Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #121
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Definitely! I remember many years ago when my main bike was a 49 cc motorized bicycle, BAD memories! It WOULD do 36 MPH, but that was IT!

It didn't have ANY transmission, only a clutch! It was SLOW! It was a boat off the line, and never had any power. It would struggle up any hill. It had about the same performance as a Ruckus, only slower off the line.

I will tell you, around here it was miserable. I try and enjoy a nice sunday cruise down some backroads, and every few seconds a huge SUV goes whizzing past me at 60+ MPH, while I was almost redlining at 30 MPG. It got REALLY annoying after about a week. I couldn't comfortably ride ANYWHERE except the bike lane.

The good was it required no license of any kind, no registration, and no insurance/plate. It also got an incredible 150-200 MPG. But thats where the good ends! So I gave up on riding it. I would be okay zipping to the store on it staying in the bike lane, but even then I've had a cop cut right in front of me to turn right into a neighborhood!

BUT this bike may work just fine in some towns. Or ESPECIALLY in a big city such as San francisco, so long as you don't plan on crossing the bridge or anything. It is a decent way to get around.

I do remember right before I gave up on riding it, I modded the hell out of it. I put on a straight pipe, no airfilter [actually NEVER came with one as I discovered right when I was about to mod it!], drill out the jet hole [strangely had a lawnmower carb and no other sizes were available], a larger 1 gallon tank, and a smaller rear sprocket. At first I put way to small of a sprocket, and the motor had no power to pull it. So then I figured out the right size. With all of this work, it would just barley pass 40-43 MPH, and that was redlining in a full tuck, and it would take a LONG time to get there. Then going into strong winds your lucky to see 25 MPH!

So yes, while a slow slow bike may not work for me, it will work for some! I personally feel 110 cc is the minimum comfortable street size.
I personally would never consider anything under around 125cc but I recently talked to someone who started on a 50cc scooter to do a few mile commute on roads with low speed limits. He said 50cc was plenty for that. Of course, he eventually moved on to bigger faster bikes.

Have you read "Sydney to London on a Moped Called Dot"? The author rode quite a ways on a Honda CT110 which on its best days could only do around 80KPH and by the end of the trip struggled to do 50.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #122
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Memo to flatboarder:

Do you have your oil consumption issues resolved?

Per previous post?

thank you

You have been a fountain of PCX knowledge
I am happy if my information is of some use for you.
At the moment it looks like oil consumption stopped completely at approx. 1060 miles (I did an intermediate oil change for testing purpose at 1700km). Lets see when it gets warmer again. At present I have got 3500km, which means: no oil refill from 1700-3500km and still perfect fill level.

Topspeed discussion: I already stated, I am using the PCX for riding 62km x 2 every day, should be around 80miles a day or so. Most of this is full throttle (or limiter) riding and some considerable part of it is full speed riding.
In case the PCX would appear as like it could not handle this, I would put it on sale, since this is my main use case.
But it definitely can, perfectly. No noise, no chassis/suspension issues (suspension is too soft but there are no bad issues with it) and steering is precise, neutral and easy up to topspeed. In fact, it rides well at topspeed over longer distances and it could handle even more speed, I guess.
As already stated, cruising speed keeps between 80 and 90km/h, lets say 50-55mph.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #123
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Since before Christmas, I have been in the market for a scooter. Not to replace my other bikes just an addition. My search narrowed to two. This PCX thing and a Sachs MadAss.

After lurking on The MadAss Army forum and reading about the same quality issues from many posters, I decided on the PCX. A dealer 24miles from me quoted $3399 "best I can do pal". Another dealer 60 miles from said $2999. "Mid-winter special". Twas a no-brainer. Borrowed a truck and away I went,,,,

Two wheeled transportation devices sure look sad in the back of a truck, no?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #124
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Since there is three feet of snow on the ground and roads all ice, snow, and salt I am not going to be commuting on it any time soon. So off to the basement PCX went.

Had to plow a path thru what our last blizzard dumped on my lawn. I have just the tool to do that.

My son pitched in to help.

PCX is sleeping with three other bikes. She has some company. I hope they all get along down there.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #125
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
siyeh, have fun with it. Hope you will be enjoying riding as much as I do.
I got my second set of wheels the day before yesterday (ordered from a small shop in Thailand, which is considerable cheaper than getting it via local Honda dealers) which makes changing to winter tires a lot easier.

Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #126
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

I have put one mile on her. Took her up to 20 mph.

Had to wipe some road salt grime off of her.

So far so good. I think most of our snow will be gone in a month or so.

Good night PCX. See ya in a bit,,,
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #127
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
PCX is beautiful!

Howdy,

The PCX is the Halle Berry of scooters, Siyeh! I came close to getting a white PCX myself in December, but opted for a lightly used Sh150i for $4200 OTD.
I'll bet you'll find your MPG to be ridiculous. Don't be surprised to find a cute college girl sitting on the back when you emerge from the gas station! This happened to me twice in the 12 months I had my Daelim S2-125, and your bike is better looking!
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #128
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Well it was 26 degrees here this morning. But the roads were bare of salt and ice. And 6 - 10 inches of snow is in the forecast soon. So I thought I should get a quick ride into town on the PCX. Still breaking it in so only held in wide open throttle for about 30 seconds. I got 63 MPH on the speedo but the GPS showed 58. That pleased me because it sure felt like it had more to give.

Being able to hold 60 will give me a few choices on my commute. One route is 55 all the way and the other is 45 at first then 35. It handled very well on our frost heaved roads. I have only done two mods to it so far.

This thing seems like it will be a ton of fun when it warms up some more. I see GIVI makes a taller windscreen. More research and testing needs to be done since I only have 22 miles on it.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #129
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Thats a reasonable speed. So it probably tops out at 60-63 MPH actual? Thats not bad at all.

I sure love the looks of it too!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #130
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
So it probably tops out at 60-63 MPH actual?
I'm a thinking you're in the ballpark. I have read on some across the ocean interwebs peeps are hitting the limiter at 67/68mph. So on the GPS I would guess between 60-64 actual. Plenty fast enough for me in my intended purpose. The brakes are very good- not touchy- just good. Sure is weird not shifting this thing. I will have to get used to that.

I will report back again when the lil thing get's broke in and the temps warm up.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #131
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
The PCX looks like a nice Scooter, beware farkles on tire valve stems. I've seen "tire flys" or whatever they are called cause blowouts, twice.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #132
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm a thinking you're in the ballpark. I have read on some across the ocean interwebs peeps are hitting the limiter at 67/68mph. So on the GPS I would guess between 60-64 actual. Plenty fast enough for me in my intended purpose. The brakes are very good- not touchy- just good. Sure is weird not shifting this thing. I will have to get used to that.

I will report back again when the lil thing get's broke in and the temps warm up.

Yep, thats about right. This speed is just fine for almost all riding except interstate, but thats not the intension of this bike, nor is it legal in some states. But the strange thing is I hear the SH has a real accurate speedo, I wander why this isn't as dead on?

I'm interested to hear more about this bike!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #133
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
But the strange thing is I hear the SH has a real accurate speedo, I wander why this isn't as dead on?
Every metric bike I have ever owned has had an optimistic speedometer. I've just got used to it I guess. My Versys shows 62 on speedo, 55 on GPS. I have cured that by going to a 44 tooth rear sprocket-now it is dead on.

No PCX ride today. Our forecasted snow has changed to freezing rain. All ice up here.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #134
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Every metric bike I have ever owned has had an optimistic speedometer. I've just got used to it I guess. My Versys shows 62 on speedo, 55 on GPS. I have cured that by going to a 44 tooth rear sprocket-now it is dead on.

No PCX ride today. Our forecasted snow has changed to freezing rain. All ice up here.
Yep, my experience has pretty much been the same. But my Elite has the issue of reading 5 MPH under, I believe that the circuit board for the digital speedo is fried.

BTW, how does putting a different rear sprocket on your Versys make it rear more accurate? Wouldn't that just make it run at lower RPMs at 62 MPH with a higher top speed?

The only way I have found to correct inaccurate speedos it to use a little larger tires, it does make a difference. In fact, I've seen trucks with slightly larger off road tires go from being 2 MPH optimistic to 4 MPH over!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #135
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:

The only way I have found to correct inaccurate speedos it to use a little larger tires
There are other ways also, grasshopper. It must be black magic. Dozens of Versys owners have replaced the stock 46 tooth rear to a 44 tooth rear right from the dealer's showroom to make first gear more usable. What we found out, as an added bonus, it corrected speedo error.

This is how threads get off topic. I am done,,,