Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Differentiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
So Honda abandoned the midsize scooter market when they ditched the Elite 80 and 150, and now they're coming back with a dearth of scooters in a very comparable size range - 110, 125, 150? Pendulum swung the other way, I see.

Seems weird to have 3 scoots of comparable displacement like this. I wonder how they'll end up being differentiated featuerwise.
From http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24970

2010 Honda PCX 125 - ~ 100 mpg with FI and a catalytic converter... And destined for our shores next year. Minus Start/Stop however.

Honda has begun production and will offer its all-new scooter, the PCX, in Thailand beginning this November. Thai Honda Manufacturing, a Honda subsidiary that manufactures motorcycles, power products, and components in Thailand, will serve as the global manufacturer for the PCX and is planning to begin exports in early 2010.

With the global market in mind, the PCX was designed to provide both an ease-of-use customers expect from a scooter and innovative styling. In addition, the basic design such as the frame and engine are common for each market to achieve a significant increase in production efficiency.

The PCX is unique in that it is equipped with a newly developed low-friction, water-cooled, 4-stroke, 125 cc single-cylinder engine. It achieves a fuel economy rating of ~ 117 mpgUS (a European Motorcycle specific test cycle). Part of this capability comes from its “idling stop system,” which automatically stops the engine when the motorcycle comes to a temporary stop (except for the U.S. model.) The PCX conforms with current exhaust emission standards in Japan, Europe and the U.S. thanks to Honda’s electronic fuel injection system (PGM-FI) and a catalytic converter installed in the muffler.

The PCX will be the world’s first 125 cc model which will be equipped with the ACG starter which combines a cell motor and alternating current generator and helps achieve the compact engine size with a significant reduction of starter noise.

All PCX models will be equipped with the CBS (Combined Brake System for the front and rear wheels) which helps achieve stable braking performance.

With the PCX, Honda will strive to create a new market in ASEAN countries and plans to introduce the scooter to Japan, Europe and the US as an affordable small-size commuter with an excellent balance of various features including environmental performance, user comfort and quality.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Crow
Corvid

More

From http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article....r-the-Powerful

The Honda PCX 125i Scooter, the Powerful Little Giant

Tuesday, October 06 2009 @ 08:48 PM ICT

Contributed by: news
Motorcycle ReviewsThe Honda PCX 125i is pretty close to the best two-wheeler Honda has ever made. The price is not exactly known, but some people with knowledge are saying it would not be much more then the Honda AirBlade-i, for that you get a nippy low emission 125cc state-of-the-art 4-stroke engine with the latest on electronic fuel-injection, which means little running costs and a very convenient transport package, the Honda PCX under-seat storage is relatively large, its larger wheel and the front brake, and with the Combined Brake System, brakes are remarkable stronger and better than on anything Honda had on offer in Thailand.

As with a lot of Honda's, the Honda PCX is fitted with a key slot cover for better protection against theft. The overall look of the Honda PCX scooter has a smartened up look as well, it has more the looks of one of the larger Honda scooters.

The Honda PCX is also the first Honda scooter which is equipped with Honda's new CV-Matic, which is a reliable V-belt transmission design, which offers a complete shiftless convenience transmission without losing unnecessary energy by doing so. The Honda PCX is complemented by a electric starter, which due to the latest re-designed PGM-FI (fuel-injection) systems will start the Honda PCX 125i under all weather, humidity and temperatures, although there is a kick starter, just in case you forget to turn of the light I guess...

The kick starter on the Honda PCX 125i can be really useful because you can't bump-start an automatic. The Honda PCX 125i seat is big and especially long enough to carry a rider and pillion in more then reasonable comfort, which is not always so on scooters in the same class.

It's a shame we cannot inform you about the Honda PCX colors, Honda only showed us a white with light brown patches, but knowing Honda they have there ears open and probably doing research right now.

I do like the Honda PCX 125i, forget the skeptic tone you hear from me before. In fact, we're chosen it to prepare a cost comparison that will pit it against most scooters available on the Thai market to see how commuting costs, convenience and ecological impact compare. Obviously the Honda PCX 125i will win, but be prepared for a shock when you see by just how much it wins!

The Honda PCX 125i is Honda's answer to green, ecological and save-the-world, it is so efficient with fuel that you may forget on which fuel it can run. For this Honda has printed clear labels near the fuel intake... Just in case, you seriously forget.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #18
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
WHY CANT WE GET THE &*^@$^@$ HONDA CUB!!!!!!!!!!!! You can still get those things elsewhere, but NO, us Americans cant get a brand new one. Im getting sick of "transformer" scoots being imported here.

If Honda would bring the cub (or import the postie bike "trail 90") here, id buy it in a heartbeat.

Rant off...

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #19
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickv4
WHY CANT WE GET THE &*^@$^@$ HONDA CUB!!!!!!!!!!!! You can still get those things elsewhere, but NO, us Americans cant get a brand new one. Im getting sick of "transformer" scoots being imported here.

If Honda would bring the cub (or import the postie bike "trail 90") here, id buy it in a heartbeat.

Rant off...
Just go buy a new SYM Symba or an '82 Passport and get your nostalgia kick over with. Or just get a new Honda Ruckus if you want new and Honda.

Also, in a lot of "elsewhere" the riders have moved onto things like the Honda Wave or Honda Biz, which are "transformer" looking updates of the Cub underbone.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #20
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
and honda still has a gaping hole between the 150 and the 600 Swing in the US.

they've been selling a 400 Swing in eurupe for years. why not here?
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Crow
Corvid

Starting to show.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #22
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
To quote another inmate here, there aren't enough e's in sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet for that scoot. Honda designers really have it down.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Crow
Corvid

Woohoo!

It's coming! From http://scootinoldskool.wordpress.com...rld/#more-3993

Honda’s new PCX 125 plays in the scooter mainstream, worldwide (Honda photo)

You may have seen this scooter elsewhere, but Honda’s intro of its PCX 125 at EICMA is a coming out of sorts. The PCX 125, which is made in Thailand and will arrive in the U.S. sometime in 2010, advances the state of the scooter art with liquid cooling and electronic fuel injection, jumping right into the thick of the world’s biggest scooter market segment.

The 125cc segment in the U.S. is a surprisingly large one, with entries from Yamaha (Vino 125 (discontinued in MY ‘09), Zuma 125) and Genuine (Buddy 125). While Honda has not announced U.S. pricing for the PCX, its competitors fall into the $3,000-$3,500 range.

Honda’s large, well-established U.S. dealer network will be a major selling point for the PCX 125 and all of its scooters. Or it should be, anyway.

More significant should be the fact that large numbers of state-o’-the-art 125cc scooters would result in far less greenhouse gas emission than the fossil-fuel generated electricity required to recharge the batteries of large numbers of marginally useful electric scooters…
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
Crow
Corvid

Check this out.

http://www.jrmotor.com/pcx125i.html
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
I like the looks of the new 110 elite

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

The pics don't do it justice. You should go see one in person. The details really set it apart, I can't wait til I see one of those baby's on CL!!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Put 200-250cc's into that thing,
and I'd prefer it over the Zuma 250 dream I just posted about.....

It looks like a scooter, with a little bit-o-modern thrown in; I really like the thing!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #27
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
very cool. it would have been better at 149cc's. the extra 25cc does really help when on long straights.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
The new PCX is nice but it will be pricey. In Thailand PCX price converts to ~$2,100 USD which is more than double the price of Honda's 110cc fuel injected entry scooter.
http://rahayumotor.files.wordpress.c...e-110-i-01.jpg

I would expect pricing here in the US to be $4,000-$4,500 USD for the PCX, almost the same as SH150i.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #29
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy
....The SH300 looks like a good option ...
+1 - This looks like a nice little scooter, but it doesn't have specs fit for more then a very brief hop on the super slab, which I fear is a necessity where I am.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Crow
Corvid

Another clip.