Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
KLR 650 doohickey adjustment bolt too long after install?

Hey I need some advice on what to do on my friends 87 klr 650. We just pulled the old broken doohickey out last night. He installed the new one from eagle mike today and we have ran into a problem. With the new thicker doohickey and the washer included that goes onto the adjuster bolt it moves the o-ring too far outward to seal on the outer case when all re-installed.

The red arrow points to the o-ring which will no longer seal up against the case when the bolt is tightened. With the combined extra thickness of the new doohickey and washer is has moved outwards at least 3 or 4 mm. Any idea's what to do? Thanks, Fred.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #2
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Doesn't look like the adjuster is right on to the shaft. Compare with this picture
Attached Images

Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
I agree... looks funny. it would have to be the inner cover that isn't right though. the flange on the doo lever rides on the inner cover & that sets the distance (lever position), and the lever looks like its in full contact with the cover. there were, however, some covers that had bad castings in the area where the doo rides. I fixed one long ago that was un-even by milling it flat. check that the inner cover is all the way on. if it is then you don't need the washer. mebby check with EM, but I don't think the washer is used on every model

also note the thrust washer 92026B... it should be behind the idler gear. that may be why the shaft isn't coming out all the way. that washer has a tendency to fall into the oil sump when the shaft is pulled out too far. shaft doesn't have to come all the way out, only just clear of the case & the washer is gone. it's easy to find though... it's in the big hole under the idler

Beezer screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:30 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote