Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #46
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
The short-cut dumped us back out on the coastal dirt road (which is also a regular portion of the baja course, but gets graded after the race so was fairly smooth).

The road had many great turns and coastal views.

Not a corner you'd wanna over-cook at 120mph during the race!

Andrew tearing across some dirt roads

Sis following

By this time it was getting a bit late in the day and we were still a long way from Tecate where we planned to cross the boarder to re-enter CA. I didn't take many more pictures.

Andrew gave us two options. We could take roads back (some paved, some not), or we could try to find the Baja route from 2 years ago which happily went where we needed to go and was bound to include some great riding. The latter would mean we'd almost certainly arrive in the dark and might even still be on the Baja course in the dark. Now the XR I was riding didn't have a light at all, the other two had very dim lights that when they were new packed a whopping 35W.

Naturally we opted for the race-course routeevious

(note, this isn't actually where we got on the course -this portion was closed, but there wasn't a sign where we got on:laugh)

Sure enough, Andrew was able to find the race course and we were off. I was happy to find that most of it had not been maintained since the race and was complete with deep whoops and big berms. The three of us were making great time, but not quite going at race pace. Andrew offered to let me lead for a bit so I could enjoy some dust free riding at whatever pace I wanted (as long as it was at least as fast as we'd been going:lol:). I happily obliged. I was finally coming to terms with the XR and getting my desert legs under me. I wicked up the speed and shortly found myself entering whoops on the rev limiter in 4th (the tall-geared XR4 couldn't quite be trusted to pull 5th in deep sand whoops I found, though I made plenty of use of 5th when the sand was less deep) and occasionally snicking it up into 5th. Non-whooped sections were all 5th gear affairs and I blasted out of the berm with all the ferocity that could be coaxed out of the XR. I was happily surprised how composed the XR remained and how comfortable I'd gotten at speed. I was soon riding by myself, just tearing across the desert in the middle of nowhere as the sun began to set - it doesn't get any better than this!

After a while Andrew took the lead again as there would be some navigation required. We still maintained quite a respectable pace. As I was tearing down one straight just at the tail end of Andrew's dust cloud, I noticed his cloud stopping abruptly. I slowed as well only to find that emerging from the dust cloud was a large military truck, so packed with assault-rifle toting Mexican soldiers as to be downright comical. Fortunately Andrew was able to stop before reaching them, but his very rapid approach and panic stop had them a bit unsettled - not unhappy, just caught a bit off guard. Andrew conversed for a few seconds, then they poked though his pack and mine (naturally sis got by scott-free), then waived us on.

I should mention, there were a few other military check-points (though no others out on the race course - most were on the dirt roads closer to towns) and they were all very nice, friendly and polite. Most apologized profusely for having to stop us and handed us hand-written papers in English explaining how the Mexican government has passed some new law requiring inspections for anti-drug purposes. I was really quite amazed how nice everyone was - I've certainly never experienced such pleasantries in any encounters with US Govt/military/law enforcement acting in their official capacity.

After finishing the planed portion of the race course, we had a short hop on a dirt road, followed by a short hop on the highway into Tecate. It was quite dark by the time we reached town so I rode between Andrew and Sis - worked out just fine. You just don't sweat the small stuff in Mexico

We had one more excellent taco meal before crossing back into CA

The border crossing, while much more rigorous than getting into Mexico was still a non-event.

The US does have some very impressive looking concrete structures, gates, flashy signs, lights, cameras, sensors and other unidentifiable devices. Also curious was the fact that the US signs that instructed vehicles when to proceed and when to stop were in disagreement with each other.

Fortunately Andrew had provided some instruction and told us to wait at a certain spot until the US dude waived for us to continue, then we'd go it one at a time.

Andrew went first, followed by Sis and I was last in line.

After stopping for a short while (for no obvious reason), Andrew was waived on, he presented his passport, said a few words and was off.

Another sort wait, and then same story for sis.

As you might guess, another short wait and same story for me. The US border guy while much more formal than any of the Mexicans was easily the nicest US border person (or CA state border person :lol:) I've ever dealt with. He asked for my passport, asked where I'd been, gave the passport back and waived me on. The amazing thing I noted immediately was that it was much easier to enter California from Mexico at night on a beat up dirt bike with no lights (this was on a major highway btw) than it was to enter California from Nevada in the middle of the day on a very tidy, respectable and 100% legal Bandit 1250.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #47
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in San Diego I went about selling the Bandit - sad to see it go, but happy the trip worked out and I could still pay tuition after it all:lol:

I did some more MTB'ing, did some hiking and spent a lot of time in the ocean.

This fellow must have got his tag a looooong time ago.

For those in the know, we surfed OB, PB, North County and Dog Beach - ironically, the latter had the best waves. I think these pics are from PB.

At one point, the waves were a bit lame so I paddled a little past the breakers and broke out the camera. Not much sooner than I'd done this and a huge wave loomed. I didn't have time to put the camera back, but no worries, I was plenty past where the waves were breaking....

Well not so much - this one was large enough to break much further out - right where I was precariously perched on the little, tether-less pinner board with a camera in hand. With no time to stow the camera, I held it tightly in one hand and wrapped an arm around the board and waited. I hopped to float up and over as the wave started to curl, but was not so luck. I pitched up, teetered a bit then topped backwards into the the wave. It pushed me to the oceans floor, passed over me and spit me out the back side and amazingly I didn't loose the board. Really quite a good ride.

The End

Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #48
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Talking

Great ride report!!
Get your sister some more protective riding gear.

Corky
AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #49
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

She's got all the gear - just stubborn (she's already won a women's AMA harescramble championship...)

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #50
alculbreth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks!

I was very sad that I missed Airventure this year so thanks for the pictures and ride report!
alculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #51
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry you couldn't make it to OSH - hopefully next year!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #52
foobert
Hands-free adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Great report! Yup -- we really did take some of the same routes on our Oshkosh trips. I'm slowly getting my RR done ... all in good time. Thanks for sharing yours with us!
foobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #53
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for your report

Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #54
fullthrottle189
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What's up? It was good meeting you and enjoyed the conversation. Glad you made it home safe. Anytime you come this way your are welcome at our home. That's a sweet trip you took and thumbs up on the pics. Take it easy and hope to see you on the road in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
After the Pass, I made my way to the town with the Cyclegear and various M/C dealerships. I stopped at the first dealership I saw, a Ducati place. They didn't carry any sport-touring stuff and gave me a weird look when I asked. I figured that since they sell multistrada's and stuff it might be otherwise, but no such luck. They did have a bunch of cool streetfighters on the showroom floor though.

I motored on. The next shop I stopped at was a combo yamaha/harly shop. I figured yamaha with their FJR's and stuff surely must have sport touring tires, but no such luck. The HD shop had already locked their doors, 15 minutes before their stated closing time.

I pressed on (cyclegear was open longer than the dealers so that was the backup option).

I spotted a Triumph/BMW dealership and swing in there. Before I got though the door, a guy named Dirk greeted me, he seemed a cool fellow so I told him of my tire-plight. Three good signs right from the start - he knew what a "Road 2" was, he knew what 180/55 meant, he let me in even though it was closing time.

They even had the Road 2 in stock. It was a bit pricey, but magically ended up $15 less when he rang it up - I think he helped me out a bit. Still more $$ than mail order, but down to the semi-acceptable range.

Then Dirk, who was full of witty, snarky comments (which I loved) insisted on helping me load the tire on my bike.

He wasn't impressed with my meger assortment of bungy cords and said I needed straps and disapeard. He came back with several nice looking white straps and said I could have them, very cool!

We strapped the tire atop my other luggage and I was off to the biker's son's house to get it fitted.

I buzzed down the freeway, split lanes when traffic slowed and arrived looking like this.

My tire definitely was in need of replacement!

The biker's son was himself quite a rider. He was super enthusiastic about all types of riding and had a tricked out GSXR in his garage. We talked bikes for a long time and he mounted my tire. Eventually I left feeling like we were old friends. I told him about advrider, hopefully he'll post up

Here I am in his shop and ready to go.

TLZ'er supernatural had very kindly offered a place to stay for the night, i accepted and made my way to his house.

He's got a cool TL that was in the process of being put together when I was there and quite a nice place!

MOTO-STOP 2096880909

fullthrottle189 screwed with this post 09-23-2009 at 06:19 PM
fullthrottle189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #55
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool!

thanks for posting up and THANKS for changing my tire

How's the GSXR coming?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #56
fullthrottle189
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Your Welcome, Glad it all worked out for you.

MOTO-STOP 2096880909
fullthrottle189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #57
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

It worked out great! I even managed to gumball up the sides of the tire (just a tiny bit, but hey its a start) chasing a pair of sport bikes back and forth over Ortega

Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #58
950katoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The park was actually fairly small and not all that different from the free canyon roads in the surrounding area,
The first time I've ever heard of Canyonlands park being called small! At 527 square miles in size, it is the largest national park that we have here in Utah.

Really enjoying the RR. It is making me think hard about doing a fly-n-ride next summer so I can spend some time riding in places that I'd like to ride, but maybe don't have the time or inclination to ride through some less desireable places to get to the good stuff.
950katoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #59
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

It did look very large on the map, but the portion legally accessible by motorcycle was very small, about 20 minutes worth of riding. Perhaps there's more that I didn't find, though the ranger (also a rider) said that what I rode was it for the park

The fly-n-ride worked well for me. Of course I didn't have a lot of other options as I didn't have a suitable motorcycle ready to ride so I had to purchase and took advantage of depressed mid-western prices and the opportunity to skip as much eastern riding as possible.

BikePilot screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 02:26 PM
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #60
TylerDurden
moto-slave

Oddometer: 38
Fantastic ride, great riding, great photos! I thoroughly enjoyed the read and now have a few more pins on the map for the future. Thanks!
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote