Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #12436
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Hello everyone especially everyone in Oregon, Jim sorry to hear about the problems going on in Colorado, glad to hear that you are ok. This next part is for the guys in Oregon, I am going to be leaving Thighland and moving back to the Portland area. I am going to take the RD04 appart and add it to my household items, the problem that I am going to have is that the previous owner altered the numbers on the bikes headset as well as the engine. They are currently stamped as an XLV so I'm pretty sure that I can never going to get the bike registered and titled but it will be a good pile of parts that I can sell off or make a transalp nodded bike not sure what I'm going to do. Any idea if I could get a frame and engine from someone like Hamart to end up with a Twin in the states? The frame and engine are perfect just the stamps are bad, the vin plate on the right side of the frame has also been removed, what a mess. Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.

Keith
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #12437
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello everyone especially everyone in Oregon, Jim sorry to hear about the problems going on in Colorado, glad to hear that you are ok. This next part is for the guys in Oregon, I am going to be leaving Thighland and moving back to the Portland area. I am going to take the RD04 appart and add it to my household items, the problem that I am going to have is that the previous owner altered the numbers on the bikes headset as well as the engine. They are currently stamped as an XLV so I'm pretty sure that I can never going to get the bike registered and titled but it will be a good pile of parts that I can sell off or make a transalp nodded bike not sure what I'm going to do. Any idea if I could get a frame and engine from someone like Hamart to end up with a Twin in the states? The frame and engine are perfect just the stamps are bad, the vin plate on the right side of the frame has also been removed, what a mess. Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.

Keith
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #12438
mazinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
my restored RD03

Although I finished her (for Spanish speaking people, motorcycles are female while cars are male) some months ago I didn't have the time to post the photos...here they are,pictures of my 8th Africa Twin since I bought the first XRV 650 in 1988, and for me the most authentic Africa Twin (after owning all the models )

In my "harem", still my favourite girl, even though she has to compete with the gorgeous Goldwing, the young and skinny KTM530, or the goodforall GS 1200!!!

Mazinger
SPAIN

Africa Twin 650 GS 1200 KTM 530 EXC-R Goldwing 1500
mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #12439
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger View Post
Although I finished her (for Spanish speaking people, motorcycles are female while cars are male) some months ago I didn't have the time to post the photos...here they are,pictures of my 8th Africa Twin since I bought the first XRV 650 in 1988, and for me the most authentic Africa Twin (after owning all the models )

Mazinger
SPAIN
Stunning - nice to see an immaculate 'original' RD03
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #12440
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger View Post
Gorgeous!!!
Honda, please wake up!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #12441
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Mazinger,that is a beautiful motorcycle!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #12442
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,828
Quote:
I can never going to get the bike registered and titled but it will be a good pile of parts that I can sell off or make a transalp nodded bike
I'm not certain what the laws are like in Oregon. Many states only register a motorcycle by frame number and ignore the engine number. You'd have to check

BUT

The differences between the RD04 frame and a Transalp frame are negligible. It's only a matter of minor brackets for rear brake master cylinders and things like that that may require a bit of welding. You'd have your old RD04 frame to use as a template.

If it were me, I'd search for a salvaged Transalp, refurbish the frame, hang all your RD04 parts on it and register it as a Transalp. Stick a Transalp sticker or two on it and take it to a DMV office in some small town. I'd bet that would work.

The Oregonians will be able to tell you if engine number is important or not.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #12443
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 608
[The Oregonians will be able to tell you if engine number is important or not.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ray, hope you enjoy your "other" bike :)

i recall frme number is all they looked at ...
for insurance purpose i just added a bunch of zeros to make it 17 numbers on the VIN and voila.

Keith, we re in Portland, so i m sure we ll hook up somehow !!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #12444
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I'm not certain what the laws are like in Oregon. Many states only register a motorcycle by frame number and ignore the engine number. You'd have to check

BUT

The differences between the RD04 frame and a Transalp frame are negligible. It's only a matter of minor brackets for rear brake master cylinders and things like that that may require a bit of welding. You'd have your old RD04 frame to use as a template.

If it were me, I'd search for a salvaged Transalp, refurbish the frame, hang all your RD04 parts on it and register it as a Transalp. Stick a Transalp sticker or two on it and take it to a DMV office in some small town. I'd bet that would work.

The Oregonians will be able to tell you if engine number is important or not.

I've never had to register a bike from scratch, so maybe this is a stupid question, but if it is stamped as an XLV on frame and motor in such a way that looks legitimate, couldn't he try to register it as an XLV? Surely they wouldn't know the difference in some small town. And if someone accused you of a felony for tampering with the VIN because they recognized that it's an AT, just tell them you swapped frames with an XLV...

The VIN plate being gone may make things difficult...
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #12445
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 153
I can't help you with what is needed to register in Oregon, but I live in a small town in Kansas, and what they wanted to see was the number stamped onto the headstock of the frame, the factory plate was nice, but they didn't care.

Nobody here has any idea what is an Africa Twin, so they just put my bike in the closest category they could find in their system- with my help. I guided them to the TransAlp - but this one is a 750. Job done...

Wish I could tell you more.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #12446
Mika_AT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Little ride in Sud France :

Mika_AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #12447
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Everyone thank you for all of your words of wisdom. Another question I have is, is what kind of paperwork was required for the registering and titiling process. The reason I ask is because first of all everything is in Thai and second they use a book type system that basically lists the owner as well as previous owners. Ideally it would be the best for me if I didn't need this stuff from Thailand, just getting it all done at the DMV would be perfect but like I said I don't know. I wonder if there is anyone there in the Portland metro area that is willing to make a trip to the DMV for me and ask these questions, for the price.of a 12 pack or more if that is the going price. Basically I.would love to get my Twin back to the states without too much trouble. I will be putting the bike as parts into a continer and then once home put it back together. Now comes the real problems, what is necessary to get it registered and titled. Worst case I guess I could build a TransAlp but if I can keep the Twin that would be the best

Thanks for all the help in advance
Keith
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #12448
SD Splash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Emission Tag/Sticker Location for a 1990 XRV750 RD04 (Austrian)

All: Thank you for your replies regarding the RD04 emissions plate. SD Splash
SD Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #12449
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika_AT View Post
Little ride in Sud France

Looked like fun. Thanks for posting.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #12450
viducce
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 28
Screen for RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
As above lads got out for an hour today on the bike during my lunch break. Here a few pics I took.

Hi there, what screen is that?
I'm looking for a taller one for my 7a but can't decide....

Cheers, Chris
viducce is offline   Reply With Quote