Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #3721
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlim View Post
What of the lack of parts support? Guys with bikes sidelined for months waiting for parts? THAT is what has me nervous, not the dang 3rd gear!!!

Plus, it's straight cut dog box right? Clutchless shifts should be fine really. Are they making these gears out of pot metal?

Sure you can do clutchless shifts but if done wrong you will bend or wear the shift forks and from that point on your shifts will be flawed regardless if you use the clutch or not. This issue is not just related to Husky bikes and I've done it myself while racing other brands during the heat of the moment.

Not much different than if I did continual second gear starts over and over.. I'm sure I'd fry the clutch plates in no time, regardless of the brand of bike.

As for parts, just give Halls a call and you will never wait more than a week, that is if you even need any parts.

Two of us in Minneapolis have over 5000 miles each and our bikes have performed very well for off road rigs. No third gear issues either.

If a go with the 690 make sure to include a tow rope in your tool kit.

I can afford either the KTM or Husky and made my decision on reliability, maintenance and appropriate gearing

Fast1 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 08:00 AM
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #3722
Madmedic
Moto GP rules

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlim View Post
First post!

I've been looking for a good first dual sport, and the TE630 is on the top of the list, as is the TR650 Terra, the KTM 690 (too much moolah) and the DRZ400 as the fall back.

I've found a used TE630 with 3500 miles with a few minor scrapes (no biggie I'm a new rider, and I'm going to drop this thing) for $6000. It has a few upgrades like engine guard and upgraded foot pegs, nothing major.

Is this a decent price? I know this bike listed for $8999 at one point, but was then discounted to $6500 for a time... If that's the case, $6k for a slightly used with a few bumps and scrapes and no warranty does't sound like a very good deal.

I have exactly ONE Husky dealer in my area. They get above average reviews.

Makes me a little nervous!

I know it'd be a great bike for me though, as I want to do 50/50 with some long highway trips thrown in on occasion... I'm a newb, so I'm not going to be ripping it up off road, just cruising easy jeep trails and fire roads looking for photographic opportunities...
I just got a factory demo with 3100 miles and full one year warranty for 4995. It was the bike Cycle World had for their long term test.
Madmedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3723
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
You aren't going to get Japanese reliability (yawn) with any euro bike. Gotta make a choice.
Like others here, my bike has had a couple of wrinkles, but it does run and handle great.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #3724
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
The Husky will put a grin on your face unlike any Japanese bike. It is worth the extra bit of work. It all depends on how you will use it. If long miles on pavement is your goal, go Japanese; if you want dirt miles and handles get the Husky.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #3725
TheSlim
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great info and opinions all around guys. Thanks!

I love the Husky. I haven't had the chance to go look at it yet, but Tuesday should be the day! I'm glad I found this great resource, and I'm sure I'll be asking tons more questions if I take it home with me!

Thanks in advance!
TheSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #3726
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post

However, none of you are 5.5" tall and weigh a fragile 120lbs. Try spending your entire first few days on a motorcycle you can't even touch the ground on riding it in the dirt. Right now, she needs to develop the same skills that were taught during the motorcycle endorsement, only on something other than a 250cc flyweight with a 26" saddle height. She has only spent time in large parking lots (notice the photo) learning braking, turning and the clutch and she won't be mixing it up in everyday commuting traffic or city congestion. I will trailer the bike to remote country roads for her when she is proficient enough.
That certainly makes sense fast1 - I was criticizing your style; just thinking thru the process. Having my wife mix with traffic is the scariest for me.
Oh and she's doing dirt on a 220lb KLX150 with about a 33"? seat height - and dressed like a gladiator/hocky goalie .
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #3727
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,057
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
The Husky will put a grin on your face unlike any Japanese bike. It is worth the extra bit of work. It all depends on how you will use it. If long miles on pavement is your goal, go Japanese; if you want dirt miles and handles get the Husky.
YES!!! Listen to this man above, he has a WR250R, TR650 and a TE630!!!

There are not too many bad bikes but plenty of bad riders and complainers. You can drive yourself nuts if you listen to everyone and take in every reviewers opinion but at the end of the day it's not about how many oil changes, how big your tank is or what kind of tires are on it.......it's about how YOU like your bike!! If you hold yourself to that then you'll find a great bike.

My Thoughts about the 630:
My 630 has been great. Except for not re-enforcing my subframe despite my own stupidity and ignorance and having a bad seal for the hydraulic clutch (covered under warranty), the bike has performed beyond what my skill level could put it thru. You will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that's under 330lbs-350lbs, has about 40-50hp at the wheel, F.I., 6speed, with 3 gallon fuel tank......that doesn't require an oil change every second, third or fourth time you ride it. The 630 seems like a bike everybody would be building because truth be told it's about the ideal ADV bike that people want but it seems as through only Husky was smart enough to build the 610 then the 630.

I was very lucky to have purchased my 630 during the fire sale, I would have probably ended up with a WR250R or DRZ400.....both great bikes. The KTM 690 is the closet bike if your looking for that big bore sound but to me, $11,000....NO WAY!!! I'd take a used "Dark Horse" TE630 ANY DAY!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3728
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
There are not too many bad bikes but plenty of bad riders and complainers. You can drive yourself nuts if you listen to everyone and take in every reviewers opinion but at the end of the day it's not about how many oil changes, how big your tank is or what kind of tires are on it.......it's about how YOU like your bike!! If you hold yourself to that then you'll find a great bike.
This
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #3729
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post

My Thoughts about the 630:
My 630 has been great. Except for not re-enforcing my subframe despite my own stupidity and ignorance and having a bad seal for the hydraulic clutch (covered under warranty), the bike has performed beyond what my skill level could put it thru. You will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that's under 330lbs-350lbs, has about 40-50hp at the wheel, F.I., 6speed, with 3 gallon fuel tank......that doesn't require an oil change every second, third or fourth time you ride it.
+1 on general points and attitude.

The KTM is amazing. Better HP, mileage and . . . better suspension components. BUT - the steering lock ? You gotta be kidding me. Not exactly a Ducati but . . . pretty silly in the woods. The narrow-range transmission gearing ? The inability to lower the suspension via a (Kouba, eg) link.

The Husky is a fine machine and I bleed orange.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #3730
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
I've been in the Ozarks with mine the past few days. My only wish is for more fuel capacity. I'm getting by with a Rotopax. Yes, I gusseted the subframe. Prior to this trip, I was getting mid thirties MPG. This last tank seemed better, though. Maybe it's breaking in.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

tslewisz screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 07:14 AM
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #3731
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 170
I was riding my TE630 in the Ozarks this past weekend and one of my fellow riders had a nicely farkled 2013 KTM 690 enduro. It was quite the machine and I enjoyed every minute that he let me ride it. But I actually preferred my TE630. Definitely lighter and just as powerful (at least the 690 couldn't walk away from me in a drag race until we got over 80mph). We both had Seat Concepts seats, so they were both very comfortable mounts. The KTM had a Wings exhaust and I had the full Leo Vince Ti exhaust. Both had a nice bark to them. Never compared fuel mileage. The real difference was that I had roughly $4,000 less into my bike than he did in his (I bought mine for $5,999 new).
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #3732
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Check out Nomad Tanks for a pretty nice aux tank design. You can get them from here:

http://www.motosportz.com/
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #3733
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,156
Just went for a 3500km blast on the te.Got a bit over 11000km on it now.Proir to this ride it would only do sometimes few hundred km and be back in the shop.Yes it has had issues,leaking clutch master,airbox,Tps units,throttle bodies ,steerer bearings,corroded wiring.I think that is all so far.I think i got a friday bike.I'm not complaining it has been frustrating at times.Would i sell it ....nope.This bike is a good all rounder for me.A bit of single track on the weekend and then a big blast for a week.Finally a have faith in it.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #3734
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 535
Thinking about picking up a TE630 to replace my GSA, actually trading the GSA for the TE...maybe. I really miss the single and my 690, just want something more reliable. I started a thread in Thumpers about finding a thumper as I prefer the ride and experience over the GSA. Have a little boy, 17 months old, and a little girl that will arrive in Sept. so I wont be doing 12-14k miles a year anymore. However, there are plans for Alaska, from GA and back, TAT, CDT and baja as well as 1k mile weekend trips here and there. Is the TE630 up to the task of all of these trips? Ive done some reading here and at Cafe Husky about beefing up the sub frame, Safari tank and some wind protection. Looking for something like this to be bullet proof, as the 690 was a PIA in this department, I dont expect it to be bullet proof without the proper maintenance. Just be able to take me out and bring me back home again. Alaska trip will be around 12k miles roundtrip of mixed road types. Will the TE be up to the task?

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #3735
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 946
- You're a bit in uncharted waters with a 12K mile trip on a 630 as the highest mile example I know of is 12-13K miles. Conventional wisdom would say install fresh spring cup washers and timing chain and you should be fine. Mechanically they're pretty much a TE610 and there are a lot of high mile examples of those. I'll carry a spare injector, fuel pump, brake pads, wheel bearings, and ecu when/if I make the Alaska run. Another plus for the 630 is you can carry a netbook w/ the Husky iBeat software ($150) for pulling codes or adjusting fueling. I added a fuel pres gauge so I can watch the health of my fuel pump and installed the inline CanAm fuel filter the 500EXC guys use.

- 630 has basically the same on/off road manners as a 690 so you know what you're getting there. Look at a TCI Outback rack if you want a lot of packing options. I can run Wolfmans or Pelicans. I don't know of anyone that has had subframe issues after adding CJ's braces. Safari tank is great, 6.6gal x 45mpg = 275mi+ range.

- Most would say the 630 is the perfect TAT, CDT, Baja bike.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 08:58 AM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote