ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBike4
Anytime Turkey, i'm in Camp Creek for 2 weeks, c'mon.
Might be a good time to finish off an ailing KLR... , or more smartly... beg to borrow a spare machine from a navigator.... Will try to hook up. I've been out of the game a bit too long recovering from a minor injury, mostly to my pride. I know the Camp Creek area pretty well!

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Thumb

I have been talking to Chip for a couple of weeks about including the Trans-Mass Trail into the TET. We've been working out the details and it looks like it will roll out soon.

I'm very excited to have some small part in this project.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
I am willing to work on a NY route , if someone wants to give me a file.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley

If it were me, I would start with this. Just sayin'.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,165
Here in Central NJ and willing to help.

MoBill screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 05:28 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
I'm here to help out in GA if there are others around this area that want to get going. I rode the Eastern TAT earlier this year and it really has me interested in something like this for the East Coast. Granted it sounds like it might be awhile before we can connect GA to any other states since its still pretty far north above WV, but its a start to get stuff mapped out here.

I live SW of Atlanta in Newnan. We are far enough out in the suburbs that there are some gravel/dirt roads around and if you stay far enough West of Atlanta, over towards the AL border, there are plenty of options for dirt roads that take you all the way to the north part of the state.

N. GA mountains obviously has a ton of great FS roads that can be incorporated too and cross into TN/NC area somewhere and keep going north from there.

I'm very proficient with using Garmin's MapSource to plan routes, record and manipulate tracks, etc so I'm good there. I think the best thing I could start doing now is going on rides and finding the gravel dirt roads, label them on a map and start trying to figure out the best way to connect all the dirt roads.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
A vote for using the Trans - Appalachian Trail as a start

I've ridden the TAT... twice.
I've ridden the CDR.
I've ridden what exists of the SOR (Sam's new route).

I like the idea of using Rob's Trans - Appalachian Trail as a basis for a route.... the first goal of a long route is to get somewhere.... while finding the hidden jewels along the way.

Because you are going a long way for a long period of time, you DON'T want too rough of trails that wear you down and beat you up too much. What Sam generally does is - as Doc Rock puts it - is give you a special section of tough stuff followed by transit sections.... good plan. Each day has one to several special sections, but mostly transit sections - abet scenic transit sections.

OK, using the Trans - Appalachian Trail as a framework, I think it would be a good idea to verify it, if need be add some 'special sections', but use it as a general guide for the route. The hiking Appalachian Trail is well known and well respected, why not use it's facilities? Campgrounds, lodging, etc?

The CDR does that.... and I had more fun riding the CDR than I did large parts of the TAT.

What would be really cool would be to clean up and finish the TAP, extend it southward to FL and northward to Canada, which would give you a 'smooth' route.

Then build a zig zag route using Puppy Butt, TMAT, NY connector, TNJT, connector, TWVT, and other stuff southward.... just finish it someplace at or near the 'smooth' route.

This way you could take the smooth route one way and eventally take the zig zag route back. Do it all at once, or start in the middle and do a northerm half or southern half. Whatever!

This is kinda what Sam is doing with the SOR.... use the CDR in one direction, the SOR in the other. They are about 150 miles apart at the southern end, they cross in Salida CO, and who knows where they will end at the northern end (the SOR isn't done).

Just some long term thoughts......

I'll be riding/verifying from FL north starting in early April or late March - so get some stuff thrown out there!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
Here in Central NJ and willing to help.

WPBarlow can vouch for my recon skillz...or lack thereof. Here if you need a hand...have WR and willing to crash.
Careful man... I earned the nickname 'splat' during my travels on this journey! (lol) by the way... welcome home MoBill! Ride Safe!

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #24
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman101
Careful man... I earned the nickname 'splat' during my travels on this journey! (lol) by the way... welcome home MoBill! Ride Safe!
All good--I've had some violent off's in the last 2 months...need to dial it back...but I've learned the best lessons that way. And've seen some great spots...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,437
My buddy (V Stom) and I (Uly) plan on working on some of the PA stuff next summer. I have several routes from Rob (and others) that I downloaded here. From the MD border up north to Harrisburg looks pretty well done. (I want to ride that piece through Michaux :) ) I still need to look at more routes that I have downloaded.

Our desire is to find a route from the Poconos, head west towards North central PA. Kind of follow 6 west, then come down through Sproal and Elk forest, then down and loop around Penn State, to connect into Robs trails somewhere above Harrisburg. I know it's a lot more then we can handle in one summer (since we both work full time). But I know there are people on here that live all along that route!
I believe the idea of this trail is to route out beautiful riding, not cover states as fast as we can. I think if we can add this loop to pa it would only enhance the complete trip.

We will be doing 2 day trips with 1 night camping. We are looking for routes that bigger bikes like we ride can follow.

Currently I have been taking people on some beautiful rides through Lancaster County PA, but it's all blacktop. I just got my Uly this fall. Now we plan on getting away from all the blacktop. (I used to ride ECEA enduros for several years, so off road is not new to me.)
Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #26
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Nice turnout, I like this. We have scouts, data mules, and navigators.

I started a compilation of nav aids that have helped me quite some time ago here. The county DOT maps have been invaluable. Have a look, if you have anything to add, post up in that thread and I will add it. Let's make all the tools that we know of available.

The TMAT is close. We have to get over a hosting issue and we are done, for now.

I have considered trying to make up a doc file for some protocols. Not hard rules, but suggestions on the language we are going to speak would be nice. Let me know your thoughts on that, a lot of it may seem obvious to some, but it would help all of us to have some sense of a norm.

I encourage each of you that have a vision for a particular area to start an LDT thread to that effect. We will be much better served with the particulars in a dedicated thread. I will link these "project" threads in the second post. I will add some descriptive line along with a percent completion. That will certainly be a subjective value, but I am sure you can give me a number. This is not meant to discourage any and/or all discussions in this thread. If you want the development of a project in this thread, I welcome it. But, my main intent is simply for the seed to be planted here, and to allow a place that is simple to harvest from(the second thread). I am sure you will be able to find plenty of fertilizer here also.

I have an inmate volunteer for hosting files, up to a point. I prefer to handle the goods via e-mail. The file hosting on the site here has been spotty at best. If you simply want to supply a link for anyone to download PM me and I will hook you and "the hoster" up.

I have a thousand more thoughts and comments. I have some PM's and politickin' to do, and then some thoughts on some of the previous posts.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley

I think you should start a thread in LDT and link the map that you created. That is a nice file, and the regional thread did get a good amount of traffic. Bump your thread in regional with a link to the new LDT thread. That should generate some traffic and some local help for you. I'll link to your thread in LDT.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #28
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
I'm here to help out in GA

I'm workin' on you a dance partner, I sent a PM to the other side a few minutes ago.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
This way you could take the smooth route one way and eventally take the zig zag route back. Do it all at once, or start in the middle and do a northerm half or southern half. Whatever!

I think you speak words of wisdom. We can have it all.

Damned if you aren't a hard one to stay ahead of NT. The N/S run through WV should suit you well on this run, and the new KY route may be a little out of the way but it is new. I am worried about having something South ready in your time frame.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
My buddy (V Stom) and I (Uly) plan on working on some of the PA stuff next summer.
Start a thread in LDT and name this thing. Do the regional thread thing and link.

Don't worry about the time, you hit it on the head with this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
I believe the idea of this trail is to route out beautiful riding