Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 05:33 AM   #76
Tagati OP
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,632
Thats the thing. Personally I NEED at least 400km range so until we can get some big tanks I am waiting

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #77
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
But they removed the lower intakes.
Yah, but what's funny about that is that since the 610 box doesn't even come close to sealing up between the cover and main body of the box, it wouldn't matter as far as water crossings anyway. Unless they somehow made the plastic more flat, rigid and maybe added an oring to seal it up...

Yes the 610 airbox sucks, but some of the other things you guys are complaining about...

footpegs...yes the stockers are narrow, but you can buy a used set of "wide" pegs off an mx bike for $25 on ebay and with a bit of grinding, they fit right on.

footpeg mounts...all you need is a few minutes with a file or grinder, and some loctite...problem solved

turning radius...you are correct that it isn't very tight due to interference between the forks and tank, but I've found that with the right leaning and throttle technique the bike turns very tight!

the 610 has some minor quirks just like many bikes do, but certainly shouldn't be a "deal breaker" for anyone who truly wants a great dual sport bike.

I'm quite skeptical that you are going to take anywhere close to 30 pounds off the 630 with just exhaust. If I remember correctly, the weight savings on the 610 when switching to a Leo was minimal, maybe a pound or two?

motometal screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 05:23 PM
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #78
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
I'm having trouble buying the 30 lbs extra weight. What could possibly add 30 lbs? The top end of the motor probably adds a bit with 2 cams and the extra pipe & can maybe adds 10. (If I remember correctly the stock exhaust can on the 610 is about 8 lbs.) Where could the other 20 or so pounds be? 20 lbs is a lot of iron.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 AM   #79
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I'm having trouble buying the 30 lbs extra weight. What could possibly add 30 lbs? The top end of the motor probably adds a bit with 2 cams and the extra pipe & can maybe adds 10. (If I remember correctly the stock exhaust can on the 610 is about 8 lbs.) Where could the other 20 or so pounds be? 20 lbs is a lot of iron.
Hoder, according to the published specs, the 630 is 10kgs heavier than the 610. That is 22lbs, half of which must be the additional exhaust. The rest could very well be a stiffer frame and subframe?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #80
motometal
i like motorcycles

Reading through this thread, the number thrown out for the 610 was 296 with no fuel, 317 full of fuel, evidently the "brochure weight" for the 630 is 330.7 dry. I can't imagine they would want to exaggerate the brochure weight, they did the opposite on the 510 a few years ago.

So the frame is all new?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #81
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

The first mod any off-roader is going to make is getting rid of the twin cans. My guess is the weight will be close enough to the 610 so as not to be an issue. A couple pounds for the top end and hydro clutch. I'd still buy one over a 690 or anything else out there.
I just wonder if the torque curve will be as linear as the 610. Some people complain about the lack of "hit" in the power band. The smooth power delivery is one of the things that make this bike (610) so great for me.

Dave:
bikefrk:
Old 12-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #82
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

BTW, haven't seen anyone post this:

Might be a cool mod for the SM guys or anyone wanting the ultimate bling factor. They're really stepping up this year with the Special Parts.

Dave:
bikefrk:
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #83
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
Reading through this thread, the number thrown out for the 610 was 296 with no fuel, 317 full of fuel, evidently the "brochure weight" for the 630 is 330.7 dry. I can't imagine they would want to exaggerate the brochure weight, they did the opposite on the 510 a few years ago.

So the frame is all new?
The 'Real' weight of the 610 FI is 149 kgr (329 lb) with a full tank vs 140kg empty. The 630 will be 10kgs heavier and 5-10 hp more powerful.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #84
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
The first mod any off-roader is going to make is getting rid of the twin cans. My guess is the weight will be close enough to the 610 so as not to be an issue. A couple pounds for the top end and hydro clutch. I'd still buy one over a 690 or anything else out there.
I just wonder if the torque curve will be as linear as the 610. Some people complain about the lack of "hit" in the power band. The smooth power delivery is one of the things that make this bike (610) so great for me.

I believe the engine will be very 510-like since it uses the same top, maybe a little bit smoother. I am pretty sure it will smoke the 610 everywhere but where every single kg of weight counts. Husqvarna has proved for the last 2-3 years that they have their shit together and I personaly expect the 690 will have very serious competition.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #85
Tspoon
CRANKIT

Oddometer: 29
Te630

A different version of the info on the 630. If they are built and shipped on the proposed dates, I will have mine in March/April,street legal in Canada.

http://www.husky.com.au/html/biketes...a_te-sm630.pdf
Tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #86
motometal
i like motorcycles

D.I.D (520) drive chain (nice improvement)

Marzocchi/Sachs suspension...same as 610
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #87
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
The 'Real' weight of the 610 FI is 149 kgr (329 lb) with a full tank vs 140kg empty. The 630 will be 10kgs heavier and 5-10 hp more powerful.
Wrong.

"I checked the sight glass to make sure the correct amount of oil was in the engine/tranny and then checked the coolant overflow bottle. Spot on!
I emptied the gas tank and weighed the bike; it weighed 296 pounds. The bike was stone stock with no mods, fluids topped up, and the gas tank was empty. After filling with 3.25 gallons of gas, the TE weighed 317 pounds."

From this guys web site:

http://www.rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm

He is very meticulous.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #88
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Wrong.

"I checked the sight glass to make sure the correct amount of oil was in the engine/tranny and then checked the coolant overflow bottle. Spot on!
I emptied the gas tank and weighed the bike; it weighed 296 pounds. The bike was stone stock with no mods, fluids topped up, and the gas tank was empty. After filling with 3.25 gallons of gas, the TE weighed 317 pounds."

From this guys web site:

http://www.rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm

He is very meticulous.
Actually, my figure was 139 kgs (dual electronic scales) but rounded it to 140. His figure is 134.5 kg. I think 3.5 kgs of difference are not something to argue about, especially since it is well withing accuracy limits.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #89
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Actually, my figure was 139 kgs (dual electronic scales) but rounded it to 140. His figure is 134.5 kg. I think 3.5 kgs of difference are not something to argue about, especially since it is well withing accuracy limits.
Yep,

Th TE630 is listed as 330 pounds wet - while the SM is 350 pounds.

If the TE610 is 317 and the TE630 is 330 then an after market single pipe should be good for at least 5 pounds - they will be with in single digit weight of each other.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #90
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Yep,

Th TE630 is listed as 330 pounds wet - while the SM is 350 pounds.

If the TE610 is 317 and the TE630 is 330 then an after market single pipe should be good for at least 5 pounds - they will be with in single digit weight of each other.

That last list of specs says the TE630 is 330#s without gas and 348#s for the SM. It would make more sense if those were wet weights.

I like your numbers Flashman!!