ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Tet

Trans Eastern Trail

Current release is TETv1r1

As if we need another. We are all addicts though, could one more hurt? But, this one is with a twist. With a little sober cooperation, well maybe I should not be so narrow minded, there is enough resources here to link the beautiful terra firma avenues represented in this forum into a masterpiece. The total is worth more than the sum of the parts, I'm sure. I will reserve post two for links to various posts, files, or threads. Wanna meet me at the state line? Some guidelines;

Track logs rule:
There is just that warm and fuzzy feeling that YOU made it out alive.

Most pigs can't fly:
Let's at least give the 1/4 ton and above crowd a path.

We must hold hands:
Well, maybe a high five at the border will do when we link.

Bolt cutters are not in the average tool kit:
Doughnuts on the eighteenth hole while running from the grounds keeper is not my idea of adventure.

Track log grades:

Green-pig heaven

Blue-pigs with an attitude, thumper heaven

Black-if you can't ride it, you best be able to carry it

Tetv1 Panel

Admin

intothenew

Facilitators

9Dave
AugustFalcon
BlueLghtning
MoBill
NorthernTraveler
Rob23

Tet General Protocols

Video

TET 2011 GA SC Hill climb follow (robbwatson)
TET 2011 GA SC Hill climb lead Water Xing (robbwatson)
Checking out the TWVT - April 2011 (badguymike35)
TWVT (h14xl)
Eastern TNJT, TWVT (rrcraft50)
TWVT Alt2 (h14xl)
TWVT 1 trimmed (psalonis)
TWVT near White Sulphur (h14xl)
Riding the Trans West Virginia Trail (tbogue)
Bad Hill Video 001 (tudelum48)
Red October Train Section 001 (tudelum48)
VID00678 (psalonis)
VID00669 (psalonis)
VID00682 (psalonis)

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."

intothenew screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:10 AM
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

The goodies

The protocol for getting the file:

Fill out the form below

I send you the pdf file

You respond in the thread that you got the pdf

I send you the zipped gpx

This seems to be a bit hard for some to follow, I don't know if that is just because you don't read, or that you feel I am being too intrusive. I'll try and explain the madness behind it so that you might see where I am coming from. I make you stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken for the following reasons.

ADV username: You made it past the ADV gate keepers, that gains a certain amount of trust on my part. I prefer to keep this in the hood.

E-mail address: I will not post this as an attachment, or post a link to a dedicated server. This is between you and I, and you and I only.

First and last name: You are real, or at least I hope that you are real. I have met some of you in meatspace, and hope to meet many more. I have made what I think will be some lasting friends at this. A real name, not a screen name, is a better way to start in meatspace. The nickname I am after is the one that your SO, or your mother, calls you. That one is much more effective to use on the trail or around the campfire to heckle with.

I send the doc and you respond in the thread: Some people just don't know their e-mail address and/or have extremely fat fingers. This sequence assures that the zipped gpx file is going to the intended place and, albeit with a lot of wishful thinking, assumes that you have read the doc. Take the time to read, although there is some self indulgence on my part, the majority is there just for you. This step also automatically subscribes you to the thread I hope. If not, you need to subscribe, that is he surest way for you to receive release updates. Lastly, I've got a few n00b cherries with this step.

I send you the gpx: You, and only you.

Current release is TETv1r1

intothenew screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:12 AM Reason: added latest version
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
MikeBike4
Hacked

Oddometer: 1,343
Tet!

Good idea Chip! But if you want sober cooperation, i may have to be retrained! I'm in though!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Great Idea, I take it you mean a north-south route through the eastern states?
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter
Great Idea, I take it you mean a north-south route through the eastern states?

That is totally up to the collective. I am simply trying to harbor a place that allows the different files to meet.

For instance. if you were to track to the New York border I would expect that to challenge someone to take it to Vermont, Mass, Conn, Jerz, or PA. Shake your neighbors hand so to speak.

Sure, the Florida Keys would be nice. But someone has to make it to the Flatistan border for that to happen. And, I think we are closer to the lobster traps for now.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
Rob23 kinda layed the foot work for you already by drawing up the file for the Trans - Appalachian Trail. I followed a lot of robs route through pa. and into md. From there you can pretty much hook into the twvt to head further south for a much better route ( I like intothenew's route a lot), then head back towards nc. hooking back into robs file which will then lead you through the smokies, which have quite an assortment of fantastically crappy great roads. So to complete it, the only areas needed would be from georgia on down to fl. and north of maine...maybe link it into nova scotia and new foundland if ya wanna add a bit more excitement..lol.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by code
Rob23 kinda layed the foot work for you already by drawing up the file for the Trans - Appalachian Trail. I followed a lot of robs route through pa. and into md. From there you can pretty much hook into the twvt to head further south for a much better route ( I like intothenew's route a lot), then head back towards nc. hooking back into robs file which will then lead you through the smokies, which have quite an assortment of fantastically crappy great roads. So to complete it, the only areas needed would be from georgia on down to fl. and north of maine...maybe link it into nova scotia and new foundland if ya wanna add a bit more excitement..lol.
great to hear there's people out there actually using the AT routes, can you please email me any data and notes you have (ie: tracks, waypoints, items to change/update, closed roads, etc.).

Thanks,

Since I released the AT I haven't received much data back at all, therefore it's remained an unproven route. I really don't know if it sucks, it's good, if people ride it or what, I get no feed back and therefore I haven't really worked on it at all and I've been to busy racing dirt bikes to ride it myself.

I think what Chip wants to do is build a proven route and I agree with him there 100%, we definately could use a North > South (east coast) proven route that's 100% legal, great to ride and has tracks, waypoints and a nicley pinned down route that works for most gps units.

However, we can't do it alone, we need everyone's track data, waypoints and notes in order to put it all together. As far as proven routes go we currenty have the TWVT > PA Connector > TNJT > NY Connector (in progress) > TMAT > VT Puppy Dog Route. So, I'm really looking for more data for ME, NH and CT and of course anything south of WV. I rarley go in that direction but Chips down there and does a great job of putting routes together and collecting data. However, if anyone wants to help out in the deep south (ie: FL, GA) please contact me, I plan on being in western FL this November.

I'm also interested in learning if you'd rather ride the best roads and cover less states or ride through more states (ie: PA and NY have a ton of great roads but you'd miss out on the other states by staying in NY up towards Canada via the ADK and over to ME via VT > NH. This is why my AT route followed the AT hiking trail because the hiking trail is all in the mountains and hits most of the east coast states.

Also, I'm interested in seeing your tracks and routes that may be off the AT route, maybe it's worth a re-route. My only requirement is that at the time it's 100% legal to ride.

Since I'm into street bikes now I'm also interested in a twisty route alternative to the adventure routes.

--

rob23 screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 08:43 PM
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

I added the link and description of the Twvt to the second post. Who's next?

I await a volunteer, I don't want to tread on anybodies files. PM me or post up and I will add the links and description.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
MikeBike4
Hacked

Thumb Winter Time to Ride!

As the riding season moves south this year, i'll be doing the same. When the snow hits the ground in WV this winter i could spend some time in Ga. chunkin' bread and relayin' tracks. The only riding in Ga. for me so far has been Durhamtown Plantation, a 8000 acre privately owned orv park with all the ammenities. But i'd love to do some Dualin' and help with the TET anywhere needed.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,458
Sounds cool! I'd say why limit it to North/South? The more directions it goes the more choices people will have (and hopefully incentive to add to it).

I had a question about your color code . . .
Is green essentially gravel/dirt road - or asphalt? If dirt road, maybe there should be a color for regular old road. That way, if somebody has a track that is 90% dirt, it can still be added but people are aware there will be a bit of pavement. I haven't found anything within 50 miles of DC where you can go for an extended period off pavement (20+ miles).
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #11
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Is green essentially gravel/dirt road - or asphalt?
Somewhere between 20 and 30% of the tracks from Jersey to Jellico are asphalt. I don't think you can get that far, legally or not, without running some of it. Green includes all three that you mentioned. We do have to get into town to get gas and beer, not necessarily in that order, right?

The Eastern section of the TAT is 70-80% pavement by contrast. Of what I laid out in Kentucky, a little over 20 miles has been paved in the past four months. Kentucky is working on a section near Elkhorn City that I fear will take a beautiful piece of blue soon. West Virginia has corridor H in high gear near Forman, they cut me off in a section there before I could release. I used to get upset over these things, but after riding the Eastern TAT not so much.

The TAT ride opened my eyes that it doesn't have to be 100% teeth grinding dirt to be fun. The sites, the smells, and most importantly the people were the things that will remain with me.

Just take what Mother Nature and the DOT give you, be it a ridge line run on pavement with a magnificent view or a run up Lucifer Branch.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBike4
As the riding season moves south this year, i'll be doing the same.

Damn snow birds, you make me sick.

I took the tip that you gave me on the road East at the top of Big Walker and laid out a route to Damascus VA from Peeled Chestnut. I think that is my winter project.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #13
MikeBike4
Hacked

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Damn snow birds, you make me sick.

I took the tip that you gave me on the road East at the top of Big Walker and laid out a route to Damascus VA from Peeled Chestnut. I think that is my winter project.
Don't puke in your balaclava! I'm very happy to contribute to your labours.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBike4
Good idea Chip! But if you want sober cooperation, i may have to be retrained! I'm in though!
I doubt retraining would be necessary... You may have more company than you know...

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #15
MikeBike4
Hacked

Thumb Time to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman101
I doubt retraining would be necessary... You may have more company than you know...
Anytime Turkey, i'm in Camp Creek for 2 weeks, c'mon.