Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #46
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
+1

Looks like the 510 enduro would be a better choice, plus it has black wheels.
510 enduro - crank rebuild every 15000klm
610 dual sport - crank rebuild every 50000klm

Im happy with the extra weight. Drop your forks 2-3 notches, get your sag right and you will keep up with 250's through tight single track.

The guns on the back would probably weigh about 20kg. Get rid of them and chuck a Barrett on and you save 16kg.

Lets just hope its not a 510 engine stroked. 510's use a 450 crank so It wouldnt be good to see the same crank for a 600.

My black wheels cost me $200 for strip/powder coat/rebuild.

Stu

icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #47
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
There is no way your dr650 is 324 dry, unless you believe the specs. The husky on the other hand give accurate measurements.
And I assume by your reply you have weighed both of these bikes and know that Suzuki's figures are inaccurate and Husky's are accurate?

The 610 of yesteryear was 140kgr dry exaclty.
The new one is 150kgr.
difference is 10kgs or 22 lbs.
loose the twin exhaust should you want, and the difference will drop at under 10lbs. No big deal.

PS the dr650 if I remember well is 160kgs true weight dry.
Suzuki used to show dry weights on their specs, now they show curb weight. I don't know how accurate their dry weight figures were, but their curb weight figures are pretty close according to this guys research:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=104

The Cycle World test of the first year of the current DR650 back in 1996 show 166.8kg,367 lbs curb weight. The Suzuki website lists 166.3kg, 366 lbs for the 2009 model. If you click on the 2007 model that they still show on their website they list 324 lbs dry. But then again I have never weighed either of these bikes personally so I am just relying on the most accurate information I have found.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #48
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Define dry.....

The DR weighs 156kgs with all operating fluids except fluid. The claimed dry weight (a pretty useless number anyway) difference is in line with what that of other manufacturers.
Dry=everything but fuel. My memory said 160, your measurement say 156, not a big difference.
Suzuki claimed 147 dry.
Husky dry weight quote though for the 07 and 08 models was exactly right at 140 dry and 150 fully fueled.

Both bikes have been measured by digital scales by local mags and they are very accurate. Same applies for every single bike they have weighted.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #49
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
When I saw the "new" '05 610 I was excited untill I read the weight, and then sat on one at the dealer. The engine in the 630 looks great, but for 60+ lbs. I'd rather keep kick starting my older models. Plus, most folks put single exhaust on their Huskys in the '90s to save the 7-10 lbs.

Hell my old school ATK has the button, holds 3 quarts of oil and is WAY light than the new Huskys. I do wish it had the same tranny though.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #50
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Fail, you want a lightweight bike, buy a lightweight bike. Any 600cc is not going to be "light". With light comes race specs and race maintenance. You choose. I soooo wanted a plated 450 until I realized the maintenance and the fact that I hate trailering my junk. So a big thumper is what I got.

450's and 510's are more spendy than the 610 IIRC and are more "race type" maintenance
09-10 TE450 MSRP $8299
09-10 TE510 MSRP $8599
09 TE610 MSRP $7999 (2010 630 price no out yet)
How about a 650 at under 300lb with a reliable motor?

Try an XRR. With a lightweight DS kit, and shedding some unnecessary crap, you could probably still squeak in at 300lb dry.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #51
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostRider
FYI

In Milan, Husqvarna also unveiled the WRE125 two-stroke enduro bike for kids (the standard WR125 isn't sold in Australia),2009
hmm sorry to be picky in a TE650 thread..Hurry up and buy one Tagati

umm but we do get the WR125 as far as i know (until the quoted model above came out) is the only model made i almost got one new for my Missus...but she didn't deserve it

PS as a road legal bike

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #52
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando

Try an XRR. With a lightweight DS kit, and shedding some unnecessary crap, you could probably still squeak in at 300lb dry.
Not possible for me as we can not register bikes like XRR's here or I would have owned one 3 years ago

How is the Husky mill unreliable? I have read some pretty impressive numbers for it's performance.

Like every thread it's a pissing match on how the jap DS are better in every way and so on and so forth. I'd rather read an oil or tire thread anymore than this vs that pissing matches
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #53
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando

I have a powerful 600 dual sport, with an e-start, that is super reliable (holds 3qts. of oil), has upside down forks and weighed in at 294, as tested in Dirt Bike magazine.

Welcome to the '90s:

We seem to be going backwards, in the area of weight. Just picked up a ttr230 for the girl last night and it weighs almost as much as my 650 Berg. WTF?

Huskyfatman screwed with this post 11-12-2009 at 07:31 AM
Old 11-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #54
LostRider
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 235

I think the point of a 600cc class DS bike is people want a dirt bike they can ride on street. We all know how light dirt bikes handle on the street... so manufactures add what they think will help sell it to riders interested in riding on the street. If you want a more dirt oriented bike look for something smaller.

The TE630 was built with the street more in mind than the dirt. More hp.... uhhhh talk about shredding tires and chucking rocks when uncorked it will be way overkill for the dirt. Dual Exhaust is less restrictive but the trade off is added weight, sounds like that was added with the street in mind. The added weight will make the bike feel better on the street and more of a pig in the dirt.

The TE610 is perfect for me gobs of power when uncorked and a great suspension when setup right, light weight for it's size and wide ratio trany and did I mention that the TE610 hauls ass and handles excellently in the dirt. For the more dirt oriented 600cc class riders I belive the TE610 will continue to be the bike of choice.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #55
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
Quite right. The current 450's are faster than the previous (and for that matter most current) 600+ class bikes. Heck, even the 250 four strokes now are making as much or more power than most previous generation 600cc bikes. The ATK605 is cool, but its hardly ahead of the current stuff - compare to a CRF450X, KLX450, TE450 etc would be more apples to apples imho. This big TE looks like a great long distance, truly street worthy dual sport.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #56
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

I'd just like something in between a high maintence 450+cc plated race bike and the heavy arse 600+cc bikes. For those of us who want a realatively light, low maintence bike that is good for medium distance rides over rougher terrain, there's nothing new available.

250cc race bikes might make as much or more power than the aniemic Japanese KLR, DRZ and XR 600/650s, but they don't come close to the liquid cooled Euro 600s, even older ones.

450cc race bikes might come colse to the HP but the big bores Euros have more grunt. Whenever one of my friends gets a "new" 450 MXer, they want me to ride it thinking how impressed I'll be after getting off my 650 Berg. They're not all that for off road/desert use. And niether are low maintence/reliable and street friendly.

I've been riding 610s since the early 90's and I'm just making the observation that there's probably a market for the big gap between the 510 and 610/630.

I'll just hang onto my old iron I guess. Not saying they are better, just that they suit my needs better. If a 530 KTM held more oil, or better yet, a 570 Berg had more fuel and oil capacity-and a plate, it might be perfect.

Huskyfatman screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 06:22 PM
Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #57
Rokon
Not fat just "husky"

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL
Noticed the picture above has a small tank under the air filter and rear brake reservoir where the clutch arm used to be. The cap is similar to the coolant tank on my '07.
I think that IS the coolant tank. Must have to lay the bike on it's side to fill it.
Rokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #58
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 468
I dont know how all you blokes ride and Im not blowing wind up my ass but there are only a handfull of 450's that stay ahead of me. I am no vetran psycho enduro rider either. Ive only been back riding for 15 months and thats after a 16 year absence from riding too.

TE610's when the suspension is set correctly are lightning fast and easy to control through anything you throw at them. You have got to get your sag and clickers right!! They dont need a dampner, but if your 6 feet or over you need a set of 35mm risers and decent bars. Immideatly get rid of the standard muffler and let the thing breathe.

The Mallee masters in South Australia is 2 days of 1st and second gear single trail. Tightest monkey butt inducing snot you could ever get con'd into riding. Lower the front 3 notches then set the sag and it handles like a 250. Then in the straights, no-one stands a chance. Not 530's not 510's not 300 2T. Out of the hundred or so riders I sat in about 10th the whole weekend!!

This new TE630 will not be a step backwards I assure you! The engine and EFI will be insanely smooth. The suspension will be adjustable. Just because they have no compression clickers means nothing. KLX450's dont either and they are winning endurance trials.

The Airbox is different not the same as some have said. It obviously seals a heck of a lot better and Im sure that when broken down it will be different too.

I am looking forward to my next bike and I will show you how good they are when I get one.

Stu

icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #59
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Wow, I guess that's what I get for trying to judge a bike I've never ridden! Maybe I could save some money and just strap a 50lb. weight onto my 2000 610 and it would fly. Can't wait to see the new 630s win Erzberg.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #60
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
The 630 in Person

I am at the Eicma show in Milan, selling Wolfman to the Euros. I have had a chance to look sit touch the new 630. Very impressive. The fit and finish is waaay better than the 610. Should be a great bike. Off to bed.

Eric
Wolfman
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote