ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #31
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up
I have been talking to Chip for a couple of weeks about including the Trans-Mass Trail into the TET. We've been working out the details and it looks like it will roll out soon.

I'm very excited to have some small part in this project.
If you give me an end point I can connect WV to MA via PA, NJ, NY. Is CT worth going into? If so, if you could handle CT I will handle the rest.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #32
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Check out post 2 folks. Rob, you can get your point in Conn if you follow the links.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 687
FYI -

I posted a mapsource file for a recent trip we took from Charleston SC to Florence AL as the first connecting leg in a Coast -to- Coast trip along the TAT. We intend to connect to the MS part of the TAT from Florence AL next Spring and continue along the TAT. (Our feeling was: " if you are going from TN to Oregon, you might as well start at the Atlantic and make it a Coast to Coast trip.") Our route was about 50/50 pavement and dirt. The sections accross N GA are really nice.

The file is halfway down the thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=charleston

Lastly, yes... I know BlueLightening.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #34
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer
FYI -

I posted a mapsource file for a recent trip we took from Charleston SC to Florence AL as the first connecting leg in a Coast -to- Coast trip along the TAT. We intend to connect to the MS part of the TAT from Florence AL next Spring and continue along the TAT. (Our feeling was: " if you are going from TN to Oregon, you might as well start at the Atlantic and make it a Coast to Coast trip.") Our route was about 50/50 pavement and dirt. The sections accross N GA are really nice.

The file is halfway down the thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=charleston

Lastly, yes... I know BlueLightening.
Hey Venturer! I haven't ridden with you in what seems like forever! I'm going to have to check out your link and the route you posted. I'm sure you used some great roads in N. GA.

That would be awesome from our side of the world to connect from Charleston, SC to the MS TAT.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #35
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

I added C2C to the second post.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #36
Serge LeMay
Dirtmedic

Oddometer: 82
Any of you southerner thought of crossing the border north?

trails are forever long and the beer is good not to mention the girls
Serge LeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge LeMay
Any of you southerner thought of crossing the border north?

Where do we meet you?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #38
Serge LeMay
Dirtmedic

Oddometer: 82
Anywhere along the border of the new england states and quebec...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308084
Serge LeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #39
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

I am in hunting camp with limited internet access. I can't download the file, but the screen shots look great. I'll have a look at the file toward the end of the week. I wonder if touche wants to join the party?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #40
touche
RidAventure maniac

Oddometer: 165
Interesting post... here is my contribution

Raid RidAventure is a road that circles the Quebec north of the St-Laurence river. 2300 km of gravel roads, wildlife reserves, natural parks, outfitters, ATV trail and old railways.

This road is easily feasible on big bikes when dry, but sand is some places quite present, the road is becoming difficult in wet weather, as are all roads of adventure ... knobbies are not an option here...

Attached gpx file is the track I brought back from my last june expedition.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx RaidJuin2009 tracks gpx.gpx (1,023.8 KB, 191 views)

touche screwed with this post 11-30-2009 at 11:58 AM
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #41
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Thank you touche, I added the link in post two.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #42
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,799
Myself and at least one other are working on a big piece of this trail system for PA

I already have three days riding @ 6-7 hours each day planned out, including 2 motorcycle friendly campgrounds.

Our route starts at Cabelas in Hamburg PA and runs out to Elk state forest. From Elk we start south down through Penn State U, and on down to the north side of harrisburg, with a goal of hitting the Michaux state forest for the next night stay.

Our loop includes Camping in quiet oaks campground in Crossfork pa (showers and cabins for cheep) and 7 mountains campground. We have a route figured out all the way down to the north side of Harrisburg.

From 7 mountains campground (in my section) to Michaux would be a good days ride leaving some time to play around inside Michaux.

We have our hands full with the section we are already working on as it has over 600 miles in it. If someone wants to meet up with our route north of Harrisburg and continue down to Michaux and south to the next team let us know and I we will communicate meeting points.

I know someone else on here already has knowledge of the Harrisburg to Michaux section because I have seen it in the file I picked up here named "PA_Md_Wv_v4_NoTracks" (sorry, I forgot who made it :( )

In the next month or so I will post the beta route here for those that want to put loops on the west side. This way you will know how far the riders have already been riding when they pickup your loop so you know where to stop for the night, as well as where to connect back into our loop.

We also need someone else to volunteer to do the route from where the trail comes into PA (I think from NJ?) then route through the Poconos and down to Cabelas in hamburg. Keep in mind when the riders leave Cabelas they will be starting on a full days ride so you need camping not far from Cabelas. (You also need to take into account how long they have been riding when they cross the border into your section so you know where to stop for the night).

Now my problem:
I found a map of all the dirt roads in PA, but it's GIS type data that consist of several files.
I can view it and see the roads with an application I have, but I need to convert it into a map layer I can use with Mapsource. It does not have to be routeable, I just need to be able to switch to it in mapsource (like I currently switch between City Navigator and Pennsylvania Topo Planimetric maps) so I can know for sure if a road is stone/dirt or blacktop as I put the finishing touches on our route.

Any mapping experts out here that can help, please PM me . It will save me lots of time!
I would be happy to share this once we get it converted.

Our route will take us several 3 day weekends to test/adjust and record fuel/food so it might be ready mid summer time.
My team is dedicated; we have enough vacation time next year,we are a bunch of old Boy Scouts and we are looking forward to this, but we also have family's so we will do the best we can at getting our section done.

We are riding a Buell Ulysses and a Wee Storm and we both are using Garmin GPS products.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #43
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

towpro,

The Twvt touches on some the the spots that you mentioned. Follow the link and I will hook you up with a copy. I should be able to help you on the Southern end.

The file you refer to is almost certainly from rob23. I would suspect from this thread.

Have a look at this for your map translation issue. In the second post under the PC Software header are some resources that may help. Have a look at the one for homebrew in your garmin.

I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm, I wish I could help more on the map.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #44
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,799
One reason I have not posted any pictures or routes yet is things keep changing.

Looking at maps today at Lunch, I see no reason to even go near Harrisburg.

I am going to change the route to leave 7 mountains, then come south between Newville and Orbisonia into Michaux. This would also let me stay in the mountains (more stone/dirt roads) and hit both Tuscarora and Michaux area. Mapquest shows around 100 miles, but that is before I start to pick the route :) This would leave time for the riders to play in Michaux (or have a short day as a rest break)

I have a buddy below below Orbisonia I am going to try to get involved in that side

TowPro screwed with this post 12-10-2009 at 10:17 AM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #45
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
yeah, Harrisburg sucks, right Chip! Look at the TWVT there's routes to Michaux and Greenridge, MD from southern PA.

Crossforks in near NYS if I can remember from ridding the Rattlesnake Enduro. Lots of great dirt roads around there.

There should be a loop that skips NJ and goes from Northern PA > NYS > Catskills > ADK > Lake George > VT. Any NYS experts out there? I have some good routes to share if you want to complete that route.

--

I'm working on a new route using the best of the TNJT to connect TNJT > NYS/Bear Mtn > CT > TMAT. If anyone has any good CT routes please email me: rob 23 at gps route builder dot com. I have one route that connects TNJT to TMAT via CT from a few years ago, don't know how good it is.

I guess I should also put in a route from Frenchtown, NJ to the beach so the route goes the Atlantic and ends up at Jersey Shore, it'
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote