User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

Oddometer: 29
Winter Ride in Tillamook OHV

The bikes have sat in the garage long enough... they hadn't seen the dirt since Baja in November. After post Baja valve adjustments and other routing
maintenance it was time to hit the woods rain or not.

We pack the trailer, the weatherman says there will only be a chance of slight rain but this picture clearly proves the Portland area meteorologist have
no idea what they are talking about.

We ride all day trying to explore the Trask River riding area only to follow are planned GPS route and run into pavement. Unlike the east side of the state
when you hit the pavement on the west and your bike is not a DS you stay off it for fear of a hefty ticket.

We do find a few trails but we are cold and wet and I don't even pull out the camera for fear of ruining it in the torrential down pour. We ride 45 miles and
here is the second picture. It looks alot like the first picture.

We decide set the date for the 2nd attempt at exploring the Trask area for the following week. However we also decide to be our own Meteorologist and
us the Doppler radar to help decide the date. We decide on Saturday 1/23/10.

The weather is better and we hit the trail. Here is the view from the top of Rogers trail out of Jordan Creek.

Don at the same spot.

Me (Dale)

We decide to take the gravel road from here over to the Trask area to save on time, fuel and to try and beat the impending storm that is looming off the
coast line. Anyhow that is what Meteorologist Dale saw on radar before leaving this morning. We head over the mountain and start down into the Trask
area and I remember a single track that we rode a small section of the week before. We decide to see where it will take us. Starts out easy and fun just like we
remembered. Then is starts getting slippery and steep, a little steeper and steeper... then come the switchbacks that you can not make on the motorcycle.
Complete the 3-point turn to get through the switchback and up the steep hill. Here is a picture of Don trying to navigate the 1st switchback.

This picture gives a little better perspective of the elevation changes between the switchbacks. I think this is where Don was hollering up at me asking if
I was able to ride over that big root in the trail right after the switchback. My answer was yes but you better get some momentum up... this was hard to do in
the steep slick terrain.

Here is my Bike resting against a Tree after the toughest portion of this trail. Of course it is me resting off tot he side with my helmet off and taking
pictures of Don in this section.

After we cool down and can walk to the edge to take a picture we decide the ride was worth the view. This is looking back toward our starting location, Jordan Creek.

This is the single track coming down the backside. There were few steep loose rock downhill sections but mostly through the trees like these pictures.

We end up taking a lot of single track almost all the way down to the Trask River. We cross Hembre Creek right where is dumps in to the Trask.

We never reach our goal of finding the Hollywood staging area but after talking to a few other riders we determine we are getting closer each time. It is 11:30
and we decide to find some trails headed back toward the pickup. We find this nice 2-track coming up from the river. It is a couple miles of really nice riding.
Here is Don catching a little Air.

Yet another nice 2-track that we found. We decided to name this one RUB due to all the bark being rubbed off the small Alder's.

We find a couple more single tracks along the ridge line and decide the day has been a success. We had finally discovered multiple trails on the Trask side of the
mountain and now we know how to string them together to make a nice day ride. It is decided that riding over to this side means packing our lunch in the future.
It is too far to come back for lunch.

Here is a video of me riding up Firefox trail on the way back. The funniest part of this vid. is Don falling off the stump at the end trying to film me as I pass.
Listen closely and you can hear him laughing at himself...

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Harp_63 screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 10:07 PM
Harp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Nice action in the woods! I like those bikes, thanks for posting
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
monrcar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Nice job

Seems nearly everyone doing a virgin post gets snagged with the browser timing out after you spent about 40 min figuring out how to post pics! Only to have to start over again.

Nice job! Looked really wet out.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
drmracni
Montenegro

Oddometer: 280
uh i am missing some of that off ride...
exelent!!!
drmracni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,043
Looks like fun! One of these days I'll be over to ride with you hooligans.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Laugh

[quote=Harp_63]Here is Don catching a little Air.

I think this photo was after I clicked my heels over my bars. I can't believe I was able to make that a double from the first jump in this photo.
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
hensons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Winter rides are so much fun!
hensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Great pictures, thanks for sharing

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
I will bring this:

...if you invite me to go ride with you!

Nice one guys.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Tight squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
I will bring this:

...if you invite me to go ride with you!

Nice one guys.
You're always welcome to join us anytime. Once we know for sure dates we will let you know. We tend to play it day to day on the wet side cause of the weather. We went out Sunday(yesterday). Had great weather and found some great trails. Rode about 60 hard technical miles.

Here is a photo of a recent slide where the trail gives you a few inches of room to squeeze by.

Here's Harp.
[IMG]
Another nice steep trail on the trask side. Lots of trails on this side are techincal. Traction was actually better than I would expect given all the recent rains.

Nice view of another death drop zone. You gotta watch your step over here
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
monrcar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Mud slide

Nothing like a fresh mud slide.....

Let's see if we figured out how to put up a video?

Dale at Jordon Creek from Nez Willow on Vimeo.

And i don't like heights you bastards

monrcar screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 01:51 PM
monrcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

Wicked Get your butt over here and let's go riding

Brad, We will gladly invite you over to ride that nice clean new bike, don't plan on it ever being that shinny again though. You will also have to pack a little gas as that tank doesn't look like the Valdez that you usually run. We are planning a ride this Friday to explore a little more of that area, I know that is short notice.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Oh it's not that clean anymore. And it desperately needs suspension help. Will probably have the forks off tomorrow. The pig still looks like this:

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 527
nice ride looks like fun!
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

3rd day of exploring the Trask area

Don and I decide to head to the mountain on Sunday for one more day of exploring the Trask area. I had been watching my son for 2 days at a wrestling tournament and I thought what could be better for my 2 day bleacher butt than to ride some challenging trails on a Yamaha seat that all Yamaha owners know is slightly softer than a 2x4. Whatever the reason for choosing Sunday it was the right day to go.

I stay up past midnight trying to figure out how to download detailed mapping information on my new GPS. It took some time but was well worth it.

We hit the trail early which lead to views like this motoring over Jordan Creek.

On the top of Jordan Creek we hit a fun little hill climb, the trail goes up through open area between the trees.

Us coming down trail to Trask River.

We finally get into some new trails once we cross the river. We are now looking for a way to a small store that we have no idea where it is or a big hill climb called Big Burtha that was also have no idea of its location.

We ride along a great combination of 2-track and single track that bounces on and off a road with way more off the road trails than actual gravel road. We finally drop off an old log landing down a single track to only find a new road with great trails off of it also. The trails are a good mix of challenging single track to nice cruising 2-track. The traction was good even though it had been raining for 2 days straight prior to Sunday.

We were smart enough to pack our lunches this time and we had ridden 30 miles out when we decided to eat lunch at this location. We had yet to see another rider, we could hear some but never met any on the trail.

Don was wearing his gang colors. I forget the gang he is affiliated with.

While we were having lunch we actually spotted 6 riders (2 groups of 3) on the trail below. None of them were riding team blue so we weren't sure they
would make it back...

We decide we still have the gas and light to continue on so we continue the trek south. The trail has a couple of drop-offs that we know one of our riding buddies doesn't like so we take a couple of pictures along with a video that he posted earlier in the report. Pictures don't do it justice.

We finally get to this open clearing that appears to be headed into a big hill climb... could it be Big Burtha? I head up the fist part which is not conducive for getting momentum due to the large loose rock at the bottom. I continue up and it begins to get much steeper and I have obviously picked the wrong line. The Maxxis Dessert IT is not a bunch of help on this terrain but what the tire can't do I figure power can fix. Crack the throttle of the 450 just before the rock face and try to cut across the path to improve the line. Needless to say power did not fix the problem. Bike bounces across the rut only to loose traction, then gain traction, front end up now, finally the brain kicks in saying SCREW this... I am well on my way to 50 years old, I am 40 miles out and the sun is headed down, I don't need to tear the bike up or myself. We found Big Burtha, no reason to try and climb her today. Sorry no pictures of this.

We find an easy trail around Burtha only to find a nasty down-hill off the backside. We are at 40 miles and decide we should head back just in case we have a flat or something other issue that would put us back after dark... We did not want to get MUNNED...

See this ride report for definition of MUNNED: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=humunn

Having GPS made the ride back a breeze, just follow the little dots. A few pictures of the ride back.

Trask River

Another drop off. This one was a little spooky for me to look over. Especially after I figured out the entire hillside that I was standing on was eroded away under my location.

We make it back with plenty of light but we are both exhausted from the ride. Time for a beer in the new trailer.

Not a drop of rain all day, it was another great day of riding. See you on the trail..............

Harp_63 screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 08:52 PM