Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #211
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Australian Dirt Bike Magazine have done a launch report. Small interview with the planning manager, Marco Romieri too. They point out a number of times it is basically a TE570 with a 100mm bore that has kept sensible service intervals and uses steel valves to longevity.
Also the standard pipes are very restrictive and putting Arrow pipes on releases another 6kw (8 bhp) on top of the standard 41kw (55 bhp).
I know there are starting to be people out there with the bike now but if anything people can compare their experiences.

Where will be the best place to upload a PDF to download or something?
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #212
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 535
Well, I don't know anyone with the 690. That was my other choice as well, but decided to try the Husky. Bought it to be my "between" bike. Have a dirt bike, and have a "road" bike in the 1200 GSA. Was having a hard time riding with friends on KLR's and KTM 950 with the 1200, they were taking me places I didn't want to go on the 1200. Now it's my turn.

It seems really restricted, but definitely more power than a KLR. Not enough roll on power to lift the front wheel in 2nd gear, and a struggle in first. I was looking forward to some high speed wheelies, but that isn't going to happen. I'm sure new pipe, remap, airbox mods will help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagati
You tell us As far as I know You are the only person on this site with one. And that makes you the site expert First thing you need to do is a back to back comparison with the KTM690
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #213
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw
Well, I don't know anyone with the 690. That was my other choice as well, but decided to try the Husky. Bought it to be my "between" bike. Have a dirt bike, and have a "road" bike in the 1200 GSA. Was having a hard time riding with friends on KLR's and KTM 950 with the 1200, they were taking me places I didn't want to go on the 1200. Now it's my turn.

It seems really restricted, but definitely more power than a KLR. Not enough roll on power to lift the front wheel in 2nd gear, and a struggle in first. I was looking forward to some high speed wheelies, but that isn't going to happen. I'm sure new pipe, remap, airbox mods will help...
not are they only restricted, Huskies also take quite awhile to loosen up. Mine could just barely do 3rd gear wheelies in the first 1000 miles. After that, 4th gear all day long now.. A huge difference in power once it finally loosened up.
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #214
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw

If you want wheelies in any gear you should have ridden the 690. Mine wheelies in 4th at 55mph just on power and a slight tug of the bars. It will also wheelie at 70mph in 5th with a little seat bounce. 3rd all day long and second and first are much to strong to wheelie in unless you at slow trail speed. Congrats on the new purchase Those 630's look sweet

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #215
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
If you want wheelies in any gear you should have ridden the 690. Mine wheelies in 4th at 55mph just on power and a slight tug of the bars. It will also wheelie at 70mph in 5th with a little seat bounce. 3rd all day long and second and first are much to strong to wheelie in unless you at slow trail speed. Congrats on the new purchase Those 630's look sweet
If you want wheelies in any gear you should ride a bike where all the gears are the same, such as, oh um, a KTM 690. 1st, 3rd, 5th, not much different. It's what makes the 690 so special.

Here's a flashback from the security tapes in Mattighofen where we will listen in on the KTM engineers. Hans: "We need something to make our new motorcycle stand out." Franz: "I know. Why don't we take our LC4 640 with its 5 speed transmission and make it into something unique? Yes, let's give it six gears but with a narrower spread than the current five speed. Nobody else will ever think of such an idea." Hans: "We're geniuses! Break out the kirschwasser! Franz, where is the kirschwasser? Did you already drink all the kirshcwasser?"

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 10:28 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #216
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
Did you already drink all the kirshcwasser?"
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #217
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
If you want wheelies in any gear you should ride a bike where all the gears are the same, such as, oh um, a KTM 690. 1st, 3rd, 5th, not much different. It's what makes the 690 so special.

Here's a flashback from the security tapes in Mattighofen where we will listen in on the KTM engineers. Hans: "We need something to make our new motorcycle stand out." Franz: "I know. Why don't we take our LC4 640 with its 5 speed transmission and make it into something unique? Yes, let's give it six gears but with a narrower spread than the current five speed. Nobody else will ever think of such an idea." Hans: "We're geniuses! Break out the kirschwasser! Franz, where is the kirschwasser? Did you already drink all the kirshcwasser?"
I ride my buddies 690 quite a bit - nice bike but the close range tranny defeats the purpose of a dual sport.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #218
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Defeats is an overstatement but it does force some very high revving or clutch slipping. Both, in my no talent case.
Scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #219
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

I am assuming the 630 has the same ratios on the 610.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #220
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:

It is true - if the 690 can power wheelie in 1st its not too much harder to power wheelie in 5th as the gear ratio's are so tight.

I've been riding my 690 in Colorado for the last 6 mos at +/-8,000 feet. It can not power wheelie in any gear there; all vehicles (I think people too ) suffer a 30%+ powerloss. Then at sealevel it easily power wheelies in 1st and 2nd and almost 3rd (needs a slight pull on bars and/or intentional bum placement). 3rd gear has more power/is closer to being able to powerwheelie at sea level than 1st is at 8,000' - that's all because the tranny is so crazy tight.

Trust me - you don't want to buy a KTM! They lost 115 million last year and I think close to 40 million the first quarter this year. They are desperate, making promises then breaking them and cutting corners pretty fast. Of course everyone is taking it hard in this economy but I still see more integrity in BMW and a long term picture outlook!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #221
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
I am assuming the 630 has the same ratios on the 610.
Here's hoping so -- why would they throw away the #1 best thing about the bike?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #222
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Here's hoping so -- why would they throw away the #1 best thing about the bike?

I read that the overdrive in 5th and 6th are different and not as deep. I felt that 6th was too tall on the 610.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #223
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I read that the overdrive in 5th and 6th are different and not as deep. I felt that 6th was too tall on the 610.
I would agree with you, if you kept the final ratio stock. I went up 3 teeth on the rear and now get some decent drive out of 6th gear.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #224
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
I would agree with you, if you kept the final ratio stock. I went up 3 teeth on the rear and now get some decent drive out of 6th gear.
Not me - I love 6th - I am up just one tooth in the rear and ride at 70 to 80 mph real nice.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #225
riverrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
halls

visited Halls sat, steve had several 630s in crates out back. I hope to ride one this saturday, has several presold but one not sold.