User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Two Shot Mut OP
Young Fart

Oddometer: 126
16 Tooth Front sprocket

Gooday all, Can anybody advise me of the advantages of having a 16 tooth front sprocket, considering that most of my travelling is on sealed roads (80%) - Does it also have much effect on fuel enconomy (not that this is an issue).
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Bok Befok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Mine didnt had a big effect in fuel drop, not that i noticed.
Bok Befok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,137
My fuel use dropped from mid-40's to low 40's.

It is a little buzzier at fast interstate cruise (75-80 mph) but its feels much more 'naturally' geared everywhere else, so I have never been tempted to change back.

Of course, as soon as you get into slow stuff or on loose ground, you are thankful for the improved throttle response.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,065
My fuel economy dropped noticeably from between the 17 and the 16. With the 17 I was able to do as high as 50 mpg on 2 lane highways and smooth dirt roads with light to medium throttle. Now I do about 45 mpg under the same conditions with the 16T sprocket. The difference is that the engine seems much better aligned with its torque capabilities and the bike feels a lot better.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
countersteer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93

The 950 was designed for a 16. When/if you pull the 17 off you will see how it barely fits, and I mean barely. Unless you are doing straight run along an airstrip (cue Top Gun theme) for pure speed, you will feel the bike is geared properly now, torque-wise, with a 16. That and a G2 throttle and she is a well rounded machine.
countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Gas mileage with the 17 front spocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
My fuel economy dropped noticeably from between the 17 and the 16. With the 17 I was able to do as high as 50 mpg on 2 lane highways and smooth dirt roads with light to medium throttle. Now I do about 45 mpg under the same conditions with the 16T sprocket. The difference is that the engine seems much better aligned with its torque capabilities and the bike feels a lot better.

Seth,

what is your carb setup?
The best i have achieved was 42 mpg., being a long distance rider and being so fond of the 950 that I'll never consider switching to BMW F800GS (a damn sober machine), I am hell bent on ameliorating my mileage.
Do you think an airbox like the Motohooligan's might adapt and help better the mileage?

Thx

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Two Shot Mut OP
Young Fart

Oddometer: 126
16 Tooth to be Installed

Many thanks for the information. I am having a 7,500km service this week so I just called and ordered a 16 tooth sprocket while they were doing the service. I mostly only sit on 110kph, so a slight drop in consumption sounds like a small price to pay for an increase in ride ability. I already have installed the G2 400 throttle cam so I guess the two will go hand in hand Again many thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,071
Dropping one tooth up front made the bike come alive for me. One of the best mods I have made.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 462
4k at 70mph

Here's a data point:

Stock 2005 Suzuki 650 V-Strom in 6th gear at 70 miles per hour: 5000 RPM.

Stock 2006 KTM 950 Adv-S (17T front spocket) in 6th at 70 mph: 4000 RPM.

4000 RPM feels like the bottom end of the power band. Even though it has a bigger engine, the stock Adv is geared too high *unless* you're always on pavement and want max economy. Reduction to 16T means 6% gear reduction, or 4300 RPM at 70 mph -- a good compromise.

More importantly to me, the 16T gives way more control at low speeds in the tight and twisties. Plus, I think the gap from 1st to 2nd is kinda wide, so the 16T makes it so I can stay in 2nd gear around most corners.

Finally, I read somewhere on AdvRider that KTM initially designed the 950 Adv with a 16T but switched to 17T to pass emissions testing.

Project management is like dirtbiking. You have to always visualize getting past the obstacle. If you look straight at the big rock, you'll hit it.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
Ainsley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Ive done it - would not go back to the 17. Any change in economy is too small to worry about. The change in slow speed manoverability when riding round town / parking / hairpins etc is much better.

If I was going to ride off road more Id want to fit a larger rear as well, but for mainly road riding its now perfect with the 16.

Its easy to swop yourself, so keep the original 17 and see for yourself. If you really hate the 16 you can sell it.
Bultaco 205
Hysucat 2x175's
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Like one guy said, the tranny gearing is designed for the 16. The factories use the larger front cogs so that in the drive by sound test, they can reach the required speed at lower rpm's and hence lower noise levels.

All of the Aprilia bikes are the same way, most bikes for that matter can always stand a 1 tooth drop in the front over what is supplied by the factories.

I get a solid 40mpg running around on my SE with 16/43 and the 17's, and this is using the throttle and having fun. If I were to moderate and cruise more, it goes up ~2mpg tops.
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shot Mut
Gooday all, Can anybody advise me of the advantages of having a 16 tooth front sprocket, considering that most of my travelling is on sealed roads (80%) - Does it also have much effect on fuel enconomy (not that this is an issue).
+1 on the improved rideability. If your bike is carb'd a Head2Wind jet/prefilter kit will bring back most of the mpg you lose with the 16. Will also make the low-end even better. The technical term for the 950 with 16t/H2W setup is "sweet" :-).
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
riderbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
In my view it is better off-road. Certainly steep descents are more manageable. Unless you do 90 mph everywhere (and occasionally I do) the fuel economy is not too badly affected.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Seth,

what is your carb setup?
The best i have achieved was 42 mpg., being a long distance rider and being so fond of the 950 that I'll never consider switching to BMW F800GS (a damn sober machine), I am hell bent on ameliorating my mileage.
Do you think an airbox like the Motohooligan's might adapt and help better the mileage?

Thx
Carbs are stock with needles raised one clip. When I was running the 17T sprocket I had all the canister stuff and SAS system in place. I have seen 47 mpg with the 16T sprocket and scorpion tires...but I figure there is about a 5% speedo error..on speed at least...if it correlates to distance then I'm around a high of 47 mpg....I will be puttin the Zumo on that bike soon and then I can start testing to see how close the speedometer is and figure out if those numbers are true or not.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 533
Stock 16

Evidently KTM agrees with all the 16 tooth users as 16/42 is the new stock sprocket ratio on the Adventures.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote