User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
DerGraf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
In full galopp across Europe

Two years. Two years, since we went on our last big trip to Nordkapp, Norway.
It was as interesting and fun as it was cold and wet. Mother nature is fantastic, the landscape is
beatiful, our bikes ran perfectly and we had a great time. Sometimes in the tent, we think about our next
trip. I dont't know, why, but we want go to warm country. I think, it was very cold.
May be we go to Spain. Or to Portugal.
A Little bit later, at home, I read a riding report about a trip across the Pyrenees. It was fantastic.
The targed was set. I bought a new bike, I was fascinated with the good old-scool Triumph Scrambler.
It was the beginning of a new friendship, the bike runs very well, I went on good trips with it. The front
brake is bad, but the engine runs perfectly. A lot of people ask me how old the bike is. When I say it's 3
years old, most people find it unbelievable, saying the bike looks very old.

Last year I read some reports about the Pyrenees, I bought some good books and had some dreams.
We wanted to make a big trip across Europe, from Berlin to San-Sebastian in Spain,
across the Pyrenees to Cadaques in Spain, Alps, Andorra, France, Switzerland and back to Germany.

The preparation of the bike began about 6 months ago. Roger Guhr made the luggage for me,
I placed my trusty Garmin on the bike, and built a tool box.

Who are we? 44-year-old me and my 22-years old son. He, a student, rides his own bike, a Suzuki SV650, since 2007.
I want to try to write my first riding report. Why? - I don't now. My english is very bad,
this is my first report in my life. I don't know if someone is interested in our riding experience,
but I hope that at least the images from Europe will be interesting for someone.

The days of the preparation are over. The last day at work, answering large mountains of e-mails,
doing last phone-calls... I'm tired and I want go.
At home,my daugther and my son make the last preparations for the trip. My dear wife made rain covers
for our tankbags.
We all work until late at night. During sleep, I dream of mountains...

DerGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
egret
noob

Oddometer: 357
Yor english is just fine mate ! Keep us posted ...
PS. Nice wheels

-zie egret.
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,697
Thumb In!

Don't worry about your language skills. Just post lots of pictures. Nice Scrambler. I used to ride a Thruxton.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,309
Cool bike. Lets see more pictures of it.

I love the bags as well.

Your English just makes the report that much better. I love talking to Europeans and listening to their interpretation of the English language.

Remember, even folks from the US and Great Britain don't speak the same language.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGraf
I want to try to write my first riding report. Why? - I don't now. My english is very bad...
No it isn't.

And it's MUCH better than my German
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
Cool bike. Lets see more pictures of it.

I love the bags as well.

Your English just makes the report that much better. I love talking to Europeans and listening to their interpretation of the English language.

Remember, even folks from the US and Great Britain don't speak the same language.
bigborefan, you are too right there matey - Americans speak a sub dialect of old English (said he sounding like he knew what he was on about).

Enjoying the road trip
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
gtjusty
x

Oddometer: 56
I am hooked. Keep it comming!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
ILYA77
rider

Oddometer: 38
Keep it comming!
ILYA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
DerGraf OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Thank you, men, for your good words about my english - that gives me courage!
I read some riding reports on this site - better than any book. I like the report from Jean-Luc "Chasing summer"
with fascinated pictures, and the reports over bike named CACK, and much more...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
DerGraf OP
Adventurer

One

Finally. It's early in the morning and we can now embark on our trip. As I wake up, I realize the excitement rising in me.
We have been waiting for this ride a long time and today we can go, great!
Before we start, my wife prepares a good breakfast for us since we'll have to prepare our breakfast ourselves during the trip.
This is a part of the experience, as is the tent, sleeping bag and the motorcycles. Until now, our preferred holiday destination has been Scandinavia,
which is a paradise for people who like to sleep in tents.
But this trip is going south- we've not explored this area by motorcycle yet.

The weather is very good, the tanks are full and the rest of luggage is mounted on the bikes.
After my son fills up the tires, we are ready to go!

It's weekend, the streets are empty and we are quickly on the road out of Berlin.
It is a very good feeling to be back on the bike. Such a big trip is completely different to a little one when you only ride for a weekend.
Instead of dwelling on the problems of life, you think about the road, the route and the destination... I even believe that the motorcycle is happy to travel as well.
The engine meets all the good wishes of the rider. Thanks a lot to the Triumph people, I like the horses under my seat.

The area near Berlin is very familiar to us. We won't use the highway, the so called "Autobahn". It's really dangerous to ride your bike with 130 km/h on a lane with guys in fast cars doing 200...
I like the small roads with very little traffic, so I changed the settings on the Garmin to avoid highways and toll roads. In Germany we don't have a lot of toll roads,
they're rare, but in France, they're most popular. We want to ride somewhere else and save our money for other
purposes.

While on the road, we looked at a small Cistercian monastery, "Kloster Zinna". It most interesting to see how people lived centuries ago.
These are the pictures from the monastery and the village nearby. The old buildings are well preserved. The church was open.

In one village, we found a restaurant owned by a nice family. The food was very good! While we were eating, we looked happily on the route we yet had to go, it was just the beginning of a long way!
Traveling on small roads in Germany means traveling between villages and cities. Since the distance between villages or towns is usually just about 5 to 12 kilometers, one only gets to go fast for a few minutes before having to brake again.
If you want to locate the gas station, you need your GPS. The stations are often located on the side roads, so you must ask the locals, but the streets in the villages are
often empty. The GPS helps a lot.

We crossed the Elbe, which is a famous river in Germany. We found this sign, "Attention: Crazy motorists". I hope they love motorbikes,
and don't want to hit us...

This is my ultimate tool box for a Scrambler. The Triumph folks won't make any tool box for the bike, so I have to do it myself.
The tool box is waterproof and has room for all the necessary tools.

Here we are in Thueringen (which is in the east of Germany) and we found a campsite.
We made coffee, prepared our tent and got ready for the night. On every journey, building the tent for first time is
most difficult, as we forgot how to do it.
But this is only first time, later we could set up our tent in no time.
The locals at the campsite are celebrating, playing and singing songs all night. It's good feeling to be on a trip, in a tent, again.
No issues, no problems, no e-mails, no phone calls, no meetings... Cool, I like this!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
ILYA77
rider

Oddometer: 38
Question Maps please

Good report.
I have been ride in Germany few times before.
It is very nice to ride there.
Can we see trip map on google maps?
Like this one.
Danke.

ILYA77 screwed with this post 09-21-2009 at 02:49 PM
ILYA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,855
Germany is so beautiful. I sure would love to go back. Maybe someday I can take my family over there.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Nice. Sub'd...
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306