mount Plate (UM-1). I'm gunna buy another UM-1 plus a weld-on tower so I can swap the SD between the DR & AT.

To make it a SUB mount, leave out the spacers (in pic 6)

Edit... I skipped the anchoring in pic 4 and only used the supplied spring pin in the anchor hole shown in pic 5. Works well for me.

I haven't done anything more. I called a bunch on the east coast and they said they'd come back to me. I forgot and never followed up on it. But thanks for the info- let me know how you progress as it seems you're not as lazy as I am
__________________

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #11396
Squily
Squily
 
Squily's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Esperance WA
Oddometer: 1,221
Finished the skid plates and bash plate








Now its just 'ride it like you stole it' see what doesn't work...
__________________

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #11397
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart
 
Stormforce8's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: New Forest, England
Oddometer: 520
Squily - great to see it finished - it's been a long 18 months, but now both you and the Twin are ready to roll yet again.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Africa Twin 'sand surfing' on those side plates
__________________
www.ruggedroads.com
2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD07A - Rugged Roads Rallye Sport,
2002 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD07A - RWB
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #11398
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
@dreamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Oddometer: 132
Hi everyone, hope that everyone is doing good. Have a question about the throttle cables, I have new cables that are routed as strait as they can be so I feel these two issues aren't going to be my problem and I have the original spring on the carbs so I am wondering if anyone has gone to only one throttle cable in order to minimize drag so that you get more of a snap on the throttle return. When I ride I always have my hand on the throttle and in modulating the speed I'm always pushing and pulling the throttle but when its on the side stand and you give it some gas it doesn't always go back and sometimes it slowly goes back. Hope this make since, also I have looked in the throttle housing and the cables are routed correctly.

Stormforce, how is that old rusty AT that you found coming along?
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #11399
gpmucci
gpmucci
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 228
some update..





gpmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #11400
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer
 
ericGSsti's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
Hi everyone, hope that everyone is doing good. Have a question about the throttle cables, I have new cables that are routed as strait as they can be so I feel these two issues aren't going to be my problem and I have the original spring on the carbs so I am wondering if anyone has gone to only one throttle cable in order to minimize drag so that you get more of a snap on the throttle return. When I ride I always have my hand on the throttle and in modulating the speed I'm always pushing and pulling the throttle but when its on the side stand and you give it some gas it doesn't always go back and sometimes it slowly goes back. Hope this make since, also I have looked in the throttle housing and the cables are routed correctly.

Stormforce, how is that old rusty AT that you found coming along?


Had the same problem, lubricated the cable and throttle (white bit under the hand grip) and changed the grips and it sorted it.
__________________
2003 KTM 525 EXC
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S. (GO!!!!!!!!!!!)
IBA membership no.35934
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014