User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Riparian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Rare Elite 250 Parts?

Alright scootmasters, I'm here for some advice...

I just purchased a 1989 Elite 250 for my girlfriend. Not sure how many elite riders there actually are here, but searching doesn't yeild much, so I'm not holding my breath...

Anyway, the second generation (89-90) are quite rare, so I'm having a hard time finding parts. Her's came with some sort of home-made seat job (it looks OK but feels super-soft and kinda funky), and some of the plastics have a few scratches. For this reason, I'm keeping my eye out for a used seat to pop up on ebay or something, but I'm not having much luck so far. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I'm hoping there's a guy somewhere with a whole pile of parts, but again, i'm not holding my breath.

Also, for anyone considering an elite 250, I have to say that this scoot is awesome. It'll run 70 with ease (and I weight 220lbs+gear) and is pretty quick off the line. The styling of the 89-90 is also much nicer than the previous models, so if you find one, grab it!

Thanks in advance, guys!

-Joe
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Contact Eric at Point Loma Scooters.

He has a big junk pile of Elite Parts.

3017 Canon St
(between Locust St & Rosecrans St)
San Diego, CA 92106 www.plscooters.com
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Wentwest
How's that work?

Rare 250 parts

Try www.jacksscootershop.com
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Riparian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys! I'll contact them today :)
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
89 Elite 250 is the power by helix engine . You should join the guys over at elite250 yahoo groups. All most all the key parts are still around. If the engine dies you can fix a cfmoto 250 go cart engine in I ve been told. You can also down load the helix 250 manual and use it for engine and if it's got the disk brakes I believe again helix pads fix them. What you can't find locally or form the guys off the elite 250 group you can get off ebay. Is the seat pan stock?? If so then go here it tells you how to rebuild you own seat. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ Now http://www.ch250.net/ch250helixinterchange.htm is mostly for when it comes to the engine for per 88 elite. Here is the helix 250 manual http://bill.laudeman.com/helix/manual/ . If you are running the stock shocks which are crap consider doing the cb350 shock mod which you can find out more about at the ch250.net. It fairly simple. 2 cb350 shocks 2 new bolts 2 hours to do. The key with your elite is remembering that you need helix engine parts belts etc. Most shops are going to be clueless about it. It's a great bike, just don't overfill the oil and remember to change the gear oil. Who know when that was last done. I love my 86 elite but really want the helix .

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 09-23-2009 at 01:03 AM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
Riparian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying59
89 Elite 250 is the power by helix engine . You should join the guys over at elite250 yahoo groups. All most all the key parts are still around. If the engine dies you can fix a cfmoto 250 go cart engine in I ve been told. You can also down load the helix 250 manual and use it for engine and if it's got the disk brakes I believe again helix pads fix them. What you can't find locally or form the guys off the elite 250 group you can get off ebay. Is the seat pan stock?? If so then go here it tells you how to rebuild you own seat. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ Now http://www.ch250.net/ch250helixinterchange.htm is mostly for when it comes to the engine for per 88 elite. Here is the helix 250 manual http://bill.laudeman.com/helix/manual/ . If you are running the stock shocks which are crap consider doing the cb350 shock mod which you can find out more about at the ch250.net. It fairly simple. 2 cb350 shocks 2 new bolts 2 hours to do. The key with your elite is remembering that you need helix engine parts belts etc. Most shops are going to be clueless about it. It's a great bike, just don't overfill the oil and remember to change the gear oil. Who know when that was last done. I love my 86 elite but really want the helix .
Thanks for the detailed advice -- sounds like you're well versed in the honda scoots of the 80s & 90s! You prefer a Helix over an Elite? I'm the other way around, but that's probably because mine will be used almost exclusively for in-town commuting.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
fullmetalscooter

Well if type in google elite 250 around the world there is a guy in bc canada whom used one to do that. In town it's nice bike. On the highway it still nice if you install a gel pad. I want the helix just do to my height . Also I ve seen the picture of it slip stream . I ve seen it with a roof and windshied with wiper. Also it 5 years of production for the elite verse 20 for the helix. I ll ride my elite 250 till next year and then find a helix in Wa.
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying59
I believe you're mistaken about the '89 Elite 250 engine being the same engine as the one in the Helix. I was under the impression that the re-designed for '89 Elite 250's used a different, horizontal 250 c.c. engine.

This link seems to say the same thing. Read the blurb next to the red '89 Elite 250:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBoQ9QEwBQ
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Vertical engine vs. Horizontal

As further proof that the '89 Elite CH250 engine is not the same one used in the Helix, take a look at these engine diagrams from Bike Bandit:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...-elite/o/m2085

My Helix is most definitely a vertical engine, while the '89 Elite 250 appears from these diagrams to be a horizontal engine.

p.s. I think the CFMoto 250 engine is also a vertical one, so it's parts probably would not work in your '89 Elite 250 either. Your dealer will of course know best.
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
Bikebandit and DGY are great places to get OEM parts if you can't find them anywhere else----you'll pay a bit more, though.

the 1989 CH250 is a SWEET RIDE, I'm keeping my eyes open for a local sale on one of those. I have a 1987 CH150 & the body styles are very similar.

Hey man, if ALL ELSE FAILS, you can always go skelly!!!!
JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter

I don't mean to be rude but Everything I ve be told about the 89 elite say that it's the helix engine. I ask sometime ago over at elite250 group on yahoo about this and was told that it was true. Honda wouldn't just make a new engine for one bike.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
nacree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/page1/page1.html

Yes the -89 and 90 elite 250's were HORIZONTAL motors not vertical like the earlier models and the Helix. They actually have a large underseat storage area which makes them very desirable.

The Horizontal engine went on to be used in the Reflex so it was not a one time change.
nacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

I doubt the Helix and the Gen 2 Elite 250 are enough alike to be interchangeable.

Get the two shop manuals and have a look.

ernest t bass screwed with this post 12-21-2009 at 05:46 PM
ernest t bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
I've got a 89 Elite 250 and it's one sweet ride!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Wentwest
How's that work?

I have 2 1990 ch250's. They are definitely not a Helix engine. The closest thing is the engine in a NSS250 Reflex, but only a few parts are interchangeable with the Reflex. The rear shock mod for the 85-88 250 won't work on the 89 or 90 because the shocks are different, and the left and right are different from each other. You can look up parts online and compare part numbers for the 85-88 and yours and see what is compatible, but in my experience not a lot is.

There is a perfectly good seat cover on Ebay, sold by a guy called "gumtwo", and I used it. If the foam is bad then I suggest you get the new cover (if you need it) or remove the old cover carefully and have an upholstery shop make a new foam base.

Brake shoes are available, EBC330 front and EBC350 rear.

There are a few of us on the Yahoo CH250 group with these 89 or 90 models. They did not sell well in the US. Too expensive, in a time of cheaper gas, listing for $3,700 or so. In Japan they are called Honda Freeway, and some parts are available but my Japanese is zero, so I can't buy anything there.

They are magnificent machines. Enjoy!
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote