User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,388
Ojay aka Ozarkrider Passed this morning

RIP to our brother Jay affectionately nicknamed OJay (ADV - Ozarkrider) in Mountain Home, Arkansas. He fought cancer for the last five years and beat it three times. This time he didn't get it done. We in NWA went to visit him over the last two weeks and he was ever battling, ever graceful and ever defiant. Magoo (Tim) has been in touch with Kathy (Ojays wife) so once arrangements are made I will be sure to post them.

Notice about Jay.

Also the The Hankins Funeral Home Guest Book is here if you would like to sign it

Please Check this thread for information about O'jays Service..

If you knew Jay and know you won't be making the trip to the service please take the time to sign the guest book at the Funeral Home website located here. Make sure you sign as an ADV Rider friend of Ojays.

IF YOU HAVE PHOTOS OF OJAY PLEASE POST THEM IN THE MEMORIAL PAGE LOCATED HERE. IF YOU LOOK ON THE LEFT COLUMN THERE IS PLACE TO POST PICTURES IN HIS MEMORIAL.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 12-09-2014 at 07:43 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
jay547
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Damn. We met him at the NEOK BMW rally last year, cool dude. Didn't know about his past history with this, we thought it was something new.

RIP
jay547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,947
My Uncle was a close friend, a brother and mentor in Christ, a confidant and a fellow sufferer of the disease of motorcyclemania. When he wasn't sick, he could ride the wheels off of anything and have people wondering how he got what he was riding to where he was seen. I am so very glad Jay is not suffering any more and yet very sad I will have to wait until the other side to talk with him once again. My prayers go out for his Wife, his children and all y'all who called him friend.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,388
I'm very sorry for your loss.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
Thanks Charlie...
Old 12-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
+1

I met OJay a couple of years ago when he stopped in Vicksburg on his way to New Orleans. I've never met a more positive, more uplifting man. I couldn't believe he was battling cancer when I found out several months latter. He lived life the way we all should. RIP OJay!
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Met him for the first and only time recently at a moto meet in Mountain View Ark. Good guy and a helluva a guitar player. Sat around the campfire while he took requests.

Ride on Jay.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
Sorry to hear this. Corresponded with him occasionally, and enjoyed meeting him at the Indian Nations Rally a couple years ago. Top notch guy.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 34,359
Damn, this sucks. RIP
Old 12-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
WKUWIZ
eschew obfuscation!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz charlie View Post
i'm very sorry for your loss.
+2

'06 F650GS Dakar, '01 R1100RT, two big feet
WKUWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
We (Phil in KC and I and our spouses) only met Jay once. That came about when Phil threw out a post on ADV looking for a place to park in North Central AR for a few days so we could take a loop around that part of the state.

In no time Jay had offered up his place. Along with the parking space he gave us good coffee, conversation, tips on roads and places to see, and shared some great artwork with us while waiting for a thunderstorm to pass through.

Before we left Jay said we could leave our keys with him and if we had any mechanical trouble just call and he would come after us and if he wasn't home when we came back to just go in and get the keys off the counter.

We never got to talk to you again Brother but wish we could have got to know you more.

Godspeed Ozarkrider
Old 12-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post
We (Phil in KC and I and our spouses) only met Jay once. That came about when Phil threw out a post on ADV looking for a place to park in North Central AR for a few days so we could take a loop around that part of the state.

In no time Jay had offered up his place. Along with the parking space he gave us good coffee, conversation, tips on roads and places to see, and shared some great artwork with us while waiting for a thunderstorm to pass through.

Before we left Jay said we could leave our keys with him and if we had any mechanical trouble just call and he would come after us and if he wasn't home when we came back to just go in and get the keys off the counter.

We never got to talk to you again Brother but wish we could have got to know you more.

Godspeed Ozarkrider
I remember that...he was a good guy..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #13
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
We were in Russellville a few years back a I mentioned we were going to Yellville to the Front Porch for dinner and Jay was going to meet us there. Something happened and we didn't end up going. Came back on bike a year later and gave Jay a yell but was to late for his work schedule. Just wasn't meant to be I guess.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #14
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
"A memorial service for 60 year old Jay Altazan of Mountain Home will be Saturday afternoon at 1:30 at East Side Baptist Church with fellowship to follow at Three Rivers Biker Church in Gamaliel under the direction of Conner-Hankins Funeral Home.
An employee of the Mountain Home High School Maintenance Department, Jay Altazan served in the United States Air Force during the Vietnam era and was an ordained minister serving the community in the Baxter County Alternative School TIME Mentoring Program and as a past-member of the board of directors of the Food Bank of North Central Arkansas and supporting the Arkansas Baptist Boys Ranch in Harrison.
He is survived locally by his wife of 17 years, Kathleen; daughter, Jody Horne of Mountain Home and William James Altazan of Lakeview; and adoptive sister Sharon Altazan of Dolph.
Memorials may be made to the Arkansas Baptist Boys Ranch."

Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
Ok, I think I finally have it together enough to post something.

As positive as he was and as hard as he fought OJay has proved histag line:
Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%

Sooner or later we will all get there, through our own routes, trials, tribulations, and adventures along the way. Jay has just arrived earlier than some of us. Even though some of you may think I have tried to beat him there a couple times over the last few years. [:0)
I think I have been fortunate and have had a few great male role models who have provided a great example of how I could live my life. I noticed one thing about Jay and would add him to that list for being so positive all the time, even when the future looked questionable. While he was fighting cancer for the last five years he had some of the most positive posts in our NWA BS thread and I am sure elsewhere on the ADV site. I hope I can learn from Jay’s example and be more positive in what I do and how I appear to those around me in the future.
Nevermind, I cannot agree more with your post: I am so very glad Jay is not suffering anymore and yet very sad I will have to wait until the other side to talk with him once again.
I will always remember having the opportunity Jay provided to get a little “escape”, or breathing time when I would journey to Mountain Home to visit my Grandmother who was going through some health issues. Spending part of a Sunday afternoon following Jay and Kathe on Yellaphant down some of his favorite roads will always be with me.
Rest in peace Brother.

Kris
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote