Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #12466
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,548
Thanks everyone, I have some updates as well, I tried to see if the CDI temperature makes any difference AFTER the problems starts. So I let the bike get up to temp by revving at about 2k rpm, I wasn't sure if I could get the problem to pop up when stationary, but, about 10 mins later (at a higher engine temp than when riding!) the usual hick-up started. I took the CDI in hand (it was mostly at ambient temp except for a small spot on one side which was noticeably warmer but not too hot to touch) and I put it in the freezer. (don't laugh, this is science! )

About two minutes later I grabbed the CDI (along with a beer, since I was there already) and immediately plugged it and started the motor. It worked without issues (although it failed again much sooner than the initial 10 minutes since cold). In the other tests I had done earlier it would take the bike about 15 minutes switched off before it would idle normally again. I did the test once again with the same results.

I am leaning towards CDI at the moment, so I have arranged for a friend with the same RD07 to come and try to switch CDIs, which will either solve the problem or write CDI off the list.

Abilio, great stuff on the pulse generator, I now know what my next tests will be, obrigado!
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #12467
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Thanks everyone, I have some updates as well, I tried to see if the CDI temperature makes any difference AFTER the problems starts. So I let the bike get up to temp by revving at about 2k rpm, I wasn't sure if I could get the problem to pop up when stationary, but, about 10 mins later (at a higher engine temp than when riding!) the usual hick-up started. I took the CDI in hand (it was mostly at ambient temp except for a small spot on one side which was noticeably warmer but not too hot to touch) and I put it in the freezer. (don't laugh, this is science! )

About two minutes later I grabbed the CDI (along with a beer, since I was there already) and immediately plugged it and started the motor. It worked without issues (although it failed again much sooner than the initial 10 minutes since cold). In the other tests I had done earlier it would take the bike about 15 minutes switched off before it would idle normally again. I did the test once again with the same results.

I am leaning towards CDI at the moment, so I have arranged for a friend with the same RD07 to come and try to switch CDIs, which will either solve the problem or write CDI off the list.

Abilio, great stuff on the pulse generator, I now know what my next tests will be, obrigado!

If your friend brings over beer, which he should, (not bringing any to work on bikes would be blasphemy anyway) be sure he brings over the same type of beer as the one you had. You don't want to introduce any new variables. Then go back to the original CDI set ups, and switch the beer types this time. Consume the whole beer... you want to be thorough because that's what good scientists do.

Repeat the test at least 4 times with each type of beer to reduce experimental error. Record your results and report back.

But seriously, keep us updated. I am curious.
E-Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #12468
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Repeat the test at least 4 times with each type of beer to reduce experimental error.
In my case, I only have to repeat this twice before experimental error increases to the point that any further testing is statistically invalid (and I don't remember it anyway)

Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #12469
Galvão
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Galvão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #12470
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

Tserts, I have a friend with a RD07A just like mine. The previous owner of his bike had an "R-R going-over-charge-problem" and when my friend bought the bike from that guy, the R-R was already sorted (he had put in a new aftermarket replacement R-R, i.e. not OEM) but the rev counter was not working ever since that 1st R-R problem. When my friend mentioned this, we switched CDIs between our bikes and the problem followed the CDI from his bike over to mine, his bike rev counter was working fine with my bike's CDI...

So if you had a previous R-R problem, it's very well possible your CDI is on its way to 7 feet under the ground...

There is a company in Checz http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm who produces aftermarket programmable CDIs and you can get a quote from them for your RD07a (I think they don't have one specific for the AT, rather a "generalist" 750 V-twin type CDI which will probably work well with your AT. As the CDI is programmable direct from a PC with the right software, if you're so inclined to experiment, this is a possible solution. Or you could try http://www.hamart.at/shopG/ for a used part... there's no used CDIs there at the moment, but they are always changing their stock anyway... my friend ended up buying a 2nd-hand CDI for his bike (200 Euros-ouch!) in good working order and he's been running it ever since without problems... I've warned him though to change his R-R from the shitty original short-to-ground type to a new generation Mosfet... I don't know whether he sorted that out or not...

Anyway, keep us posted

Cheers

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 02:26 AM
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #12471
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post

Anyway, keep us posted
Luckily in Greece the @ is very common and parts are widely available, I have found about a dozen used CDIs starting from about 100 euros. I will start calling people around after I verify the CDI as the cause.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #12472
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Luckily in Greece the @ is very common and parts are widely available, I have found about a dozen used CDIs starting from about 100 euros. I will start calling people around after I verify the CDI as the cause.
Wow, at that price I think you inadvertently volunteered yourself to be our source for CDI's....
E-Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #12473
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
Wow, at that price I think you inadvertently volunteered yourself to be our source for CDI's....
count me in, son, count me in !!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #12474
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax View Post
count me in, son, count me in !!
Pick away.

Ok, 100 is the cheapest one, I got a few for 120-130 and some more at 150. If anyone wants anything I can help. Running RD07s start at 1200-1500 euros..
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #12475
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I'm back home in Calgary after a great ride from D2D in Dawson Clty Y.T. Weather was great up there and the AT performed flawless. A few more pics for anyone interested. This is somewhat like a Sturgis N.D of the North. I highly recommend you do it at least once.

Downtown Dawson at the D2D gathering.

At the junction to Hyder AK on the Cassiar hwy. I never went in this trip.

Nice little cabin for $60 a nite at Tatogga Lake BC on the Cassiar. Sure beats pitching a tent when your dog tired.

On the banks of the mighty Stikine River BC. This river flows downstream right past Telegraph Creek BC.

Somewhere on the upper reaches of the Stewart/Cassiar Hwy. Narrow with lots of twists.

Near Atlin BC which is only 140 kms south of Whitehorse Y.T. I was visiting a friend here for a few days and those mountains are only 100 kms from Juneau AK as the crow flys. A nice little side trip for anyone.

I met the German women again driving the AT who was also at D2D. Did I mention she was tall...just look at the height of the seat. That's Tim Hortons of course in Whitehorse Y.T.

I took a private barge across Babine Lake BC which caters to logging trucks. They have no problem taking the public across as you can see in the pic. I didn't go far into the roads on the other side being alone and all.

Been there...doing it again.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #12476
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswoolley View Post
After a decade of ownership, I've noticed that my bike has 'evolved' a little since new...

Iain
Looking good Iswoolly.

Nice thread by the way.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #12477
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post

I met the German women again driving the AT who was also at D2D. Did I mention she was tall...just look at the height of the seat. That's Tim Hortons of course in Whitehorse Y.T.

If you meet Julia and her Elenore again, please tell her greetings from me. It's great to read her ride reports and see her pics.
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #12478
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:

Ok so it's not the CDI...

We switched CDIs after my bike got to the "right" temperature, mine was doing the same with his CDI, his was running great with mine...

Tomorrow I will test the pulse generator and the spark plugs...
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #12479
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Tserts - just want to throw something in here as well if you have your buddy with his 'running' Africa Twin - swap over your coils with him just to clarify they're not causing the issue.
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #12480
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8 View Post
Tserts - just want to throw something in here as well if you have your buddy with his 'running' Africa Twin - swap over your coils with him just to clarify they're not causing the issue.
A bit too late for that, I put his bike back together and sent him on his way a couple of hours ago (not before I fixed his rear right foot-peg which was going all the way down when extended). Furthermore, taking out the coils requires a lot of striping, he would have to leave me his bike spend the night with me and he's not into "swinging"... Luckily, the pages Abilio posted have the correct voltage readings for the coils so tomorrow the tank comes off and I will have a look at them as well. Thanks for the input.

I will have to work around into making a fuel supply patent as I will need to have her running with the tank off until she builds up temp.