Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #12706
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 628
Dead sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Case View Post
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #12707
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYMACNIC View Post
No noticeable wear sounds good Africa Twin,are they more difficult to fit than TKC's or Escapes?
I recall the rear is hard... took two attemps (full inflated, full deflated and full back again) for it to seat properly...

By the way, also as I recall it, the rear is Tubeless Type (TL) as Mitas does not make this size TT for the rear. Only difference according to the distributor is a very slight bump across the inner perimeter of the tire, where it contacts the rim. Maybe that's what made it harder to seat... That bump is what makes the tire bead grip onto TL rims.
According to them (yes, I asked), this type is OK to fit a tube into, as the tire is exactly the same, bar that slight bump on the tire.

Mind you, for both the TKCs 80 I bought last year (and ended up not installing, after all - sold them to a guy with a GS800 ADV) and the Escapes I just wore out, the rear was also TL, as Continental does not make this size 140 for the AT in TT anymore... so it seems to be the norm also with other manufacturers.
Anyway, I had the Escapes for well over one a 1/2 years, 0 troubles with the rear (being a TL tube tire fitted with an inner tube).

Hope this helps :)

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 05:35 AM
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #12708
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
I've got a Heidenau scout on the rear of my bike. Similar to the Mitas.

The sidewall is STIFF...makes self mounting a real test of proper technique.

Wayne, can you get the Mitas in a 140/80-17 up your way. Maybe you could reship to the States if that would not be too expensive. I can find 130s and 150s here but no 140. I'm afraid the 150 would be too wide.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #12709
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
I recall the rear is hard... took two attemps (full inflated, full deflated and full back again) for it to seat properly...

By the way, also as I recall it, the rear is Tubeless Type (TL) as Mitas does not make this size TT for the rear. Only difference according to the distributor is a very slight bump across the inner perimeter of the tire, where it contacts the rim. Maybe that's what made it harder to seat... That bump is what makes the tire bead grip onto TL rims.
According to them (yes, I asked), this type is OK to fit a tube into, as the tire is exactly the same, bar that slight bump on the tire.

Mind you, for both the TKCs 80 I bought last year (and ended up not installing, after all - sold them to a guy with a GS800 ADV) and the Escapes I just wore out, the rear was also TL, as Continental does not make this size 140 for the AT in TT anymore... so it seems to be the norm also with other manufacturers.
Anyway, I had the Escapes for well over one a 1/2 years, 0 troubles with the rear (being a TL tube tire fitted with an inner tube).

Hope this helps :)
Thanks for the info,they don't sound too bad to fit so I'll probably give them a try next time,although I have been impressed by the mileage I've got from the Escapes,easily twice the mileage I was getting from TKC'S.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #12710
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I've got a Heidenau scout on the rear of my bike. Similar to the Mitas.

The sidewall is STIFF...makes self mounting a real test of proper technique.

Wayne, can you get the Mitas in a 140/80-17 up your way. Maybe you could reship to the States if that would not be too expensive. I can find 130s and 150s here but no 140. I'm afraid the 150 would be too wide.
Yes they carry the 140/80-17. Which do you prefer the E-07 or E-09. The front E-09 I've heard from one source can be a bit squirrly and some will use a more 50/50 of their choice in the front.
Prices are very reasonable. From website they ship to the US...maybe $35 or so to where you are. They ship free within Canada.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/

I'm actually going to make an order soon as they did not have stock on those 140/80-17 for most of the summer and now they appear to have stock. I don't know how much you would save if i shipped it to you direct..probably not much. I can certainly look into it Ray if you want. I get some shipping discounts.

Having said all that I heard from a rider I bumped into on the road that their is someone in Oregon distributing the Mitas tires in the US...thats all i know. Googling did not find anything. You could dig deeper on that rumour. Your right...the Mitas are similar to the Heidenau.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #12711
hawknup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
yank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
I installed this same tire front and back on my AT.

3.000 kms in roughly 2 months an no noticeable wear.

Haven't tried them yet on wet tarmac... but on dry pavement and on the light off-roads I've rode so far, they are brilliant. And that price tag...

Way to go, Mitas!
Are you an ex/pat? You sound like a yank! I'm a Yooper and I'd love to own an AT!
Oops! Sorry I'm addressing the wrong "quote".
hawknup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #12712
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
I'll try to hunt down some on this side of the 48th.

I'll only take advantage of you if I really must but thanks for the offer.

I like the Heidenau but the disadvantage I see with is is that is squares off significantly over time.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #12713
twinie
traveler

Oddometer: 162
Next project, next adventure... DAKAR!

...for more oficial information you can visit:

http://www.go.dakardesertchallenge.com/

"The Dakar Desert Challenge is an trans-Saharan adventure linking two continents: Europe and Africa... and crosses seven countries: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia and Senegal... Dakar is the ultimate destination!

This is an expedition that aims to recreate the great moments of escape and adventure of the legendary "Paris-Dakar" with participation costs very low and with the possibility of participation of various types of motor vehicles: 4x2, 4x4 and motorbikes. A good dose of courage, spirit of adventure, ability and willingness to help are indispensable ingredients to undertake the fantastic route defined for this incredible journey."
Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #12714
twinie
traveler

Oddometer: 162
Also, you might as well take a look at our site, and browse around our reports, photos, and videos!

http://www.emazimute.com/

After more then 10k of visitors to our blog, and also a channel on youtube in wich one of the videos has more then 30k of visualizations, it seemed a necessity to have a fresher face with a website!

Just 5 guys in love with their Africa Twins!

Cheers!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #12715
jestragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinie View Post
Also, you might as well take a look at our site, and browse around our reports, photos, and videos!

http://www.emazimute.com/

After more then 10k of visitors to our blog, and also a channel on youtube in wich one of the videos has more then 30k of visualizations, it seemed a necessity to have a fresher face with a website!

Just 5 guys in love with their Africa Twins!

Cheers!
I live in G-Bissau, but off your route (to the southeast of Bafata)!
jestragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #12716
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawknup View Post
Are you an ex/pat? You sound like a yank! I'm a Yooper and I'd love to own an AT!
Oops! Sorry I'm addressing the wrong "quote".
Lusitano all the way here, my friend.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #12717
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Im potentially looking at acquiring at AT in France. Since I'm in the states I was hoping to get some input from you Europeans. The bike is in Figeac, FR and I'd need to get it up to Belgium somehow for storage until I can get over there next summer.

I wouldn't mind collecting it in Figeac if the guy is willing to store it for me until next year but I'm not counting on that. Belgium is the only place I know I can securely store it (family, friends).

Anyone dealt with this before? How'd you do it?

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #12718
Luke M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Case View Post
This bike looks awesome. Makes me want to find one.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #12719
Atwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Im potentially looking at acquiring at AT in France. Since I'm in the states I was hoping to get some input from you Europeans. The bike is in Figeac, FR and I'd need to get it up to Belgium somehow for storage until I can get over there next summer.

I wouldn't mind collecting it in Figeac if the guy is willing to store it for me until next year but I'm not counting on that. Belgium is the only place I know I can securely store it (family, friends).

Hi,

As I see it, you got 2 options.

1: either get someone you trust, to ride the bike from FRance to BElgium

2: get it shiped from FR to BE via some european forwarder ( ILN - International Logistics Network, DHL, Schenker...) but in this case you would have to ask the seller or who ever you get the bike from, to paletise or In-box your bike. Easy handling and better protection.

From my experience, this can cost from 180 up to 400 eur... Depending on what you can find. I happen to work in logistics

How are you planning to arrange ownership docs?
Atwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #12720
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post

Quelle problème. Tu veus que je demande a ma soeur?